• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks! Soproni was decent, agreed, especially so for a supermarket brew.

Good news on Japanese beer, I've tried a few (4 to be exact) I've had in Asda, some decent stuff to be fair!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
Just to stick my nose in with reference to the last couple of posts, particularly to Tech and The_Train but the advice applies to all.

I often get behind with my reports as well - it can be time consuming and the longer you leave them the harder it is to remember all the detail, so you put pressure on yourself. I totally get that. When it begins to feel like a chore though, I just leave it alone for a couple of weeks. Don't put pressure on yourself to do them.

Another few rules I go by...

1) Don't write trip reports for anyone elses' benefit, write them for yourself. Share them by all means, but I treat them more like a journal. And don't worry too much about the format - as long as it's in decent standard English I'll read anything!

2) Record more detail than you think you'll ever need. Future proofs your records (how I wish I recorded haulages back when I was a kid...)

3) Never delete/throw anything away !

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some very wise words there, particularly with recording haulages. My record keeping in the mid-2000s was not very in-depth and I'll always regret that.

My trip reports are primarily written for myself as well as others, after all I do go back to them after a good long time and re-read them. So they have to be an entertaining read for my future self too, not an easy task that!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
23/10/2019 - Lord Quest of The Shire CAFs It Up

I honestly couldn't think of a better title for this report! I changed it at least once, and this is all written 8 days after the event so it won't be quite the usual ramble-fest!

The day before I'd had an idea to go visit my little sister on my days off last week, so at break time I'd checked fares and what she was up to. As she was working on the Wednesday but day off on the Thursday, I took advantage of my first trip to Merseyside in a significant amount of time.

It was up early at 0530, and I got carried away on the forum so left the phone charger behind much to my later frustration! I had had more than enough as it turned out to check I had everything with me, as despite leaving enough time to stroll to the station instead of the more usual power-walk, it was a little brisk so it was a case of pounding the pavement after all! I'd arrived just in time to see the reversal movement, and it appeared to have a 170 on the back. Oh god no, please have a 153 on the other end...

Thankfully I was in luck, as the 0709 to Birmingham New Street was 170509+153356+153366. The 0732 was a 170/6, and I had nearly booked that train because it runs non-stop through Bromsgrove. The 0709 reverses at Shrub Hill, and I don't know why but that crawl into, out of Shrub Hill and the wait there is so mind-numbingly boring I despise going on trains that way if I can avoid it. However it meant 25 more minutes in Liverpool, and that was more important, so I booked the 0709.

So Lord Quest, if you're going to Liverpool why not go via Shrewsbury, I hear you all ask. After all it avoids 170s! Well yes, it would mean a 158 or 175 normally, but the Advances at just £11.50 each way via Birmingham were so much cheaper than anything TfW can ever provide. I do need to return to Shrewsbury one day actually...Anyway, before I distract myself even more...I spent the vast majority of the foggy morning reading Jeffrey Archer's Heads You Win. I'd started it ages before the trip, but I was adamant I would finish it before I got back to Hereford. After all, he has a new one out and I'd like to get caught up with the three Linwood Barclay books I have to read yet! Eventually it was into Birmingham New Street, and I realised it won't be much longer until the 196s begin running. Soon enough the 153s, 170s and 172s will leave my patch and that just feels weird. You know, there may have to be a WMDR in the coming months...

ANYWAY! I keep getting distracted [this is what it's like when typing these up as it goes on the trip itself! Not helped by blasting Hixxy's Bonkers 12 mix as this is typed! - Ed!] this morning!

It was bitterly bracing in Birmingham, and I shivered away with my Pret coffee before boarding 350102 on the 0904 to Liverpool Lime Street. The train was nice and quiet after the commuters had got off, and I chose an airline seat and got the book out again. It was my first trip heading towards Wolverhampton and the north in a long time, however, and I kept getting distracted by looking out of the window. Once past Wolverhampton, it was easier to focus on reading until Stafford. Somehow I settled into reading again once we moved over onto the fast lines, I had forgotten how much the 350s storm up the WCML!

Crewe LNWR gave me my first sight of the 397s with 397004, and they look pretty awesome. The 710s have finally been seen in the flesh, and 710107 was observed here too. Bring on my first trip on both! Some slow running was had to Winsford, and by Runcorn the fog had finally given way to the forecast sunshine. More or less on time into Liverpool, and an EMR 153 on the 1051 caught my eye. An All Areas Saveaway for £5.40 was quickly sourced, and frustratingly my needs list did not have the 153s in it yet. Of course, it does now but 153374 left with a 158 without me, although I had something better.

Winner 156465, ex-ScotRail, was leading the 1056 to Manchester Oxford Road, so on I got for the all-shacks ride to Liverpool South Parkway. 156428 on the back, happily dud. It was still bitterly cold here, a coffee would have been welcome! Dud 156429 took me back into Liverpool, and the 331s on Edge Hill were so new they still had plastic wrap on the seats and 'CAF Zaragoza' stickers in the windows!

Caffe Nero was my next stop, and I now had gen on my final 185 for haulage. So plans were being formulated, and at that point it appeared my best move was a reasonable run on 323236. I had gone that side of the barriers anyway, mostly to ID the 185 as my gen came through just after I passed the barrier, and the 319s were dud. I hadn't done a 323 in this part of the world before, so it was oddly satisfying!

I ended up bailing at Huyton, and winner 331005 arrived to take me back to Liverpool. A 68+MK5 set passed us after I had boarded, heading for Liverpool, so the chase was on! First impressions of the 331s were most positive, these CAF units have a bit of a European look to them, as if they'd just been transferred from working local services out of Valencia! Quite, if the screens had announced it as the 1226 to Alicante I'd have not batted an eyelid!

Nicely comfortable for such new trains though, it was rather full though so I can't comment on anything else but the tables seemed a good size. We rolled in right next to winner 68028, my good grief I'd not heard that noise or smelt that smell in a good long while! Eventually the doors were unlocked and I immediately fell in love with these CAF MK5s. Beautiful interior and surprisingly comfortable for such new carriages!

First stop was Lea Green, and I started nattering to a local enthusiast who genned me up with a 68 coming up shortly back to Liverpool. So we crossed over and got onto winner 68025. Obviously there were photos taken, and after a bit of wandering about I saw the lad from Runcorn off and I ended up deciding the next best move was 68025 again. After all, the 1400 to Warrington Bank Quay had been cancelled, which I had been looking to use.

By now I was really hungry, and considered a meal in the pub at Lea Green. However I decided some 185 action back to Liverpool was a better idea when a fairly quiet 185114 rolled in. Once back at Lime Street after a slow run, I saw a winner 156 on the 1451 to Norwich. I raced out to the nearby Sainsburys, and with no bacon sandwiches left and a pretty much bare hot food cabinet I ended up with some cheese-topped rolls and a packet of honey roast ham slices. Used to do that sort of thing all the time, so a weird bit of nostalgia!

It would be a tight connection at South Parkway, but I could do it so boarded winner 156411 and dud 158852 for the leap. As soon as the door opened I raced up the stairs so fast I nearly went flying! Thank Goodness for good grips on the boots and it not being s wet staircase! The late running TfW 150 was missed anyway, and 350106 rolled in a few minutes later. I hadn't recalled it had been refurbished, but I was very impressed with the job done on it. I'll be very much keen to try it on a Birmingham to London run in the future! Once back at Lime Street the plan went out of the window...

Originally I had planned to do the 1528 to Crewe as far as Newton-le-Willows with a +40 or so there for my last 185, then head to my sister's place. Yeah, that was until I saw what was on the 1528 to Crewe...

Winner 319385 was on it, highly noteable as it was my last 319 to get! 319422 remains on my list, despite it being supposedly being in the queue for conversion to a 769. Until it definitely happens, it remains on my list however I'm also treating it as no longer existing as a 319 so technically the 319s are cleared at long last!

Naturally I took a seat in the motor coach and I was soon nice and toasty again. This 319 was certainly nicely noisy too, and I ended up downloading the Northern app and booking a last minute Advance to carry on past Newton-le-Willows all the way to Crewe for £8! Quite, until Kite159 mentioned the idea I had dismissed it as I didn't realise the Northern app allows for in-app barcode tickets unlike the TPX app. So with no need to collect the ticket from a machine I got that sorted ASAP and settled in for a nice and cosy, not to mention thrashy, ride all the way to Crewe!

By gum the racket the motors made on the long stretch between Newton-le-Willows and Patricroft was just incredible. It's fair to say the ears were very pleased! Congestion in Manchester led to a 12 minute delay out of Piccadilly, and thankfully the alcohol-fuelled noise from the blokes behind me got off at Manchester Airport. Thanks to some padding we were on time again now, and after Alderley Edge it was non-stop to Holmes Chapel. The motors were certainly screaming on that section!

Ever so slightly early into Crewe, and I have to confess to being glad to being back on my feet after that 2 and a quarter hour run, having not got out of my seat all the way until a little after Sandbach. The walk to Crewe Dump Station (also known as Crewe Bus Station) did my legs some good! By gum what happened to Crewe? It's become so much of a ghost town it's hard to believe!

Eventually the bus I need arrived, and while glad to leave Crewe behind and arrive at my sister's place the roads in Crewe made some of the pavements here in Hereford look perfect! I'd go on more about Arriva North West's useless operation, but let's not as I need to charge my phone...

So yeah, sorry about rambling on in multiple places there!

Kite159

Veteran Member
The fast ten mile section from Newton towards Particroft is indeed fun, gives the Northern 323s a nice work out as well.

Sounded like a good day in Merseyside :)

The_Train

Established Member
I feel like I've missed out on waving rail forums royalty through my local having read your latest outing :E

Sounds like a nice trip to Merseyside mate and congrats on clearing the 319s. The less said about Crewe the better I think ;):lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I feel like I've missed out on waving rail forums royalty through my local having read your latest outing :E

I actually put my book down while at Stafford to see if I would have figured out your presence! It was, admittedly, also to see if that train did the new Down Slow configuration at Norton Bridge, but once we moved to the Down Main I went back to the book.

Sounds like a nice trip to Merseyside mate and congrats on clearing the 319s. The less said about Crewe the better I think ;):lol:

Thanks! It did feel weird going to Merseyside and not going on MerseyRail, which is something I need to do some time to have a farewell to the 507s and 508s.

As for Crewe, I agree. I did discover, by chance, there's a couple of Untappd Verified Venues somewhere there though, so I'm going to have to investigate one day. Not for a good while though!

I do have a vague idea about doing a WMDR some time after the 196s enter service though, so I may end up in Stafford too on that day. But that's ages off yet!

In less than 166 hours I'll be en-route to Frankfurt, oh my good grief I can't wait to get out on another exploration already!

Iskra

Established Member
Sounded like a good trip there Tech. Sadly I still need to sample delights of CAF (although I did try for a 331 diagram but a 321 turned up at Donny.) I can feel a South Pennine Day Ranger coming up for some 68 action as the MK5’s do look rather good.

The_Train

Established Member
I actually put my book down while at Stafford to see if I would have figured out your presence! It was, admittedly, also to see if that train did the new Down Slow configuration at Norton Bridge, but once we moved to the Down Main I went back to the book.

That wasn't a day that I visited....one of the few days haha. I'm also rarely there that early if I do venture down.

Thanks! It did feel weird going to Merseyside and not going on MerseyRail, which is something I need to do some time to have a farewell to the 507s and 508s.

I'm off to Merseyrail land on Thursday to see if I can get a bit closer to clearing those units before they disappear.

As for Crewe, I agree. I did discover, by chance, there's a couple of Untappd Verified Venues somewhere there though, so I'm going to have to investigate one day. Not for a good while though!

Yeah I wouldn't investigate too long. Doesn't have a reputation as a welcoming place these days. I was chatting to a lady at Stafford last week and she was telling me that she moved to Crewe 40+ years ago and she still doesn't feel overly welcome there :lol:

I do have a vague idea about doing a WMDR some time after the 196s enter service though, so I may end up in Stafford too on that day. But that's ages off yet!

You'll have to let me know so I can pop down. Not sure on where things are at with the 196s so can't say when they will be in service. No-one seems to be getting too excited about them just yet so I'm guessing it's not in the imminent future.

In less than 166 hours I'll be en-route to Frankfurt, oh my good grief I can't wait to get out on another exploration already!

Sounds good mate. Is that a trip to Frankfurt or you connecting there for some other far flung destination?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good trip there Tech. Sadly I still need to sample delights of CAF (although I did try for a 331 diagram but a 321 turned up at Donny.) I can feel a South Pennine Day Ranger coming up for some 68 action as the MK5’s do look rather good.

They really are nice, I'm looking forward to a longer run on them eventually. It's on a long list of stuff to do and while I have a couple of days free coming up they are scheduled for resting up after my next World Frenzy trip. Good chance I'll be on the rails somewhere though!

I'm off to Merseyrail land on Thursday to see if I can get a bit closer to clearing those units before they disappear.

Good luck! It took me forever to get my last ones, and I still can't used to the new stuff being allocated to 777. My aviation nerd side of me keeps thinking of big planes when I read 777. And just like that, I'm hearing the spool-up of the GE90 engines, oh that has me grinning! It's fair to say I'm looking to my flight on a 777 next week :D

Yeah I wouldn't investigate too long. Doesn't have a reputation as a welcoming place these days. I was chatting to a lady at Stafford last week and she was telling me that she moved to Crewe 40+ years ago and she still doesn't feel overly welcome there :lol:

I get where she's coming from, I've never felt comfortable in Crewe either. There's a weird vibe there, and I feel more at Waterloo than I do in Crewe. I've no idea what it is with Waterloo, I always feel like I'm invading foreign territory there! Similar but not as bad at Kings Cross.

You'll have to let me know so I can pop down. Not sure on where things are at with the 196s so can't say when they will be in service. No-one seems to be getting too excited about them just yet so I'm guessing it's not in the imminent future.

I've not heard much for ages about the 196s, so yeah it'll probably be a while yet. I'll PM you when I have an actual idea of when I'm going to be in Stafford, probably going to be a while yet as winter is an ultra-expensive time of year here.

Sounds good mate. Is that a trip to Frankfurt or you connecting there for some other far flung destination?

Sadly not visiting Germany properly on this trip, that's still in the pipeline for a mini break next year. On this occasion, it's simply connecting onto another flight, this time I'm trying out Japan Airlines for the first time, aboard one of their 787s from Frankfurt to Tokyo Narita. I depart Heathrow on Monday afternoon, I'm using this afternoon to finish up planning (cheapest airport links, that kind of thing) and starting to learn some key Japanese words today and tomorrow. It's fair to say I'm looking forward to seeing Tokyo, although it feels a little wrong that it's the aviation bits I'm looking forward to the most!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
10/11/2019 - The Prelude to Tokyo

This isn't going to be a long trip report, as there wasn't a ton to say really, but here goes anyway:

Having also gone to work, but managing to get away slightly early, prep for the final World Frenzy trip of 2019 was completed. By cripes, as I type this up in easyHotel Croydon trying to fill time (it's a little gone 06:30 as I type and I don't need to be at Heathrow for 6 hours yet), when I look back at the entire year it has to be said it's been a crazy one. Denmark, Australia, Lithuania, Latvia, Hungary and shortly Japan too, just wow! Of course there's plenty of other things too to look back on, but just in terms of world exploration that is incredible. What will 2020 bring? Well in January 2020 it's LA and Krakow, after which there is currently nothing booked. That will change soon!

So, sorry, this is the problem of doing these on the fly, easy to get distracted! Anyway, it was off to the station via Morrisons, and eventually I was on 170514+170632 to Birmingham. I spent the majority of it finishing off lunch, having a small beer and reading. After following a delayed CrossCity service, it was straight over to platform 6 for 390001 to London Euston. It looked weird seeing no Virgin logos on the train, it will be sad to see Virgin go!

Another small beer was enjoyed around Coventry (I wasn't going to leave them in my fridge for someone to potentially nick!) and before long I got a coffee on the non-stop run to Euston after Rugby. It's been ages since I enjoyed the tilting, and I couldn't be bothered with reading on such a fun journey! Arrival into Euston was slightly early, and it took what felt like ages to get from the train to the concourse, so many people got off that train! Priority Alpha was checking in for my flights, and I managed to change to a window seat on the first flight which was a surprise.

I had been given an aisle seat, which was a surprise, but for the only bit of the flights in daylight I fancied a window seat on this one. By some sheer fortune, I'd been allocated an aisle seat on the overnight flight, but we'll go into that in the main report, let's get back to the railway bit!

So with that done, I settled on a march to Euston Square. I hadn't seen until then the new taxi rank bit, forgetting of course that bit of Euston is now being re-done for HS2. That will be fun when it's open, I'm definitely going for a spin on that at my first opportunity! I was at Euston Square quicker than normal somehow, and eventually after ages I saw a winning S8 head to Aldgate. So I changed to the eastbound platform, and it felt like ages until I got moving but finally I was on winners 21071+21072 to Kings Cross St Pancras.

By some fortune, about 10 minutes later (why does 10 minutes on a busy LU station feel like 10 hours?!) I was back on the move, this time to Great Portland Street with winners 21041+21042. Much nicer place to wait for a train, must remember it in future! After a while I gave up and joined duds 21561+21562 to Edgeware Road.

After a good while there, I gave up and decided to take a break at Brewdog nearby. With the winners much more plentiful there, and an urgent PNB had, it was back to LU and try again. By now I was ready to call it quits on this bit of line too, investigating the south side of the Circle was necessary. Duds 21481+21482 took me to Gloucester Road, and the right side of my headphones gave up on me on that journey. Guess what I'd chucked the receipt for away just a few days before...

Due to untangling a pair of spare earphones, and not prepared, I could not run over to a winning S7 in time. Point of order, that bridge at the eastern end of Gloucester Road takes much longer to change platforms with than expected! Thankfully it wasn't long until I scored, with winners 21329+21330 taking me to Earls Court. The bridge at the eastern end here was far better for changing platforms, and to my surprise winning 21517+21518 produced to take me to Olympia. I've not been there on the District line in many years, I believe there were still unrefurbished D stock sets in operation at the time!

Back to Earls Court a few minutes later, and it was festering time for that winner I missed previously. I saw a winner head to Wimbledon, but time was getting on and by now the stomach was screaming at me, so it was to Victoria as soon as winners 21374+21373 rolled in from Ealing. 6 S7 pairs and 7 S8 pairs to go now, getting there! Once the urgent PNB was done, it was to Burger King, then I ended up by chance winner 377102 and dud 377429 for the trip to East Croydon.

Once I checked it I was doing not much else, could not be bothered to go back out! As it turned out it wasn't the best night of sleep anyway, but again that will be in the main report for the World Frenzy trip.

Don't forget, I'm also sharing updates on Twitter with hashtag #JulianosWorldFrenzy and the full report with photos will go live on Wordpress at techsworldfrenzy.wordpress.com as the week progresses. Now I've had a sandwich (100 bonus Nectar points was not to be sniffed at!) and a coffee from Pret, I suspect I'll be out again soon. Might just get to Heathrow early and do some spotting...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks! Here's the beginning of the Tokyo trip report:

11/11/2019 - Juliano's World Frenzy, Tokyo, Day 1

This trip was FINALLY here! I had booked it about 6 and a half months before departure, using the excellent BA Holidays service. I've now used this 4 times (Vienna, Toronto and Tallinn were the other occasions) and I will do so again in the future! Normally I prefer to book flights and accommodation on my own, but the crucial part here is the deposit scheme. That has made this trip possible, without it I'd have been unable to fund the entire trip at the time of booking. I would have possibly also spent more money, or made it cheaper but with inferior accommodation. That's how I did Australia for less than £650, settling for hostels. I didn't fancy that this time!

Why Tokyo? I love busy cities, and Tokyo is definitely one of those. Japan is also home to the world-famous Bullet Trains, and I must confess to always wanting to trying some of the unusual Pepsi and KitKat flavours that don't exist outside of Japan! I did make a bit of an error in booking this one though, booking to come back the day before I intended to. So I would only have 2 full days in Tokyo, but I had a feeling that would be enough anyway.

I couldn't turn down the trip when I got the suggested flights, which were London Heathrow to Frankfurt with BA, then Japan Airlines (a required airline for me) to Tokyo Narita. Coming back was all the way to London Heathrow, but from Tokyo Haneda instead. Yes I would have to endure an older Airbus 319/320/321 to Frankfurt, but I was booked on a 787 with Japan Airlines onwards and a 777 all the way back to the UK. Yes, yes and triple YES to those two!

I must confess to having a bit of a dance in the armchair at that idea! Three required airports as well, as well as more labels for my collection, oh yes that will do nicely. Oh, and despite the main flights being over 11 hours each (I think Haneda to Heathrow is scheduled at 12 hours 40 minutes) that's still classed as nothing compared to that flight on an A380 from Sydney to Abu Dhabi in March 2019. That was about 14 hours 40 minutes after all!

Well before the day of departure, I was more than excited! There was just the matter of getting to London Heathrow Airport first. Originally I had booked onto National Express on the day of the flight, but a few days later I got worried about possible traffic jams delaying me on the way to London, so I ended up paying for a trip to London via Birmingham and a night at easyHotel Croydon for the day before the trip. I'd been getting ready for this trip for quite a while before it came about, and it's fair to say fighting Holiday Mode at work was not easy! However, I finally got through that and it was straight home to pick up my holdall, passport and so on before racing back out to the station for my booked trains.

As that was all about trains and such like, with nothing really to do with the trip, let's skip over that bit. After a de-rance and so on at easyHotel, there was plenty of time to get to Heathrow so I didn't rush. Indeed, while enjoying my coffee from Pret I typed up a trip report on RailUK for the previous day's travels. Breakfast was a bacon sandwich from Sainsburys, after all 100 bonus Nectar points were not to be sniffed at! There was some buzzing noise coming in from somewhere, and a noisy air-conditioning unit, disturbing the sleep during the night so eventually I was up a little after 5am. By the time I'd done everything, it was nearly half 7 and nicely light outside. I still had 5 hours at that point until I wanted to be at Heathrow, so it was then time, before leaving the room, to decide which route I wanted to take.

It was decided eventually, once I got another coffee, to walk to West Croydon Bus Station and do the X26 to Heathrow Central Bus Station. Only £1.50 after all! A visit to a nearby Tesco Express was also done for a meal deal, which was devoured before the end of the bus journey. I just missed the 0800 departure, the next one at 0835 felt like a eternity away! Eventually it arrived and at 0837 we were off. Lots of reading got done, and the journey goes through some nice areas, providing rather useful links from Croydon to all manner of places that would take a while by rail.

By the time the bus got near Hatton Cross, the excitement for departure was getting quite major! The trek along the Northern Perimeter road got me two USA craft as they landed too, happy days! To think I was going to arrive at Heathrow from central London by rail...

At 1040 the bus finally arrived at Heathrow Central Bus Station, having been caught up in traffic quite a bit along the route. Following an essential move, it was to the trains where I joined dud 332002 for the trip to Terminal 5. I'd forgotten it's a bit of a march from the bus station, but that was most welcome after so much sitting around. Heathrow Express goes over to 387s soon, so the opportunity to say farewell to the 332s on this trip was welcome.

Upstairs in Departures, it was time to grab a coffee from Nero as I was still a little early for bag drop. I did get to score one of BA's short haul crafts, of which the A319s and A320s I'm doing rather well on so that was a bonus. Eventually it was time to get my Favourite Flying Tunes playlist going, then I headed to bag drop once I also collected my boarding pass for the connecting flight. By some way my holdall was the lightest bag I've ever checked in, at 4.7kg!

Security staff were also really friendly, a credit to the mighty London Heathrow T5, the best lot I've ever encountered in the world. With bag drop and security passed in just 10 minutes, it was time to get to Pret for a coffee and take a seat by the huge windows. The huge craft over the apron, such as the 747, were teasing me, less than 2 months until I will finally sample a Queen of the Skies! Eventually I got up for a wander around, and after much deciding I ended up in Wetherspoon for lunch/tea.

£13.15 for the BBQ chicken burger, with chips and 2 onion rings, but that burger came with a very nice size piece of chicken, some maple bacon, a slice of non-processed cheese and BBQ sauce. I certainly didn't take long devouring that, and it is a highly recommended meal!

After some more spotting the gate was revealed as A23. Not that far from A9 really, I was there in just a few minutes. More planes noted, but the highlight was BA's A319 G-EUPJ in retro BEA colours. This was done as part of a 100th anniversary for BA, so while it was before my time I appreciated seeing what came before me. Soon enough it was down the airbridge, where I discovered I had an A320neo, in the form of winner G-TTNJ, on BA910 to Frankfurt. Happy days!

I was at seat 24F quite quickly, and the small windows make one appreciate the large ones on 787s even more. Pushback was 3 minutes late at 1518, and it took until 1548 for us to taxi and queue up behind others before it was into the air. I did get a good few more planes scored for sight though, including some of BA's larger craft, so not too bad. After a while, the on-board catering made it to my row, and £4.45 later I had a can of Brewdog's Speedbird 100, a 4.8% IPA brewed specially for BA's 100th anniversary. Quite reasonable a beer too, for my own taste I'd have preferred a bit more strength but it was still good.

By 1742 (GMT+1 as we were now in the relevant timezone) descent was well underway and the seatbelt sign on. Just as well, as it got a little bumpy for a few moments! I was by then 250 pages into the book I had started a few days ago, and this was one of Linwood Barclay's best ones. Hard to put down for long! Of course, by now I was prepared and ready for a short connection in Frankfurt, transferring to Japan Airlines' JL408 1940 Frankfurt-Tokyo Narita aboard one of their 787s. That flight is scheduled for 11 hours and 20 minutes, much longer than the 'blink and it's over' sort of flight like I had done with BA!

It was back on the ground at 1759, with brakes on at the terminal at 1808, 8 minutes late. It took seemingly ages to get off the plane, but there was no reason to worry after all, as I had arrived at gate D2. The next flight was from D8, so happy days!

En-route to the gate, I took advantage of a filter water point. Then I discovered there's security screening next to the gate, so I took advantage of some WiFi to catch up on Twitter and WhatsApp, as well as obviously drink a litre of water. Fair to say I was refreshed!

Security took longer than expected, nowhere near the expected efficiency of Germany. There were seats with power nearby, so I took advantage of these to charge up, just in case I had none on the 787, and put my Favourite Flying Tunes on. It's a nice and clean, modern and smart, area to wait but very dull too. At that point, I just wanted to get on board and get back in the air! Quite, I was already planning the next adventure for after Krakow!

Boarding was very efficient, and the crew very welcoming. The cabin was beautiful, and just WOW at the legroom! The pillow and blanket at all seats were brilliant too, and the headphones didn't look too bad for Economy. For such a modern aircraft like the 787, for the record this was winner JA863J, a 787-9, the seat comfort was pretty impressive. The recline was not bad, especially as I was in seat 59G, an aisle seat right at the back. So far, I was exceptionally impressed! Customs papers to be filled in were handed about before departure, and pushback was 1 minute early at 1939. The distance to the runway was not much either, and it was roaring away into the air at 1956. Oh, and a quick flick through the movies selection revealed a great choice too, now the only concern was the catering, but I could foresee myself using Japan Airlines again very happily.

Shortly after takeoff, I got onto movies, as there was one I'd been wanting to see for ages, Toy Story 4. Glad I saw it at long last, and service began with a nice refreshing cold wet flannel. Eventually the drinks service on my side of the plane arrived, and I had been contemplating my choice since I saw the drinks menu in the seatback pocket before departure. I settled on trying a classic Japanese drink, sake. This is a 15-16% alcoholic drink, which also came with a packet of rice crackers. They were far better than expected, I'll gladly have more of those some time!

As for the sake, it was interesting. I can't say I'd rush to have more of it though. With the movie nearly over, meal service had finally made its way down my side of Economy. On the other side it got there much quicker, and the only option was the fish dish. Thankfully it was cod, and fair dos with the fruit salad, coleslaw thing, a small and slightly tough bread roll, the cold noodles which just smelled weird and a pot of salad, not to mention the Milka chocolate wafer round, or the Hagen Dazs raspberry sorbet, there was quite the nice bit of food. I didn't eat all of it of course, I just can't get on with coleslaw or salad. Oh and I got a can of Kirin Ichiban too, a beer I've had before from Asda and it was excellent now too. I sure recommend it.

What's also worth mentioning was it came with actual metal cutlery, which I have only otherwise seen on Etihad so far. Quite impressive! The green tea I had two small cups of, it was actually quite nice. The small coffee was reasonable too, better than what BA served in 2018 on my Canada trip and what Etihad served earlier this year. After Toy Story 4, I saw another movie I've wanted to see for a long time too. Say what you will about my desire to add it to my list, but I finally watched Disney's Frozen. A bit slow to begin with, but otherwise a well-written story. That put me on 257 logged movies, which memories tells me is something like 60 movies scored in 8 months!

I then figured it may be a good idea to try and doze off for a bit, but dippy duck me forgot to pack his earplugs and eye shades! The eye shades I'd have managed without, but the earplugs no. Besides, there was excitement about visiting somewhere new, sleep was going to be hard to come by!

ash39

Established Member
Sounds like a crazy trip, 11 hour flight for 2 nights !!

I'm not sure if you've flown Emirates before but they do 'proper' cutlery as well. I like the sound of the Sake - I'd give that a go!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I is jealous, bringing back memories of my trip in 2015.

I remember being jealous when reading your trip report, hard to believe it was that long ago!

Sounds like a crazy trip, 11 hour flight for 2 nights !!

I'm not sure if you've flown Emirates before but they do 'proper' cutlery as well. I like the sound of the Sake - I'd give that a go!

Not yet flown Emirates, might do one day, if I ever find a good enough reason to visit Dubai.

As for the long flights, meh! When I was trekking to immigration from the plane, I'd have happily got on another flight without leaving the airport. After some reasonable amount of time to stretch the legs of course!

Quite, it's the flights I looked forward to more than the destination. I'm already excited to jump on board and fly home, although I'd happily carry on to another destination first. Given the choice I'd go on a route that took me to the USA, in preparation for January when I would then complete a circle around the world.

fowler9

Established Member
I remember being jealous when reading your trip report, hard to believe it was that long ago!

Not yet flown Emirates, might do one day, if I ever find a good enough reason to visit Dubai.

As for the long flights, meh! When I was trekking to immigration from the plane, I'd have happily got on another flight without leaving the airport. After some reasonable amount of time to stretch the legs of course!

Quite, it's the flights I looked forward to more than the destination. I'm already excited to jump on board and fly home, although I'd happily carry on to another destination first. Given the choice I'd go on a route that took me to the USA, in preparation for January when I would then complete a circle around the world.
What do you need to complete the circumnavigation? Been lucky enough to do it myself.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What do you need to complete the circumnavigation? Been lucky enough to do it myself.

Depends on whether I complete the circumnavigation with an equator crossing or not. After 8th January 2020, a full round-the trip sticking to the Northern Hemisphere would mean needing LAX-NRT or HND. If I chose to do it with an equator crossing, it would be LAX-SYD.

Before I post Day 2 on here, the full trip report including photos is already on Wordpress, I've just added the LA trip to the BA app. The timeline reveals I counted the days wrong, it's only 50 days and 23 hours to go until I take off for LA! :D As I put it on Twitter, LET'S FLY ALREADY! :D

12/11/2019 - Juliano's World Frenzy, Tokyo, Day 2

After a while in the early hours of struggling with sleep, I ended up watching Spiderman: Far From Home. Not bad, although Spiderman's not a favourite franchise. Somehow, after taking advantage of no-one in the seats next to me, the legs went up and eventually I must have dozed off for a little over an hour. By now, with around 2 hours to go, the breakfast service had begun. And I was getting sore from so much sitting around! I've no idea what that breakfast was, but the fruit salad and strawberry yoghurt were, by far, the best bits of it. I managed some of the main course, but that took some doing.

Even so, it was something, having also got the last two packets of Sainsburys crisps I brought from home during the night. Now, after a bit of a leg stretch, it was time to get everything organised and ready for landing, as when I typed this paragraph there was only 650 miles to go. Got to be said, despite the issues sleeping as I expected, the flight went quick!

Landing was at 1427 (GMT+9 now) and arrival at Tokyo Narita Airport was at 1437, 23 minutes early. It was a nice sunny day too, which was a nice surprise, and pretty warm too. At immigration, first was a fingerprint scan and taking of a photo of your face, before joining the queue for passport check and disembarkation form checking. Narita Airport's Terminal 2 is undergoing a fair bit of refurbishment currently, the bits that have been done do look good though. After baggage reclaim, it was one final check of the passport (immigration put a sticker on one of the pages, it joins the USA as the only marks of a foreign country visit) and the customs form. All done within 30 minutes of the plane parking at the gate, not bad!

In the arrivals lobby, there's counters for train tickets but I knew the coach was cheaper. Kensai Bus have counters next to the train ticket counters, and a one-way ticket is just 1,000¥. By a long way that is cheaper than the train, and the journey time is apparently just one hour. Bargain! Tickets can be bought from the driver too for the same price, and coaches pick up at bus stop 19. I would thoroughly recommend this operator! Comfy seats, USB sockets, friendly staff, job done. I also got a bottle of sweetened coffee for the journey from one of the vending machines, 150¥ and although I don't normally like cold coffee this stuff was pretty nice!

After filling the coach up much more at Terminal 1, it was then non-stop to Tokyo Station. As one can no doubt imagine, there wasn't a lot to see from the motorway, so I got a few notes such as flight logs caught up with. So Japan Airlines, would I recommend flying them? I would imagine it's fairly clear that yes I would. Yes the catering is hardly great, but that applies to almost every meal I've ever had on a flight regardless of airline. The crew was amazing, the timekeeping brilliant, the Economy cabin fantastic (I must say Business Class did look nice, as did Premium Economy too), the inflight entertainment was pretty reasonable too. Not quite as many films as originally appeared, but still a good selection. I'd fly them again quite happily!

A shade over an hour and the coach arrived at Tokyo Station. It took some finding of the actual station, and even longer to find out where to get a ticket from. The TVMs, yes they had English but the option I needed was not clear. Thankfully someone helped me and 200¥ later I had a single to Meguro. Then there were different barriers for different ticket types and lines, someone else pointed that out too. It felt like I'd never travelled on a train on my own before, and that was embarassing!

At 1726, nearly an hour after I'd got off the coach, my train rolled into Meguro and I marched to base camp, Hotel Princess Garden. It looked pretty decent in the lobby, but the rooms are a bit outdated. Even so, despite the bed being a bit firm, I had a bed so that was welcome. After a quick catchup on bits and bobs, I popped out to Tokyu Store, a mini supermarket a bit like Spar back in the UK, and got some food. The stomach was extremely happy about that!

The final task of the day was to plan the first full day in Tokyo!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
OK then, let's get the report posted here too, there's stuff to do off-forum and it's back to work tomorrow at 5am!

13/11/2019 - Juliano's World Frenzy, Tokyo, Day 3

Having collapsed into a deep sleep around 9pm, 6 hours of heavy sleep saw me up about just after 3am. Half an hour later, I decided it was a good idea to finish off Linwood Barclay's No Time For Goodbye, and 2.5 hours later the final 138 or so pages got me to the end. An excellent read all the way through, and I would recommend that one. I was now very glad I had brought another book with me, ready for the homeward journey!

After a de-rance with an ultra powerful shower, much needed I can tell you that much, the bags were re-organised and bottles filled with water. Yes there really are convenience stores and vending machines all over the city, but it's always handy to have a couple of bottles anyway. After leaving for a full day of exploring, I needed a coffee so popped into a place opposite the East exit to Meguro station. I had planned to visit McDonalds, but why give a massive worldwide company money when a local company can be supported?

320¥ got me a large original blend, for comparison the cup was just a little smaller than a medium cup from Costa. Good coffee it was too, and I continued a stroll towards the city centre. I'd also downloaded an offline version of Maps for Tokyo, as all the paper ones I'd come across were not terribly helpful. A little after 8am, I'd already got to Tokyo Tower, and as it doesn't open until 9am I took a seat in a nearby park to get this report begun, before continuing the exploring for a bit.

Nearby was Zojoji Temple, and I had to go have a look. The main hall, Daiden, in particular was very impressive and certainly worth admiring, as well as a short session of contemplation. I'm in no way religious, but a few minutes of quiet time was not a bad idea. I strolled over to the tower, and I was still too early, so I ended up in a 7-11 and got a coffee for 150¥. Once I'd sat down and consumed that, it was time to do one of the touristy things I wanted to do in Tokyo. Oh, and already I'd done nearly 5 miles so I was happily getting the exercise in. It's worth noting now that the local trains are very nice, I've no input on seating as I elected to stand considering I also had my holdall with me. It's a very extensive system, and Tokyo can be done quite easily using it, but I'd rather explore on foot when I can. Especially since the forecasted rain had so far not produced!

Problem was, after studying the tourism guide more thoroughly before finishing my coffee, I'd discovered that better views can potentially be got from Tokyo Skytree. So I elected to save my 3,000¥ and move on! About 25 minutes of strolling later, I was waiting for admission to open for the World Trade Centre Observatory. That was not long away at 10am, so after an urgent stop I also sourced a small pot of cheese flavour Pringles for just 63¥ from the tax-free shop. That'll come in handy later!

620¥ for admission to the Observatory, a far better deal than the tourist trap tower. The observatory is 152 metres up, the same height as the main deck on the tower but for nearly 1,300¥ less. It's also very nice and modern in the observatory, enclosed and warm which is not a bad thing. I certainly felt like I chose well, and I saw my first Shinkansen trains while up there so that was a bonus. Obviously I still wanted to see one up close if I could, and more so ride one, but that was an optional extra for tomorrow.

My next mission was decided upon while I was in the observatory. That decision was Tokyo Skytree, which according to my guide has viewing decks 450 metres up. However, whether I would do them or not remained to be seen. Now I decided, despite it being quite a way out from the World Trade Centre, I would go by foot. Over an hour later, and I was only a little over halfway there, and feet were starting to get very frustrated by Suitengu Shrine. Hamacho Park was nearby, so as I was by now armed with a coffee from 7-11 again, I took the opportunity to rest for a bit there. That offline map really helped a lot! Note to everyone reading, do NOT be silly and go on foot! Oh yes, and my route took me past Tsukuji Hongwanji Temple, which I only looked at briefly from a footbridge over the road, but still it was a magnificient piece of architecture.

Feeling rejuvinated, I found myself on the riverside walk which was quite a nice route. Eventually, I found myself on the other side of the river, near Asahi headquarters. A quick look at Sumida Park, and a photo stop at Ushijima Shrine, and I eventually sat on a bench opposite Tokyo Skytree Tower. The walk from World Trade Centre had taken approximately 2.5 hours! Like the CN Tower in Toronto, this was a piece of engineering marvel, and I took advantage of the opportunity to rest for a bit. It was nearly 1pm by this point, and I'd now done approximately 15.5 miles today. In about 6 hours, I was pretty satisfied with that performance, and very glad I'd put new insoles in my boots before I left London!

The next mission? Well there were only really 3 key things I now wanted to do in Tokyo. Sample the delights of Shibuya Crossing, the busiest in Japan and possibly the world for that matter, Rainbow Bridge (it's only just over a mile long) and try some of the Japanese KitKat and Pepsi flavours. The bridge, certainly not really all that worth going out of my way for I surmised. Shibuya Crossing was relatively close, especially in comparison to the bridge, to the hotel and I had not yet found any of those KitKat or Pepsi varieties to buy! Yes, really! Did I really want to go up Skytree Tower? Would I instead prefer to see if I can sample some Japanese beer, then work my way into the city centre, which I had unbelievably not properly been into yet? I'm sure it won't be hard to work out what I chose...

The place I saw earlier, nothing to do with Asahi exactly by the looks of it but next to their HQ, was visited and a small glass of 6.5% stout from Sumidagawa Brewery was got for 650¥. Certainly not a bad stout at all! After which it was off to the railway, I had had enough walking for now! Apparently there was a taproom somewhere, but it may have been up a staircase that was closed off. 170¥ into the machine at Asakusa, and it was onto the Metro as far as Nihonbashi. The whole line to Shibuya takes 33 minutes end to end, and I chose Nihonbashi as it appeared close to Tokyo's main station, and from there it looked like it would not take long to reach the actual city centre.

When I was trying to find a way out, I stumbled across the Pokemon Center (yes it is spelt the American way!) and I simply had to pop in and have a look. I found something for my little sister almost straight away, not cheap at 2,200¥ but still! After that, I found a way to street level and as per usual on this trip I got a bit lost but my offline Maps really helped me find my way. I cannot emphasise enough how much of a lifesaver that was, I'd have been completely stuffed without it!

Eventually I found my way to Tokyo Station, and had a look at the cost for a round trip to Nikko. This is a destination around 2 hours away by rail, and to get there part of the journey is by Shinkansen. When I saw the round trip fare, in Standard Class, with no reserved seating, it was the best part of 11,000¥. At well over £80 there was no way I was doing that! My next point of interest was one of Tokyo's biggest tourist-y areas, Imperial Palace. By now it was feeling like rain as I rested briefly on a bench in Imperial Plaza, the grounds near the Palace.

One cannot go into the Palace of course, but I got a few photos of the usual bits tourists do, and it was soon off on foot to Shibuya. Yes, it was time to go to the world famous crossing! En-route I diverted via National Diet Building, a government building that while it doesn't compare to Westminster, it still looked interesting. After navigating my way back to the western side of the city, the heavy rain showers began. Thank Goodness I packed my umbrella! About 15 minutes later it stopped thankfully.

Somewhere on the way to Shibuya, quite the distance from Imperial Palace by the way, I stopped at a FamilyMart convenience store. I was still on a mission to find these Japanese KitKats and Pepsis, again no luck but I did get a hotdog in a brioche-style bun. I had previously eaten around 7am, and by now it was 4pm. Yes I really had been so busy that I had not had time to stop and eat!

It was gone half 4 before I finally reached Shibuya station, and I had finally got to the crossing. Famous for being quite possibly the busiest pedestrian crossing in the world, I stopped and watched the crowds before I had a go myself. Believe it or not, people actually stop on the crossing to take selfies, and it's such an attraction many people had cameras out! This was just before the evening rush hour, so not quite at its busiest time, and I went exploring.

By some way this was the most interesting area of Tokyo I'd seen. This was the busy, bright Tokyo I was expecting! After some looking around, I found an arcade place and had a look around. People really like their prize grabbing machines here! The next level up had more game machines like Mario Kart and that sort of thing. There were other arcades around, but I didn't end up looking in them, deciding it was something I could do tomorrow.

Just after 5pm my feet were aching like crazy, and after another go on the crossing enough was enough, it was time to head back to base camp. So onto the crossing for the third time, using the video function this time for it and a 360 view of Shibuya as I went. I found a ticket machine eventually in the station, 160¥ later and I had a ticket back to Meguro. The distance on the map looked to be around 45 minutes of walking, yeah I wasn't going to manage that! Foolishly I got on a train going the wrong way, so bailed out at the next station onto the island platform for a train going the correct way.

Once off the railway, I ended up in Tokyu Store for more ham and bread, and a small beer, for tea. After returning to the room, I started catching up with stuff and was falling asleep around 8pm.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
14/11/2019 - Juliano's World Frenzy, Tokyo, Day 4

Another early rise, wide awake by 4am! A badly needed de-rance was followed by breakfast of a ham sandwich, finishing off the supplies from the previous night, thankfully my room had a fridge in it. I discovered too I had done 28.1 miles of walking on Day 3, a new record for one day beating Budapest's record! A massive amount of photo sharing on Twitter was next, and just before 8am it was out and about. I didn't have a lot on my agenda today, so it was to be a lot more relaxed.

On Day 3 I didn't want to give McDonalds my money, but today I did and for a coffee the size of a Costa small cup I got my much needed coffee for 150¥. Bargain! Onwards towards Rainbow Bridge, which didn't look *that* far on the map. Now I *love* walking, especially so on a city break as those of you who followed my Copenhagen and Budapest reports in particular will recall, but in the case of Tokyo saying 'it's not that far by foot' results in a significant distance! This is one city break where extensive use of the Metro/Subway is actually much more essential than expected, and I have to admit I was regretting not buying a 48 or 72 hour pass at Narita Airport!

Eventually, after about 70 minutes, I gave up trying to find the pedestrian access to Rainbow Bridge and stumbled across Shibaura-futo station. I gave in and went to the ticket machine to buy a ticket to Odaiba-kihinkoen for 260¥. It's a 6 minute journey, and to get onto the bridge there's a big loop the train goes around first to access it. A video clip of the journey was recorded while I enjoyed this marvel of civil engineering, and at the station I found an English map showing Tokyo Waterfront City's attractions. It's quite a nice area, and I was now glad I came down here!

There was now some looking around with several photos taken, including the Statue of Liberty, and yes New York is not the only city that has one! I didn't know that before this trip! Nearby were some dry benches, so I sat down for a good while to catch up with my trip report typing, as I had last done so at Nihonbashi! Back on the move, the Flame of Liberty was also looked at, as was the International Cruise Ship station. This was followed by a further study of the map, and I just had to go investigate the giant Unicorn Gundam statue!

Inside the enormous shopping centre, I had a quick look around before getting a coffee from a 7-11. Much to my surprise, I found something for my brother, and while he didn't ask for strawberry KitKats a box of those was the best I could do. The other flavours he definitely wouldn't have liked! I then discovered there was 7 floors to this place, and on floor 6 there was a massive arcade. Inside, I found Time Crisis 5 and that had to be tried out. I didn't get very far even with a continue, but 300¥ well spent in my book. My brother is going to be rather jealous! Sega World Car Championship was tried out too for 100¥, then I find the Metro train driving game. 200¥ a go, and while it takes a while to load it was quite fun doing that!

A quick look at The Gundam Zone had to be done, it is effectively a museum of various Gundams and a shop. Back to ground level, as it was by now just gone 12 noon and I had seen a Carls Jr down there. Regular readers will recall I waxed lyrical about my first visit to a Carls Jr at Brisbane Airport, so I had to visit as the stomach was demanding food. A daily lunch special menu is on here, and today that was a Western Bacon Burger, fries and small drink for 890¥ (979¥ including tax). Not a cheap meal, and the onion rings were nowhere near as good as the ones we do in the West, and the thick burger patties Australia's Carls Jr do are far superior. All that said, it was a good feed and I was ready to finish having a look around the Waterfront City. I still had no idea what I would do for the rest of the afternoon as such, given I anticipated being done by 2pm, but I'd figure that out later!

After some more exploring around the waterfront, which saw me reach No 3 Battery Daida Park, I finally found the access to Rainbow Bridge by foot. Sure enough, it can be done on both the north and south sides of the bridge. I took the north side to get views of the Tokyo skyline, and from the beginning of the access ramp by the park to street level at the other side was only 20 minutes.

It was only 2pm, so I continued along the way I arrived in the area by foot. As it was now pretty warm, I called in for a bottle of Coke Zero from a Lawson Station en-route. A bit of a caffeine boost from that and a cold drink was quite useful, and a little after 3pm I was back at the room. I needed to check in for my homeward flight, and much to my surprise I didn't get landed with a middle seat, an aisle seat would do nicely!

Bag packing and ensuring nothing was left behind was my next priority, and once I'd also shared a highlight of the day in photo form on Twitter it was time for a light tea. And some beer! A visit to a nearby supermarket was therefore in order, and later on when I checked in my beer on Untappd I found there are actually Verified Venues in Tokyo. They didn't show before, oh well never mind! The only thing left to do now was to relax with the beers and slowly get things like the trip report back up to date.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
15/11/2019 - Juliano's World Frenzy, Tokyo, Day 5

Well that was unexpected! I managed a few hours of heavy sleep right at the end of Day 4, but after that I was frustratingly wide awake. Excitement for returning to the UK and my 12 hours and 40 minutes flight on a 777 was deemed a primary cause, and I munched on some crisps to deal with the appetite a bit, but even at 2am I was awake. The alarm was due to go off at 5am!

So what did I do to sort this situation out? Well it seemed as good a time as any other to get the de-rance done! The room had a bath available, and with some severe blisters coming on (hardly surprising after 46.3 miles of walking in two days!) the feet could do with a soak anyway. No it's not a manly thing to have a bath, I agree, but it was helpful in getting the muscles and feet more relaxed, so job done.

So let's discuss Hotel Princess Garden. Only a 5 minute walk from Meguro station, it's a 3-star hotel so a nice upgrade from the hostels on the rest of this year's adventures! The lobby makes it look much posher than it actually is when you get to the rooms. Nice friendly staff and I had my key in no time. That was a nice throw-back too, having an actual key for the room, rather than a smartcard key like is so often the case these days. Free WiFi throughout the hotel, and in the room itself there was a reasonably sized TV, a small fridge, double bed, wardrobe, kettle with green tea sachets and cups, bedside cabinet with built-in lamp, light switches, air-conditioning controls with a clock and alarm function. Which refused to set to anything other than 7am. Oh and a telephone with a notepad and pen.

The bathroom, reasonably sized with a bath and shower attachment, and a range of toiletries. Western-style toilet thankfully, how the Japanese use those things in the ground I have no idea! The bed was pretty firm, the quilt nothing all that amazing and the pillows, they were rather huge and comfortable. The decor could do with being updated, especially given the carpet was rather stained from years of use in places.

So not my best hotel stay ever, but it was in a nice quiet part of Tokyo, so that was nice. I was of course looking forward to my own bed! Booking accommodation for LA was next, or at least beginning that process. Around 5am I went to McDonalds and got a double cheeseburger meal with coffee for 640¥. I was in desperate need of coffee and by the time I'd got there food was beyond mandatory! Back at the room the meal was devoured as if it was my first meal in days, and despite being less than hot the portion of fries was very generous so that was all good by me.

It was time for my Favourite Flying Tunes as I consumed my coffee and checked everything in the room multiple times. By 0548 I was checked out and on the way to Meguro station. 170¥ to Hamamatsucho, and I waited for the 0601 going round the circle anti-clockwise. By cripes Maps didn't lie when it suggested this train would be exceptionally full! At Shinagawa the train emptied out a fair bit, so I sat on the surprisingly comfortable transverse seating until my stop. It's 500¥ for the Tokyo Monorail (different companies, so no through fare off the JR line) to Haneda Airport's International Terminal, and I got the express running non-stop to International Terminal.

It's quite a nice modern terminal, and I joined the bag drop queue immediately as it was already busy. An announcement suggested security would get busy from 7am, all fine and good that but bag drop desks had not yet opened as of 0644. At 0709 the desks finally opened, and I beat the worst of the queue through the security check too. Passport control was an e-Passport gate one, and I got my planespotting head on for a good while. ANA and Japan Airlines, unsurprisingly, have a big presence here so I got a good few of their widebody crafts ticked off. Also included were Asiana, Singapore and Korean, as well as a Thai 747-400, not to mention other airlines.

By the time I stopped for a coffee, it was nearly 0830! So I took a break and enjoyed the comfortable seating with some tunes for a while. Boarding finally began at 0920, 15 minutes late, and I joined winner G-STBF, a 777-300, on BA8 0945 Tokyo Haneda-London Heathrow. Pushback was 4 minutes late at 0949, and the safety demo video has changed a little since I last saw it in May 2018. The current one doesn't have Gordon Ramsey in it which is a shame. Taxi-ing to the run was a 15 minute task, and we roared into the air at 1005. Sadly I was too far back from the engines to get much of the noise, as First and Business Class takes up a lot of the room, indeed you need to be in Business Class to be properly near the engines on one of these.

Meal service took ages to get going, and thankfully the fish option ran out before my row, so I got the beef one. Some shredded slices of beef in some orange-y-red sauce, a couple of carrots, a piece of broccoli and some potato wedges filled the hot part of the meal. The green tea and something else flavour cake bar was actually quite reasonable, the raspberry mousse pudding surprisingly nice too. The cous-cous-looking stuff I didn't bother with, the crackers and biscuits I did though. My 187ml bottle of red wine, far superior to the one served in May 2018, was had later on and it wasn't too bad for a 12.5% cabernet sauvignon.

Movies for this flight began with Wreck It Ralph, which I really enjoyed. I followed that with Up, not bad. Guardians of the Galaxy was next, been wanting to get that one done for ages. MIB International was next, and that was pretty good. When it finished, we were over the eastern side of Finland or thereabouts, with 3h44m to go. Definitely enough time for one more movie, and I chose Detective Pikachu. I didn't enjoy that one, the plot was just awfully strange and I was very happy to see it finish.

We were now south of Oslo, with 97 minutes to go, and even with flight socks on my legs had more than had enough. Great legroom on this 777, it must be said, but I still needed a proper good walk. A short one to the lavatory was not going to be enough! Meal service was almost at my row by now too, I was starving and I had a feeling I'd be having a monster meal once I got into London! There were choices of chicken or pasta today, and one of the passengers at 45K got the last chicken, so I had the pasta naturally.

Some sort of cheese and pesto flavour, and to be fair I've had worse in the air (Etihad breakfast anyone?) but nothing beats the chicken tikka masala and rice with peas I had coming back from Toronto. Best meal I've had on a flight, now why can't we have more like that?! Naturally the potato salad was left, and the chocolate muffin was meh. Better than the one I'd bought in the airport, admittedly. Obviously, when coffee was offered I didn't turn it down!

I couldn't be bothered with getting my next book started now, so had a look at the other options on the IFE instead. Not a fan of the games on there, Pac Man was reasonable but that was about it out of those I found. By now we were north of Amsterdam, not long to go, until that last film the flight had been great! The opportunity to get everything all ready to alight was also taken advantage of, and we landed at 1259, arriving at Terminal 5 at 1304, 21 minutes early. Off the plane at 1312, and I got some of BA's bigger birds scored for sight on the trek to the transit train from C gates.

Oh it was nice to be back at Heathrow and in the UK! Quite the grin on my face at that thought! The transit train finally rolled in, and it was at baggage reclaim at 1337. My bag was one of the last two to come off at 1400, which was followed by an urgent PNB, filling a water bottle, to Caffe Nero for a coffee and finally onto the Piccadilly line at 1417. 23 minutes at baggage reclaim was the longest I can recall waiting for it at Heathrow!

148+winner 219 took me towards Central London, where I was scheduled to meet Kite159, a RailUK trip reporting legend, for a few hours. I won't bore you all with the exact details, but no S7 sets got scored after all, but 5 Piccadilly line sets did fall so it was a good result! After making our way to Victoria, our short meet ended while I went to get supplies for my tea and journey home, and Kite continuing his mission to conquer all of the UK railway. In the cold weather, bearing in mind I'd left pretty warm weather behind in Tokyo, I didn't envy him!

Before all too long it was time to make my final journey of 2019's last World Frenzy trip, the 18:30 London Victoria Coach Station to Hereford with National Express. It was due in at 22:55, so with the walk home too it would be likely to be around 23:25 when I got home. Quite the long travel day, and a disorganised farce would accurately describe Victoria Coach Station on this occasion. A couple of coaches were late, and it was very busy, and the whole place went out of sync!

Eventually at 1841 boarding began, and we got the approval to leave at 1858, 28 minutes late. Traffic to the M4 was much worse than usual, seemed to be an incident just before the motorway which stuffed things up. 42 late from Heathrow as a result, and we dropped off quite a few people in Circencester and Gloucester, where we left 26 late thanks to time allowed for crew swaps. Many, many tunes played until a little before Newent, where as is usually the case on my journeys with National Express we didn't drop anyone off. To Ross-on-Wye, with a short run on the M50!

Eventually arrival at journey's end was at 2331, 36 minutes late. The wind was fierce and bitter, I didn't envy those on a night out! 2343 and I was home after the fastest walk I've ever done at the end of a trip, halleujah! A packet of microwaved pilau rice was devoured to shut the stomach up, and eventually fast asleep by 0045. I didn't get out of bed for 10 hours!

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks! Here's the beginning of the Tokyo trip report:

11/11/2019 - Juliano's World Frenzy, Tokyo, Day 1

This trip was FINALLY here! I had booked it about 6 and a half months before departure, using the excellent BA Holidays service. I've now used this 4 times (Vienna, Toronto and Tallinn were the other occasions) and I will do so again in the future! Normally I prefer to book flights and accommodation on my own, but the crucial part here is the deposit scheme. That has made this trip possible, without it I'd have been unable to fund the entire trip at the time of booking. I would have possibly also spent more money, or made it cheaper but with inferior accommodation. That's how I did Australia for less than £650, settling for hostels. I didn't fancy that this time!

Why Tokyo? I love busy cities, and Tokyo is definitely one of those. Japan is also home to the world-famous Bullet Trains, and I must confess to always wanting to trying some of the unusual Pepsi and KitKat flavours that don't exist outside of Japan! I did make a bit of an error in booking this one though, booking to come back the day before I intended to. So I would only have 2 full days in Tokyo, but I had a feeling that would be enough anyway.

I couldn't turn down the trip when I got the suggested flights, which were London Heathrow to Frankfurt with BA, then Japan Airlines (a required airline for me) to Tokyo Narita. Coming back was all the way to London Heathrow, but from Tokyo Haneda instead. Yes I would have to endure an older Airbus 319/320/321 to Frankfurt, but I was booked on a 787 with Japan Airlines onwards and a 777 all the way back to the UK. Yes, yes and triple YES to those two!

I must confess to having a bit of a dance in the armchair at that idea! Three required airports as well, as well as more labels for my collection, oh yes that will do nicely. Oh, and despite the main flights being over 11 hours each (I think Haneda to Heathrow is scheduled at 12 hours 40 minutes) that's still classed as nothing compared to that flight on an A380 from Sydney to Abu Dhabi in March 2019. That was about 14 hours 40 minutes after all!

Well before the day of departure, I was more than excited! There was just the matter of getting to London Heathrow Airport first. Originally I had booked onto National Express on the day of the flight, but a few days later I got worried about possible traffic jams delaying me on the way to London, so I ended up paying for a trip to London via Birmingham and a night at easyHotel Croydon for the day before the trip. I'd been getting ready for this trip for quite a while before it came about, and it's fair to say fighting Holiday Mode at work was not easy! However, I finally got through that and it was straight home to pick up my holdall, passport and so on before racing back out to the station for my booked trains.

As that was all about trains and such like, with nothing really to do with the trip, let's skip over that bit. After a de-rance and so on at easyHotel, there was plenty of time to get to Heathrow so I didn't rush. Indeed, while enjoying my coffee from Pret I typed up a trip report on RailUK for the previous day's travels. Breakfast was a bacon sandwich from Sainsburys, after all 100 bonus Nectar points were not to be sniffed at! There was some buzzing noise coming in from somewhere, and a noisy air-conditioning unit, disturbing the sleep during the night so eventually I was up a little after 5am. By the time I'd done everything, it was nearly half 7 and nicely light outside. I still had 5 hours at that point until I wanted to be at Heathrow, so it was then time, before leaving the room, to decide which route I wanted to take.

It was decided eventually, once I got another coffee, to walk to West Croydon Bus Station and do the X26 to Heathrow Central Bus Station. Only £1.50 after all! A visit to a nearby Tesco Express was also done for a meal deal, which was devoured before the end of the bus journey. I just missed the 0800 departure, the next one at 0835 felt like a eternity away! Eventually it arrived and at 0837 we were off. Lots of reading got done, and the journey goes through some nice areas, providing rather useful links from Croydon to all manner of places that would take a while by rail.

By the time the bus got near Hatton Cross, the excitement for departure was getting quite major! The trek along the Northern Perimeter road got me two USA craft as they landed too, happy days! To think I was going to arrive at Heathrow from central London by rail...

At 1040 the bus finally arrived at Heathrow Central Bus Station, having been caught up in traffic quite a bit along the route. Following an essential move, it was to the trains where I joined dud 332002 for the trip to Terminal 5. I'd forgotten it's a bit of a march from the bus station, but that was most welcome after so much sitting around. Heathrow Express goes over to 387s soon, so the opportunity to say farewell to the 332s on this trip was welcome.

Upstairs in Departures, it was time to grab a coffee from Nero as I was still a little early for bag drop. I did get to score one of BA's short haul crafts, of which the A319s and A320s I'm doing rather well on so that was a bonus. Eventually it was time to get my Favourite Flying Tunes playlist going, then I headed to bag drop once I also collected my boarding pass for the connecting flight. By some way my holdall was the lightest bag I've ever checked in, at 4.7kg!

Security staff were also really friendly, a credit to the mighty London Heathrow T5, the best lot I've ever encountered in the world. With bag drop and security passed in just 10 minutes, it was time to get to Pret for a coffee and take a seat by the huge windows. The huge craft over the apron, such as the 747, were teasing me, less than 2 months until I will finally sample a Queen of the Skies! Eventually I got up for a wander around, and after much deciding I ended up in Wetherspoon for lunch/tea.

£13.15 for the BBQ chicken burger, with chips and 2 onion rings, but that burger came with a very nice size piece of chicken, some maple bacon, a slice of non-processed cheese and BBQ sauce. I certainly didn't take long devouring that, and it is a highly recommended meal!

After some more spotting the gate was revealed as A23. Not that far from A9 really, I was there in just a few minutes. More planes noted, but the highlight was BA's A319 G-EUPJ in retro BEA colours. This was done as part of a 100th anniversary for BA, so while it was before my time I appreciated seeing what came before me. Soon enough it was down the airbridge, where I discovered I had an A320neo, in the form of winner G-TTNJ, on BA910 to Frankfurt. Happy days!

I was at seat 24F quite quickly, and the small windows make one appreciate the large ones on 787s even more. Pushback was 3 minutes late at 1518, and it took until 1548 for us to taxi and queue up behind others before it was into the air. I did get a good few more planes scored for sight though, including some of BA's larger craft, so not too bad. After a while, the on-board catering made it to my row, and £4.45 later I had a can of Brewdog's Speedbird 100, a 4.8% IPA brewed specially for BA's 100th anniversary. Quite reasonable a beer too, for my own taste I'd have preferred a bit more strength but it was still good.

By 1742 (GMT+1 as we were now in the relevant timezone) descent was well underway and the seatbelt sign on. Just as well, as it got a little bumpy for a few moments! I was by then 250 pages into the book I had started a few days ago, and this was one of Linwood Barclay's best ones. Hard to put down for long! Of course, by now I was prepared and ready for a short connection in Frankfurt, transferring to Japan Airlines' JL408 1940 Frankfurt-Tokyo Narita aboard one of their 787s. That flight is scheduled for 11 hours and 20 minutes, much longer than the 'blink and it's over' sort of flight like I had done with BA!

It was back on the ground at 1759, with brakes on at the terminal at 1808, 8 minutes late. It took seemingly ages to get off the plane, but there was no reason to worry after all, as I had arrived at gate D2. The next flight was from D8, so happy days!

En-route to the gate, I took advantage of a filter water point. Then I discovered there's security screening next to the gate, so I took advantage of some WiFi to catch up on Twitter and WhatsApp, as well as obviously drink a litre of water. Fair to say I was refreshed!

Security took longer than expected, nowhere near the expected efficiency of Germany. There were seats with power nearby, so I took advantage of these to charge up, just in case I had none on the 787, and put my Favourite Flying Tunes on. It's a nice and clean, modern and smart, area to wait but very dull too. At that point, I just wanted to get on board and get back in the air! Quite, I was already planning the next adventure for after Krakow!

Boarding was very efficient, and the crew very welcoming. The cabin was beautiful, and just WOW at the legroom! The pillow and blanket at all seats were brilliant too, and the headphones didn't look too bad for Economy. For such a modern aircraft like the 787, for the record this was winner JA863J, a 787-9, the seat comfort was pretty impressive. The recline was not bad, especially as I was in seat 59G, an aisle seat right at the back. So far, I was exceptionally impressed! Customs papers to be filled in were handed about before departure, and pushback was 1 minute early at 1939. The distance to the runway was not much either, and it was roaring away into the air at 1956. Oh, and a quick flick through the movies selection revealed a great choice too, now the only concern was the catering, but I could foresee myself using Japan Airlines again very happily.

Shortly after takeoff, I got onto movies, as there was one I'd been wanting to see for ages, Toy Story 4. Glad I saw it at long last, and service began with a nice refreshing cold wet flannel. Eventually the drinks service on my side of the plane arrived, and I had been contemplating my choice since I saw the drinks menu in the seatback pocket before departure. I settled on trying a classic Japanese drink, sake. This is a 15-16% alcoholic drink, which also came with a packet of rice crackers. They were far better than expected, I'll gladly have more of those some time!

As for the sake, it was interesting. I can't say I'd rush to have more of it though. With the movie nearly over, meal service had finally made its way down my side of Economy. On the other side it got there much quicker, and the only option was the fish dish. Thankfully it was cod, and fair dos with the fruit salad, coleslaw thing, a small and slightly tough bread roll, the cold noodles which just smelled weird and a pot of salad, not to mention the Milka chocolate wafer round, or the Hagen Dazs raspberry sorbet, there was quite the nice bit of food. I didn't eat all of it of course, I just can't get on with coleslaw or salad. Oh and I got a can of Kirin Ichiban too, a beer I've had before from Asda and it was excellent now too. I sure recommend it.

What's also worth mentioning was it came with actual metal cutlery, which I have only otherwise seen on Etihad so far. Quite impressive! The green tea I had two small cups of, it was actually quite nice. The small coffee was reasonable too, better than what BA served in 2018 on my Canada trip and what Etihad served earlier this year. After Toy Story 4, I saw another movie I've wanted to see for a long time too. Say what you will about my desire to add it to my list, but I finally watched Disney's Frozen. A bit slow to begin with, but otherwise a well-written story. That put me on 257 logged movies, which memories tells me is something like 60 movies scored in 8 months!

I then figured it may be a good idea to try and doze off for a bit, but dippy duck me forgot to pack his earplugs and eye shades! The eye shades I'd have managed without, but the earplugs no. Besides, there was excitement about visiting somewhere new, sleep was going to be hard to come by!

Sounds like a good start to the trip mate. Been looking forward to this report and I see more has been posted so I shall get my teeth into that later.

I've never really been a flyer as I was brought up on UK based holidays (it's hard enough getting my mum on a train never mind a plane) so planes don't do a great deal for me. I'm intrigued to know what it is about them and the experience of flying that has you hooked on this hobby?

Iskra

Established Member
Sounded like a good, but exhausting time. Well done for all that walking. I too prefer to walk around cities when overseas, I think it's the best way to experience and really get a feel for them. Although I can tell you enjoyed it, I'm not sure Japan is for me to be honest.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a good start to the trip mate. Been looking forward to this report and I see more has been posted so I shall get my teeth into that later.

I've never really been a flyer as I was brought up on UK based holidays (it's hard enough getting my mum on a train never mind a plane) so planes don't do a great deal for me. I'm intrigued to know what it is about them and the experience of flying that has you hooked on this hobby?

Glad you've enjoyed it so far!

As for what got me into aviation, at this time I've really no idea. I'm genuinely trying to remember how I got into it as I type this. As for flying, it really is incredibly difficult for 99% of the world to understand it, as it seems almost everyone would rather any other way of long-haul travel, that they find it uncomfortable etc. Planes induce a sense of adventure in some foreign territory, I suppose is part of it, but I'm weird, I use the experience to save money on movie watching and to disconnect from the rest of the world. One of the few places on Earth where mobile communications is difficult to do, even on WiFi fitted planes, and I love that. Oh, and of course there's the magnificent roar of the huge engines, oh yes that is incredibly good fun. Nothing quite like the racket of a 737, 777 or 787 as the engines spool up and roar oneself up into the sky :D

Sounded like a good, but exhausting time. Well done for all that walking. I too prefer to walk around cities when overseas, I think it's the best way to experience and really get a feel for them. Although I can tell you enjoyed it, I'm not sure Japan is for me to be honest.

Aye it was a bit exhausting! Definitely glad someone else agrees that exploring by foot is the way to do it!

I enjoyed some of the destination, but by no means all of it. Japan isn't for me either, but I've been and I can go elsewhere now.

Next up is LA, 49 days and 19 hours until takeoff as I type this! :D

Iskra

Established Member
Glad you've enjoyed it so far!

As for what got me into aviation, at this time I've really no idea. I'm genuinely trying to remember how I got into it as I type this. As for flying, it really is incredibly difficult for 99% of the world to understand it, as it seems almost everyone would rather any other way of long-haul travel, that they find it uncomfortable etc. Planes induce a sense of adventure in some foreign territory, I suppose is part of it, but I'm weird, I use the experience to save money on movie watching and to disconnect from the rest of the world. One of the few places on Earth where mobile communications is difficult to do, even on WiFi fitted planes, and I love that. Oh, and of course there's the magnificent roar of the huge engines, oh yes that is incredibly good fun. Nothing quite like the racket of a 737, 777 or 787 as the engines spool up and roar oneself up into the sky :D

Aye it was a bit exhausting! Definitely glad someone else agrees that exploring by foot is the way to do it!

I enjoyed some of the destination, but by no means all of it. Japan isn't for me either, but I've been and I can go elsewhere now.

Next up is LA, 49 days and 19 hours until takeoff as I type this! :D

I may also go one day just to see it, but it's not a priority.

I've been to LA, it's interesting but it's a city of extreme inequality. I've got some interesting travels of my own planned in the next few months :)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I may also go one day just to see it, but it's not a priority.

I've been to LA, it's interesting but it's a city of extreme inequality. I've got some interesting travels of my own planned in the next few months :)

I've emboldened that bit as I'm mighty curious, I've no memory of any city I've been interested in visiting described in that fashion before.

Sounds though like some interesting trip reports coming from you soon :)

route101

Established Member
Did you get the Kit Kats?

I brought back around 20 flavours of them ha.

I was in Tokyo in june , Tokyo was busy but not noisy or chaotic like other asian cities. I flew KLM via AMS

The_Train

Established Member
Loved that mate, sounded like an awesome trip.

Also, in response to your previous response to my query of what attracts you to flying.....only you could find a love of flying from the fact it gives you a chance to catch up on watching movies :lol::E

Status
Not open for further replies.