• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tech's Rolling Review 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
January 2017 - Rolling Review

Welcome to the first instalment of 2017's rolling review! For those new to these threads, it is my review of the year as we go on, rather than doing one review at the end of the year. Of course, at the end of each year I still do some summaries but I just like doing it month by month!

2017 kicked off with Tech's Big Bang 2017, an annual trip to start the year as I mean to go on. It will be hard to beat 2016, having had awesome trips like New York and Vienna, but I anticipate making 2017 awesome with more countries scored and returns to previously visited ones. 2018 promises to see me return to the USA, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, that's a long way off yet! 2016's Big Bang was a Nottingham visit for trams, 2017's Big Bang was a lengthy visit to Scotland to see my very good friends Blindtraveller and his other half. Of course, SPT bashing was involved too!

As hinted in the trip report for the above, my goals for 2017 are listed here too for reference (also got a memo file for them now) as 2017 goes on:

- I plan to hit 12,000 miles or more;
- New for 2017 is the goal to have 2,000 air miles or more;
- Also new for 2017 is the goal to have a minimum of 4 air scores, 3 new airports visited and 2 new routes covered;
- 500 UK winners;
- 150 UK shack scores;
- 200 UK new sights.

It was a hugely successful trip in Scotland, coming away with Classes 318 and 334 totally cleared, and incredible progress on other classes. I have only 4 GC HST power cars to get to clear the HST power cars, and all told my Scottish requirements are way less than half now! I even cleared my last Midland Metro tram for sight and haulage, 35, on the way home! The trip ended on 59 winners, 21 shack scores and 36 new sights, incredible progress towards the targets listed above! Losing my case on the trip was not helpful. It turned out it hadn't been handed in, so an expensive time ahead to replace clothes!

The good times continued with Tech's Red Parade, a trip to Belgium and my first Eurostar bash in a little over 4 years. I don't know why I left it so long! It was an extremely productive time all in, with 80 winners between the UK and Belgium, and an enormous 186 new sights between them as well! It might well have been my final 373 bash too, depending when I can get onto Eurostar again. I need to take advantage of the seat sale again next time! On 26th January I got the news I've been waiting nearly 4 years for, and my role at work has now changed. Beaming smiles all round, although it has meant a change to my bashing schedule somewhat. A worthwhile compromise though!

Following the epic Brussels bash, I had one more trip to go in January 2017. A simple out and back on Advances to get Fishguard & Goodwick scored. This would finally return me to the status of having all shacks from London Paddington to both Fishguard Harbour and to Milford Haven cleared. 6 shacks on the Pembroke Dock line remain irritating gaps, and I have plans to get them scored during the year. I will make sure I hold myself to that promise as I didn't in 2016!

A last minute decision on 31st January after work saw me go and score Chirk, certainly didn't expect to do that! 69 shacks served by ATW left to go, they're coming down slowly!

Scores on the Doors

Winners: 139 (overall; 104 UK)
Shack scores: 26 (overall; 23 UK)
New sights: 242 (overall; 104 UK)
Mileage: 2,125

Rail fares: £294.30
Bus fares: £25.40
Hotel ching: £43.69
General expenditure: £252.01

Total: £615.40

An expensive start to the year, of that there is no doubt! It was worth every penny though, as the results above show. February should be a fair bit cheaper, and March looks to be a quiet month, but it will still be a fairly expensive Q1 2017. Not as much as Q1 2016 though!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kristofferson

£615 in a month on bashing? Flippin' heck! I suppose when you consider the fact you essentially had two weekends away and a couple of days out, it's quite good value.

I see you revising your targets before the year is out...

As I said, congrats on the role change but I didn't realise it had taken 4 years!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Near enough to 4 years, what's 3 weeks matter when it's been that long?

Aye it was an expensive month but very much worth it. To come out of the first month with 2,125 miles (yes I finally did my RM update!) as well it's hard to find any reason to complain!

My targets will no doubt be revised, my Untappd one will be at least. I was settling for 700 unique brews by the end of the year, but I'm on 664 now so revising it to 800!

djpontrack

That was a good start to the year but it cost quite a bit there. It's a good idea to have goals for the year, I've never thought of doing that, I wouldn't know what goals I would have.

noddy1878

Established Member
You have had a good start to the year. But that does not look like the budget from the king of budgeting!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You have had a good start to the year. But that does not look like the budget from the king of budgeting!

That is what I would describe as a bit of 'splashing out' really, and you wait until you see what my financial round ups are like later this year! January will feel like a value month in comparison :lol:

Trust me, compared to others I know I'm the master budgeter! Really does make a difference logging everything!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Rolling Review, February 2017

Before I begin, February was not as incredible as January was. A change of hours and days at work has meant a drastic change to how things are done, but it will still mean regular bashing (well, as I type this on 17th February that's certainly not applied much)! March will be quiet too, due to a return to the regular dental appointments, but we'll worry about that when it gets here.

The month began on 3rd February with Tech's Bound For Glory, and was the concluding part to my celebration of the move at work. Well, except for the 'norm' evening a week later that is! I spent days figuring this one out, with much pouring over timetables working it out. I knew I couldn't spend too much, which made it even harder to plan! In the end, I determined the red pen needed to come out and did a Cheshire Day Ranger. I certainly did well for shacks with 8 of them in the book, resulting in Manchester Piccadilly to Fishguard Harbour, Milford Haven and Plymouth via Stockport cleared for shacks at long last! On the winners front I only scored two 142s unfortunately.

The following Friday I was co-hosting an evening out with some colleagues from work, and due to shortages I was required at work on overtime during the day. No bashing for me then, and the same was to apply the following Friday. Not good for the soul but wonderful for the bank balance (until I treated myself to several beers...) with my planned trip in early March!

Operation Beer Bash on 23rd and 24th February was my next trip, meeting with a couple of beer-loving bashers for a social bash involving trains, shack scoring and of course adult beverages. I can't tell you just how much I had looked forward to this trip for days beforehand! 3 of the very limited service shacks in Manchester were finally visited, and 2 winner 142s, a winner 150, 3 winner trams, 1 new sight and an excellent time were the results. Having had a bit of a rough time at work for a while before this trip, I was finally back to being me!

What was quite good about February was that it was a London Midland-free month, and no 170s either. I didn't think it would be possible, but it happened. That won't happen again for a long time I suspect! Now bring on the fun of March, as I have a mini Norway trip coming up! It will be the first use of hashtag #TechsWorldFrenzy which I plan to use on all future visits to required countries. Other plans for March include another visit to Manchester to get Exchange Square to St Peters Square covered, now it's finally available. Stay tuned for details on that one in due course. The only other plan is to go Turbo hunting on Fridays after dental appointments, utilsiing the booked 165/166 turn on the 1204 Hereford to London Paddington. I also have a mini London bash coming up this weekend, I'm in doubts as to whether I'll do a hashtag for it though.

February Scores on the Doors

Winners: 8
Shack scores: 13
New sights: 2

And the cost of the bashing:

Rail fares: £127.70
Bus fares: £4.10
General expenditure: £63.01
Total: £194.81

A cheap month, by a long way my cheapest in a long time. I think it's only beaten by those months when I was trialling Normaldom a few years ago! Oh now doesn't that trigger a lot of memories...March is going to be nowhere near as cheap, but it will be oh so much more fun!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
March 2017 - Rolling Review

Well the first part of March sure made up for February! I kicked off the month with Tech Tales on 3rd-5th March, an epic mini London bash with Kite159 providing some excellent company on the main event of the trip. What an incredible result on this one, a final total of 151 winners, 1 shack score and 77 new sights! I have also got my last 377 for sight at long last, and the GWR 387s have been started finally too. Such a good time was had and I can't wait to go back!

The bashing continued only a few days later on 9th-12th March, and work really did drag before I was unleashed on the next stage of seeing the best of the world. This time it was my first visit to Norway, and my first flights of 2017. Ryanair I've missed you, it has to be said! As my trip report detailed, Norway was way too expensive for me and I didn't exactly enjoy it. The scenic branch line was good, don't get me wrong, but I was glad to come back to the UK! In terms of British results, I still managed to get 29 winners, 5 shack scores and 22 new sights. The goal of 200 new UK sights has now been cleared, and I'm 1,315 miles ahead of my mileage target too. That one (12,000 rail miles in 2017) will be tough to get this year, but I remain optismistic that in 9 months time I'll have done it.

17th March saw a cancellation to plans to get on the rails, following some calculations and a spending log update. I was now on the final 3 major dental appointments for the time being, all on the last 3 Fridays in March, so no bashing for a while. Overtime killed off any other chance to go bashing, so you can imagine how much I was looking forward to early April!

Scores on the Doors for March:

Winners: 196
Shack scores: 22
New sights: 197
Mileage: 1,573

Rail fares: £205.10
Bus fares: £0.00
Hotel ching: £192.94
Coach fares: £5.45
Air fares: £33.98
General expenditure: £150.02

March total: £587.49

Not a cheap month by any stretch of the imagination, but still cheaper than January thanks to going for weeks without a bash!

Q1 Results:

Winners: 293 (343 overall)
Shack scores: 42 (61 overall)
New sights: 205 (442 overall)
Mileage: 4,135

Rail fares: £627.10
Bus fares: £29.50
Hotel ching: £236.63
Coach fares: £5.45
Air fares: £33.98
General expenditure: £466.32

Q1 Total: £1,400.26

Certainly not a cheap 3 months, but some excellent results!

Finally for now, an End of Quarter review of my 2017 goals:

As of 12/03/2017, 1600, my progress is:

4,315/12,000 rail miles;
1,420/2,000 air miles;
2/4 aircraft scores;
1/3 airport scores;
1/2 air routes scored;
293/500 UK winners;
42/150 UK shack scores;
205/200 UK new sights

noddy1878

Established Member
Despite not being out much you've managed to bag the winners! I know you'll enjoy your next bash!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
April 2017 - Rolling Review

Well it took ages, the best part of a month, but I did eventually return to the rails on 7th April! Thanks to booking a couple of days off work, Tech's Two Fingers To Terrorism could happen. By gum didn't I need that break. Blindtraveller joined me for a visit to London, and while the trip cost a fair whack it was worth it with 69 winners, 39 new sights but no shack scores! The Emirates Air Line cable car and my first Thames Clipper ride were finally done, with the only thing left on my hitlist to do in London [aside from getting winners and shacks - Ed] being a visit to The Shard now!

An after-work mini bash occured on 17th April with a spin to Worcester Shrub Hill on 43161+43169, which scored me HST trailer 46012 for haulage. Sadly 150916, GWR's latest 150/9, wasn't to be had on the leap to Malvern Link and DBT was denied with 170513 on its own back to Hereford before a lift home was had. I sure felt better after that spin on the HST, it having been quite some time since my previous HST bash! Indeed, on this bash I started planning 2017's Anti-Frothmas bash. Details will be announced in due course...

'AC/DC Tech' started on the afternoon of 20th April, and it was great to get back on the rails again. It was on LM Advances to/from London, and I stayed in a hostel for the first time in many a year in a bid to save money, but I ended up coming away with 49 winners and 28 new sights. Not bad considering I was only in London for less than 17 hours!

26th April saw me on a mini post-work bash, scoring a GWR HST trailer in the process. Wasn't easy choosing one or the other out of the two I needed in that set!

April ended with one more bash on 28th April, Follow Me, To The Edge. It wasn't to be as awesome as hoped due to a strike from Northern! Two winner 319s and two scores for sight were obtained on this bash, not to mention plenty of aural treats with 319s on AC power. I don't care if anyone disagrees with me, AC powered 319s kick serious derriere!

So what's ahead in May? To be honest, with working so few hours in recent weeks [unheard of during Easter week! - Ed] I won't have a lot of funds to do much. I'm saving for my ALR with Blindtraveller in late June you see, which was the cause of so little bashing, but that is nearly done. Anyway, May should see my choice of diesel gala, the SVR one, done and by gum that lineup is beast. Aside from that, I'm still working on getting my Metrolink session in, workable thanks to some RTVs. Nothing else lined up for May, and June looks to be just the ALR, although I would hope a couple of mini bashes also produce.

So let's cheer things up with some data:

April Scores on the Doors:

Winners: 121
New sights: 68
Shack scores: 0
Mileage: 1,410

Expenditure in April:

Rail fares: £126.20
Bus fares: £14.20
Boat fares: £5.80
Hotel ching: £146.49
General expenditure: £115.52