• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFL child tickets travelling on adult fare using someone else’s contactless

Tallguy

So, yesterday I had to take 2 children into London for A Day out. I have an Oyster card and I bought paper tickets from the TVM at Ickenham For the kids. When buying the tickets, the TVM informed me that it would be cheaper for the kids to use contactless and pay an adult fare (tickets were singles to zone 1) but neither child had their bank card with them. I bought the paper tickets and the kids used them without a problem.

So, could I have given them each one of my contactless bank cards for them to use? Would a child travelling on an adult contactless fare have been legal as the TVM suggested doing it? Any thoughts on the children using one of my bank cards for this purpose? Would I potentially be breaking the terms of my card issuer by letting someone else use it? Any other comments?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Qwerty133

Established Member
As long as a different card is used for each person travelling I don’t see any issues with this. If I’m honest I doubt ticket inspectors even look at the name on the cards when presented with contactless devices (while a scanner may pick up duplicate cards i would imagine that this is based on card numbers and not names).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
As long as a different card is used for each person travelling I don’t see any issues with this. If I’m honest I doubt ticket inspectors even look at the name on the cards when presented with contactless devices (while a scanner may pick up duplicate cards i would imagine that this is based on card numbers and not names).
Indeed. It’s not relevant at all whether the card is yours or not, just that your fare has been paid.