• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW loco hauled on Manchester-North Wales ?

Jack Hay

A few years ago, I enjoyed a run behind a class 67 on an evening peak Piccadilly to N.Wales train. I think it was about 1720 from Piccadilly and it was an unusual but pleasant sight when it called at Oxford Road, where I boarded. Are there still any loco-hauled workings on this axis? Any possibility in the summer timetable? I'd repeat the trip if I could. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
No loco hauled trains Manchester-North Wales now, they are new class 197 DMUs these days (starting from Manchester Airport).
There are 2-hourly loco hauled trains Manchester-Crewe-South Wales, and one daily Holyhead-Chester-Cardiff train, both via Shrewsbury.
You could pick the latter up between Chester and Holyhead (evening westbound, early morning eastbound) with a connection from Manchester.
Stock used is ex-LNER Mk4s (used to run on the ECML) with a class 67.