• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Daily Telegraph Tue, May 21, 2024 - Network Rail insider helped gang steal track

Dai Corner

Established Member
The Daily Telegraph Tue, May 21, 2024

Network Rail insider helped gang steal track

Network Rail insider helped gang steal track

May 21, 2024

A gang stole train tracks more than 100 times with help from an insider at Network Rail, a court has heard.
Ricky Collins, 40, who was in charge of upgrading the Midland Main Line, provided locations of stockpiled steel rails to Jaspreet Oberoi, a scrap metal dealer, 40, via a third party.
Between May and November 2016, more than a dozen accomplices stole scrap rails, new rails and usable offcuts, Sheffield Crown Court was told. Officials estimate that the losses caused to Network Rail were at least £1million.
The pair both pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy to steal rail, with Oberoi being sentenced to 30 months in jail and Collins to 15 months.

Shared via <a href=http://www.pressreader.com>PressReader.com</a> – Connecting People Through News <p><strong>PressReader &ndash; Connecting People Through News</strong>.</p><p>NewspaperDirect Inc. dba PressReader, 200-13111 Vanier Place, Richmond BC V6V 2J1, Canada<br /></p><p>&copy;2003-2024 PressReader, All rights reserved. <a href=http://www.pressreader.com/help/TermsOfUse>Terms of Use</a> &nbsp;|&nbsp; <a href=http://www.pressreader.com/help/PrivacyPolicy>Privacy Policy</a>
Over seven years seems a long time for this to come to court. Are such crimes and timescales common in the railway infrastructure or construction industries?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
Was this Ricky Collins chap actually “in charge of upgrading the Midland Main Line”?!

Oxfordblues

It would help of course if redundant/scrap/surplus track wasn't left lying around for years and forgotten about.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
It would help of course if redundant/scrap/surplus track wasn't left lying around for years and forgotten about.
The original report does suggest that there was a ‘scheme in progress’ rather than just forgotten bits lying around.

jfowkes

Over seven years seems a long time for this to come to court. Are such crimes and timescales common in the railway infrastructure or construction industries?
Courts are under severe strain and cases are routinely getting delayed for years. Chronic underfunding of a vital public service? I know, I'm as shocked as you.

trackman forev

Was this Ricky Collins chap actually “in charge of upgrading the Midland Main Line”?!
He was the delivery manager at the time a believe compleate prick of a man

That’s the railway what I can gather is rail was moved off track for collection and he gave the locations away for it to be stolen

Last edited:

Amlag

He was the delivery manager at the time a believe compleate prick of a man

That’s the railway what I can gather is rail was moved off track for collection and he gave the locations away for it to be stolen

You can be sure this is not an isolated incident. Scrap and redundant rails, mostly worn CWR rails are cut into
I think 15’ lengths and are moved by road railers to lineside locations where lorry access is available.
The days of loading scrap rails onto Engineers trains and rail wagons taking it away for re-use or to steel works for re-rolling or melting down seem long gone.
I’ve seen huge heaps of scrap rails in Southampton Docks waiting to be sent away ..possibly to China.