• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Next Station Stop - Fifty Years by Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
Posted with thanks to kind permission from Yorkie and hoping it will be of interest to members, this is my new book on rail travel.

The Next Station Stop – Fifty Years by Train

Join Peter Caton on his 10,000 mile tour of Britain, discovering what it’s like to travel on our modern railways and contemplating train journeys made over the last fifty years.

Inspired by finding a childhood notebook, Peter revisits the locations of family holidays, looking at how the journeys and places have changed, and wondering why his parents chose such unlikely destinations. His travels take him to some of the most beautiful and remote parts of the country and on trains so eccentric that sometimes he wonders if Thomas the Tank Engine is round the corner. Sampling a selection of Inter City routes, he questions whether the pursuit of speed and efficiency has taken away some of the enjoyment of travelling by train, but on sleepers to Cornwall and Scotland finds the romance of rail travel is still alive.

He ends with a journey to Italy, with a diversion up a snowy mountain, comparing European train travel with British railways.

We read of Peter’s frustrations with missed connections, inflexible computers, annoying passengers and of an encounter with a machine gun-carrying policeman. He writes of his experiences with ‘health and safety’ and ridiculous announcements, and how these combine to give the book its title.

Illustrated with 60 colour photographs covering the steam, diesel and electric eras of the last 50 years, The Next Station Stop will appeal to anyone who travels on Britain’s trains.

£9.99 260 pages ISBN 9781783060504

Available now post free through link on my website www.petercatonbooks.co.uk and will be stocked widely from normal book outlets in the next couple of weeks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
Definitely sounds interesting. I'll buy it when I find the time.

Essexman

Established Member
There's a short review of the book written by Barry Doe in the current edition of Rail.

Essexman

Established Member

Depends how you count it. It's 288 pages in total, including photos, contents, map etc.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Another mention in Rail this week.

Christian Wolmar:-

“And like Barry Doe, who mentioned the book in Rail 735, I enjoyed The Next Station Stop, Peter Caton’s quirky and random account of 50 years of rail journeys”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.