• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Second Great Ivo Train Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
This quiz will follow the same rules as the first one which was around five weeks ago. This time, there will be 20 questions, covering all manner of British Railways action (and not always under the BR banner either!). Good luck to all of you; answers on a postcard (or PM if you prefer) within a week as before, please...

1. What was the last Class of slam-door units introduced to British Railways?
  2. Solve the following riddle: This station shares all but one letter of its name with an important junction further south. In addition, there is a station on a non-NR line even further south, whose name is formed of this station's name folowed by a word that is present in roughly 1 in 11 LUL station names.
  3. What is the seating capacity of a typical Class 357 unit?
  4. Not including Bank, what is the shortest LUL station name?
  5. What is the youngest station on the DLR to have been opened on an existing stretch of line (as with Wood Lane on the H&C)?
  6. How many stations have the suffix "Town"? (The word must be separate from the actual settlement name to count. Kentish Town does not count, as the name of the area is Kentish Town.)
  7. Identify the Class of unit in Picture 1.
  8. What is the nearest LUL station to the UK Coca-Cola bottling plant?
  9. What is the difference between the railway name of Llanfairpwll and the generally accepted short form of the same village?
  10. How many different TOCs serve Crewe?
  11. Identify the station in Picture 2.
  12. Solve the following riddle: I am a town of four stations, or five if you count an area whose name begins with "A" to the south with which I form a continuous conurbation. I am one of the north's most visited towns and even have my own tramway. One of my stations has two words; the first does not sound as one might expect however.
  13. What is the most westerly station on the main line to Cornwall where one might reasonably expect to find a Pacer at least once an hour?
  14. What does the 5xx unit series indicate?
  15. How many stations in Greater Manchester have on-site interchanges with the Metrolink?
  16. Continuing the Metrolink theme, which tram stop would be worth the fewest points in a game of Scrabble?
  17. What line terminates at the station shown in Picture 3?
  18. What was the original London terminus of the Great Eastern Main Line?
  19. Name every station on the Island Line, from north to south, as it would have been in 1980.
  20. What great national honour was bestowed upon Marc, but never upon Isambard?
Bonne chance...! (If you're wondering, 25 is too much effort.)

Attachments

• Picture 1.JPG
    Picture 1.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 2.JPG
    Picture 2.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture 3.JPG
    Picture 3.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
1) REPs and TCs
2) Sheffield
3) No idea. Proud never to have been on one.
4) Epping
5) Don't know
6) Harwich Town, Enfield Town
7) 143 (not 144 if you took it)
8) Don't know
9) gwyngyll
10) Virgin, ATW, Northern, London Midland
11) Don't know
12) Southport
13) Newton Abbot
14) DC sets not on the Southern - I told you that!
15) Piccadilly, Victoria, Altrincham, Navigation Road, Eccles
16) Don't know
17) Don't know
18) Bishopsgate
19) Pier Head, Esplanade, St John's Road, Brading, Sandown, Shanklin
20) Knighthood.

Ivo

Established Member
14) DC sets not on the Southern - I told you that!

I know :D Doesn't it show that I was paying attention?

By the way, with regards to Q1, I meant the specific class. I'll revise the question slightly.

Some PM ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just a little heads-up for anyone who might like to try this; the challenge will close in approximately 32 hours' time :)

To have had only one full response is disappointing :(

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
I'd say 423 for Q1 - some were still being built into the mid 70s
11 I'd sat Newton Abbot and 17 looks like Barnstaple so Tarka (guessing by Southern Architechure)

Ivo

Established Member
@ seagull: I would have preferred it if you had sent that by PM, and looking things up isn't really the aim here. But thank you for the interest! :)

seagull

Oops sorry - to be honest if I'd only answered what I actually knew then I think I might supply about two or three answers only... :D

I'll delete my post above and PM anyway to give others a chance...

martinsh

Established Member
10) Virgin, ATW, Northern, London Midland

These are both wrong - I live in Crewe, so I should know !

Regarding Q1 - do you mean What class were the class slam door units built, or what was the last NEW class of slam door stock to be introduced ?

1) Class 201
2) Swindon?
3) 282 seats: DMSO 71 each, MSO 78 and PTOSL 62 each
4) Oval
5) Langon Park
6) 7
7) Pacer
8) Hammersmith
9) gwyngyll
10) Virgin, Arriva Trains Wales, London Midland, Crosscountry, East Midlands Trains, First Scot Rail
11) Lymington?
12) Southport
13) Newton
14) Dc Set
16) ?
17) Salford Cresent?
18) Bishopsgate
19) Pier Head, Esplanade, St John's Road, Brading, Sandown, Shanklin
20) Knighthood

Ivo

Established Member
Time for me to bring this to a close.

Based on the answers I have received, not including those where the contestant has admitted to looking things up (sorry seagull), the top score I have seen is 9. So well done to the two posters who managed this, clagmonster and Neilandrewhall. (clagmonster would have actually won this, but his answer to Q3 and Q5 have been researched.)

The full list of answers is as follows:

1. 312
  2. Sheffield
  3. 282
  4. Oval
  5. Langdon Park
  6. 17
  7. 143
  8. Uxbridge
  9. Llanfair PG
  10. 7
  11. Lymington Town
  12. Southport
  13. Newton Abbot
  14. Non-Southern 3rd rail
  15. 4
  16. Sale
  17. Tarka Line
  18. Devonshire Street
  19. Ryde Pier Head; Ryde Esplanade; Ryde St John's Road; Brading; Sandown; Shanklin
  20. Knighthood

A few notes, based on what people have suggested as answers...

5: South Quay was not a new station; it just moved.
8: Did no-one think to look at a Coca-Cola product at all? It actually lists "Uxbridge UB8" as the location!
9: Llanfair PG is usually used as the short form of the name; Llanfairpwllgwyngyll is more of an intermediate. But I have accepted both anyway.
15: Only 4; Eccles and Deansgate are not on-site connections. Also, if you look on Google Maps (which I checked to verify the Deansgate answer, seen as it was so popular!), there is a tram in the northbound platform!
18: I didn't realise how hard this one would be! This was a temporary station used before the larger Bishopsgate was ready.

There were a couple instances in which I was willing to accept slightly alternate answers to those I have provided. As an example, I also accepted "Lymington" and "Newton" as suggested by NeilAH after he clarified the stations he meant in a PM (without being asked to). This is of course in addition to the Llanfairpwll note above.

So, once again, well done guys! Maybe I'll do another a few weeks from now...

clagmonster

Established Member
My submitted answer was:
Ardrossan, Bicester, Colchester, Dunfermline, Edenbridge, Enfield, Falmouth, Grimsby, Harlow, Harwich, Lymington, Newhaven, Prestwick, Rugeley, Stourbridge, Tilbury, Wandsworth
Although I miscounted them and got to 18, Ivo were you generous or did you do what I would do and not give the point.

Ivo

Established Member
My submitted answer was:
Ardrossan, Bicester, Colchester, Dunfermline, Edenbridge, Enfield, Falmouth, Grimsby, Harlow, Harwich, Lymington, Newhaven, Prestwick, Rugeley, Stourbridge, Tilbury, Wandsworth
Although I miscounted them and got to 18, Ivo were you generous or did you do what I would do and not give the point.

I would have been more worried if you listed 18 and said 17, because that would mean you were genuinely wrong. I had wanted the number, but seen as you listed every station I could tell that it was an honest mistake, and thus allowed it.

Standard quiz rules would accept the first answer - and you listed 17 stations before the number 18. Although pedantic, this in theory shows that you are correct.

In practice I probably should have disallowed it, but I was lenient in a few other cases as well. If I had adopted a totalitarian stance to this quiz, the top score would have been just 7 - and further quizzes would not exist.

As for South Quay, other stations have moved before now but they were the same station in practice. The same applied to South Quay; it moved because its location prevented platform lengthening. It was not an all-new station.

Suppose that a two-platform station on a four track route - say, Burnham - was moved to the other two tracks. Would that be a new station?

martinsh

Established Member
My submitted answer was:

Oops, Rugeley was one of the ones I forgot - IPT will never forgive me !!
My submitted answer was:
1. What about Acton Town ? I've checked the original question and it just says "stations" doesn't specify they have to be on NR network ...

2. When was Felixstowe Town renamed Felixstowe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.