• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket payment codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Commuter

I am interested by the 1 character codes shown after the fare amount on a ticket.

I think that they show how the ticket was paid for: M seems to denote a cash payment, X a card payment, and W a ticket bought by my employers. Am I right? Do the codes actually stand for something (such as M for Money)? Are there any other codes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
W indicates a ticket paid by a travel warrant or voucher, and Q is also used to indicate payment by cheque.

island

Veteran Member
I have also had V and Y, which seemed to relate to payment partly by voucher and partly by card.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I have also had V and Y, which seemed to relate to payment partly by voucher and partly by card.
Yes, use of those seems a bit hit and miss depending on the ticket issuing system.

alistairlees

Established Member
The codes are

M = Money (cash)
Q = Cheque
V = Voucher
W = Warrant
X = Card
Y = Split payment including a card and a warrant (whether it's just card and warrant, or there are additional payment methods, e.g. card + warrant + cash)

Where the split payment doesn't involve both a card and a warrant, then you may get any of the others, depending on the combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.