• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets not checked - Chiltern smart card + railcard.

BanburyBlue

I commute from Banbury to Birmingham three times a week on a Chiltern only ADR. Since the new year, the level of onboard ticket checks has increased markedly (no issue with this at all). I used to buy e-tickets, but more recently I’ve been using a Chiltern Smartcard. These were checked as normal every time an onboard ticket check was in progress.

Now last weekend I reached a significant birthday, and now have a shiny new Senior railcard. I’ve got one of those plastic wallets they give out at ticket offices, with my Smartcard, Senior railcard, and photo ID card in. All week, on every journey, there have been ticket checks in both directions, with different train managers. On every occasion, the train manager has just taken a cursory glance at the wallet and said that’s okay, No scanning at all. Train manager was scanning everyone else’s ticket as normal.

Just seems a bit odd that last week scanned, this week not?