• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets that are only valid with other tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibbs

I was on the Virgin service between Brum and Watford recently and it got me thinking.

When Virgin services are set-down only at Watford junction, my Oyster card is not valid from Watford Junction into Euston. However, if I were travelling on the same service from say Milton Keynes into Euston using an MK - Watford ticket, it would be.

Is this a unique situation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
IIRC some very discounted tickets to St Pancras Int are only valid with E* tickets.

I can't see the £10 EURO HI SVR from Exeter to London CIV being valid without one otherwise many people would buy one!

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The obvious one is Season/non-Season combinations where the train doesn't call at the station where validity transfers from one to the other (as in the OP - whether the Season is on Oyster or paper is irrelevant).

Also Gold Card discounted tickets.

IIRC some very discounted tickets to St Pancras Int are only valid with E* tickets.

Yes, "CIV" tickets are only valid with a ticket for an international service (typically Eurostar, I think some ferries also qualify?). They are not only cheaper but also guarantee travel if you are delayed and miss your connecting service.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
  • Groupsave tickets are only valid with the other group members' tickets.
  • Family travelcards are only valid when both an adult and child ticket are travelling together I think??
  • Gate passes are only valid with the tickets they were issued with
  • Through tickets that involve ferry links are sometimes only valid with a Control ticket.
  • HS1 Supplement tickets and Weekend First class upgrade tickets, which aren't technically excesses, are only valid with the original ticket.

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
And...
FAM discounted tickets are only valid with a CHFAM discounted ticket (and traveller)
CHFAM discounted tickets are only valid with a FAM discounted ticket (and traveller)
Two Together discounted tickets are only valid with the other traveller's ticket (and traveller).
Are Northern Duo tickets only valid for two passengers together? (when printed as two coupons)

(edit: manicmartin added Family Railcard to his post whilst I was writing!)

Oh, and it probably doesn't count but the OUT portion of any return ticket is only valid with the RTN.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Established Member
Yes, "CIV" tickets are only valid with a ticket for an international service (typically Eurostar, I think some ferries also qualify?). They are not only cheaper but also guarantee travel if you are delayed and miss your connecting service.

How is this even enforced? I travelled to and from London on an Estar CIV Advance with VT and was never asked for my Eurostar ticket.

Which is handy as I'd opted to collect my EStar ticket from St Pancras and couldnt have produced it even if asked!

RJ

Established Member
How is this even enforced? I travelled to and from London on an Estar CIV Advance with VT and was never asked for my Eurostar ticket.

Which is handy as I'd opted to collect my EStar ticket from St Pancras and couldnt have produced it even if asked!

You only need to produce proof of eligibility when purchasing it, not when travelling.

button_boxer

Established Member
Where's this fare available? I can't find it.

It looks to be this fare, from Exeter St Davids to Lndon Estar CIV routed "via Honiton". The corresponding "via Taunton" ticket appears to be this one at £35.

Since these tickets are to Lndon Estar CIV they can only be purchased direct from Eurostar either as part of a through booking or by phone from their domestic telesales. The cheapest "London Intl (CIV)" ticket for the same route (i.e. the one you can buy from station ticket offices or Raileasy) is £71 single, £72.10 return via Honiton or £104 return via Taunton.

Status
Not open for further replies.