• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets wasted in 2017 - is this a record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
My new year resolution was nearly not to waste so many Advance tickets by changing my plans, but I decided it wasn't going to last very long, if current form is anything to go by.

Sure enough, my lift to the station for next Sunday 8th now has other arrangements (a walking trip with his friends), so rather than rely on the once-an-hour bus I decided to go on Monday instead.

New ticket booked, confirmation email timed 01:07 on 01/01/17. £11.90 debited to my account. Hey ho :roll: :lol: .

Happy New Year everyone, hope you don't follow my example!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Is it actually worth buying advances?

If you can get good prices it is probably worth "writing off" the occasional one if your plans change. But as always it's a question of how often that happens. Don't forget that they can be amended at a ticket office for £10 plus any price difference (though probably not worth bothering if the original was only £11.90, especially as the price may have gone up by the time you get to the station!).

trainophile

Established Member
On that particular journey I can get 2.7 of the cheapest Advances for the price of the cheapest (Day Single) walk-up, so unless things go seriously awry it's still a saving.

If it's too close to departure the only delivery option for a replacement ticket seems to be £6 for special delivery, which defeats the object of saving £1.90!

I would do so if TOD was available for amended purchases, but annoyingly it isn't.

Edit: oh sorry, just re-read the last comment and I didn't know you could change Advances bought online at a ticket office. I would lay money on my particular local ticket office refusing to do that, as they are not the most helpful and always seem to treat customers with any sort of special request as if they are trying to pull a fast one!

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
With a young persons railcard I can get advance tickets from home to uni for approximately £8, rather than an open return ticket which would cost me £18.50 for each leg. However then you have the risk of missing a connection or not being able to catch a more convenient train.

Established Member
I only ever buy advances for end to end journeys (such as Glasgow or Sheffield), on days out I always buy a day ticket because that gives me a lot more flexibility and choice if I change my mind, and I'll always get my money's worth out of it.

trainophile

Established Member
then you put in a complaint, get compensated, and have no issues in future at that ticker office :)

Haha, SickyNicky knows which place I am talking about, and that it is not easy communicating with them, and to be avoided if at all possible. But seriously, I genuinely wonder whether a ticket bought online through (for example ;) ) VTEC would be changeable at another TOC's office?

On a slightly different matter, if I may on this thread, as I'm investigating changing to Open Returns in view of my track record - which are the tickets that give you a four day window for the outward journey? Is that just Anytime Returns? These don't seem to be offered on some routes, only Off Peak Returns, which I find a bit strange.

Yes I know, I MUST get to a Fares Workshop this year! :lol:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The one time I tried it I managed to get a ticket bought via Evolvi changed at an EMT ticket office. I guess they get to keep the £10 admin charge so they probably don't mind doing it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Haha, SickyNicky knows which place I am talking about, and that it is not easy communicating with them, and to be avoided if at all possible.
Complain to Customer Services of the TOC in question. And yes I am aware.
But seriously, I genuinely wonder whether a ticket bought online through (for example ;) ) VTEC would be changeable at another TOC's office?
Any competent ticket office will do it, but don't inconvenience yourself.

If the company does not resolve the matter, you can escalate it accordingly.
On a slightly different matter, if I may on this thread, as I'm investigating changing to Open Returns in view of my track record - which are the tickets that give you a four day window for the outward journey? Is that just Anytime Returns? These don't seem to be offered on some routes, only Off Peak Returns, which I find a bit strange.

Yes I know, I MUST get to a Fares Workshop this year! :lol:
Yes, only Anytime Returns, with no suffix or prefix, allow that.

The rail industry did away with the validity in around 2007, but were forced to bring it back, so some TOCs are currently playing the system to see what they can get away with, as per usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.