• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Toton withdrawn class 60s

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEAN MURPHY

hi all.
Passing Toton today (22nd August) on the way from London to Sheffield and back, I tried to get the numbers for the withdrawn locos.
Does anybody know what the line up is near the bank and also the separate line up yard side? I got most of them but some numbers were graffiti marked and you couldn’t get them, and some were too small!
Any help-or poInting me towards a thread, which I am sure there is on Rail Forums to an up to date list for both lines, I would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anybody know what the Fertis 56 in Leicester yard with one cab is and why it has been removed?

Thanks all!!
Dean

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roast Veg

Established Member
The class 56 cab was removed to replace that of another in better internal condition.

Spirit555

The 60's are as follows:
24 60s in 1 line. 60067 south end, 60081 north end ...

60067-60032-60060-60086-60050-60088-60018-60027-60037-60042-60097-60014-60025-60031-60005-60053-60078-60023-60089-60004-60093-60083-60006-60081.

The 56 at Leicester is 56106 with the cab removed

HTH

Mark

Skymonster

Established Member
There is no single line of 60s on the depot (west) side of the mains. There are three very closely spaced rows (of three or four each) in the headshunts at the northern end of the depot although some of the locos in that bunch are 66s now, and several rows of 60s scattered around the south end of the depot.

_toommm_

Established Member
Why are they being withdrawn so early into their life? Have they had major problems?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Why are they being withdrawn so early into their life? Have they had major problems?

Buying 250 Class 66s for EWS (now DBC) turned out to be far too many - but they still had to be paid for. Older, but still good locos (Classes 60 & 58) were discarded. Class 60 would probably have gone completely, but it was found that Class 66 was unable to perform some heavy freight duties, and a small number of 60s were retained & refurbished.

Brian Aylott

Who says they are being withdrawn?
They are stored due to lack of work
If more work is obtained most can be overhauled with the remainder having major problems being used for spares
Brian

_toommm_

Established Member
Who says they are being withdrawn?
They are stored due to lack of work
If more work is obtained most can be overhauled with the remainder having major problems being used for spares
Brian

They're stored, but as they're not in service, they are currently withdrawn from service. In situ. All these words mean the same thing. Stop being so pedantic when the meaning was obvious.

Journeyman

Established Member

I wouldn't say it's that early. They're now between 25 and 29 years old, which is longer than a lot of locos have lasted.

Rail Blues

Buying 250 Class 66s for EWS (now DBC) turned out to be far too many - but they still had to be paid for. Older, but still good locos (Classes 60 & 58) were discarded

That's a rather perverse interpretation of events. 250 Class 66s were too many you say? So why were heaps more were ordered subsequently by a variety of operators. If there's any loco of which far too many constructed it was the 60. Although the collapse of the domestic coal mining industry a few years after their introduction didn't help.

It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing or technologically sophisticated loco in the world, but they 66s were a step change in terms of reliability and availability. Without that influx of modern and reliable traction shortly after privatisation, the freight market would be considerably smaller with fewer locos of any type knocking around.

richieb1971

Established Member
As I understand it the 60's had a crappy life because of 4 things -

1) They were built with faults, 100 each per loco = 10,000 reported faults that Brush needed to fix. (not great when you consider the class 59 still goes strong today)
2) Coal industry declined, Intermodal industry flourished. Now a need for a loco with 75mph speed limits
3) EWS being anti British (if you believe the rumours).
4) 250 66's being ordered, putting most of the older guard to sleep.

DBC came along and changed the setting. 60's reborn. And whilst all the other classes never returned to DBC operations. The 60's never left, and they have been kept ever since albeit not on a pedestal and getting a brush and clean every now and again. Its a sad sight for sure. Think of it this way, an abused dog can change owner and come back with full vitality and swing. Its just about if DBC have a road map which ensures new business and a need to keep the fleet alive.

Rail Blues

As I understand it the 60's had a crappy life because of 4 things -

1) They were built with faults, 100 each per loco = 10,000 reported faults that Brush needed to fix. (not great when you consider the class 59 still goes strong today)
2) Coal industry declined, Intermodal industry flourished. Now a need for a loco with 75mph speed limits
3) EWS being anti British (if you believe the rumours).
4) 250 66's being ordered, putting most of the older guard to sleep.

DBC came along and changed the setting. 60's reborn. And whilst all the other classes never returned to DBC operations. The 60's never left, and they have been kept ever since albeit not on a pedestal and getting a brush and clean every now and again. Its a sad sight for sure. Think of it this way, an abused dog can change owner and come back with full vitality and swing. Its just about if DBC have a road map which ensures new business and a need to keep the fleet alive.
Only a small proportion of the total fleet are in service. I'm not sure how much work those that are operational are actually seeing.

richieb1971

Established Member
Only a small proportion of the total fleet are in service. I'm not sure how much work those that are operational are actually seeing.

I think about 30 are in service. They rotate around etc. Part of the reason the other 70 class 60's are not in use is because DBC cannot find work for them and they have certain terms and conditions which stop other freight companies taking them on. Remember DBC sold 10 to Colas and immediately saw Colas steal work from DBC as a result.

FOCTOC

I think about 30 are in service. They rotate around etc. Part of the reason the other 70 class 60's are not in use is because DBC cannot find work for them and they have certain terms and conditions which stop other freight companies taking them on. Remember DBC sold 10 to Colas and immediately saw Colas steal work from DBC as a result.

Just to correct you, FOCs do not "steal" work from other companies - they bid for the contracts. The winning bidder is usually the company that offers the best value for money and customer service, not necessarily the cheapest.

richieb1971

Established Member
Just to correct you, FOCs do not "steal" work from other companies - they bid for the contracts. The winning bidder is usually the company that offers the best value for money and customer service, not necessarily the cheapest.

Well, "stealing" may not be the correct term. But buying assets to use against the seller is a shady colour of grey in my humble opinion. If all matters were transparent on the class 60 transaction to colas I am sure terms and conditions would have been re-written before any such transaction could have taken place.

FOCTOC

Well, "stealing" may not be the correct term. But buying assets to use against the seller is a shady colour of grey in my humble opinion. If all matters were transparent on the class 60 transaction to colas I am sure terms and conditions would have been re-written before any such transaction could have taken place.

What did DB think they wanted with them? To park them up in a siding having spent £10m on ten locos to sit about doing nothing? Im afraid your outlook and understanding of cold, hard business is naive in the extreme.

richieb1971

Established Member
Are you another be-littler around these parts?

The person who signed the contract is naive. You have the benefit of hindsight that DBC didn't have the day contracts were signed. I doubt anyone at DBC said "what a great deal we struck there, the Lindsey - Colnbrook contract will not be renewed now".

Besides, the only losers are the 60's themselves. Entangled in another political development keeping them in scrap lines and sidings.

nicolaboo

The 60's are as follows:
24 60s in 1 line. 60067 south end, 60081 north end ...

60067-60032-60060-60086-60050-60088-60018-60027-60037-60042-60097-60014-60025-60031-60005-60053-60078-60023-60089-60004-60093-60083-60006-60081.

Mark

I was there at the beginning of July and could make out most of those. Was this line up of 24 Class 60s all there back then?

FOCTOC

Are you another be-littler around these parts?

The person who signed the contract is naive. You have the benefit of hindsight that DBC didn't have the day contracts were signed. I doubt anyone at DBC said "what a great deal we struck there, the Lindsey - Colnbrook contract will not be renewed now".

Besides, the only losers are the 60's themselves. Entangled in another political development keeping them in scrap lines and sidings.

Oh dear. A 'belittler' eh? Im off for a nice cooked breakfast.

Robin Edwards

This site is kept pretty much up to date and shows status of the whole class :http://www.abrail.co.uk/diesellocodetail.htm
A few 'stored' 60s are at Crewe IEMD. The 60s at Toton are all visible but not all easily identifiable from the Bank, more so in winter months with 60057 the least visible being on it's own at the south of the Training Compound.

richieb1971

Established Member
A worker at toton took a picture of every number of 60 at toton with permission. They are on the Facebook group called class 60 group.

60011 rolled onto the rails yesterday. Will replace some 66 workings where applicable. 66s are being moved to rhtt duties.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The 60s that are in that lineup at Toton are surely only good for scrapping or stripping for spares followed by scrapping? At least for anyone who doesn't want to spend a very large sum of money bring them back into operational use.

F2002

I think there's a few like 60065 which haven't been refurbished but haven't been stored that long i.e 2015. I'm not sure on 004/014/018 but they appear to be some of the last of the class to be stored (could be wrong).

I think DB may get more interest if they offer to overhaul them into super 60s

Status
Not open for further replies.