• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPO Northern Rail. Its like trying to get in the CI5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyN

Im seriously starting to think what have I got to do to get on Northern Rail as a Train Presentation Operative. Its not management its a Train Cleaner if we want to be specific. I worked for British Rail for 9 Years and have done Train Cleaning in that time. Ive applied for this position at Allerton on nights. Had a interview, and yes I knew where I went wrong at that. I didn't research the what if and what have you done etc as didn't think they would ask as it was a TPO job but now know they do and will be better prepared next time. Recently applied for a TPO at Wigan and got invited to do a Online DSI Test which I passed and went into the whittling down list. E Mail today to say unsuccessful on this occasion. Ive also applied for TPO at Liverpool and still waiting on another TPO position at Allerton from a while back. What I want to know is is it worth me preserving carrying on applying for these jobs, or does it look like desperation keeping on applying ? Or will my perservance pay off ? Ive even sent a current version of my CV Railway orientated through the post to the recruiting department to keep my name in their mind or does it have the other effect. Confused ????

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hughavinalaf

If you really want the job Andy,all I can suggest is you do as much research as possible and prepare yourself as best you can,maybe visit the stations/depots and ask the guys currently doing the job for any tips?

I am informed that the Railway industry is very hard to break into,they get hundreds,if not thousands,of applicants for very few vacancies .

Don't give up,your efforts and perseverance will pay off if you're determined enough.Best of luck.

AndyN

I am determined. I come from a Railway Family, they all worked for British Rail, I myself did for 9 years. I was a carer for my Gran for a good few years and im shocked now at how hard it is to get a job. I nievly thought with my Railway Experience, my Family Background and with my doing a TPO job I would be pretty confident of getting on as a TPO. Has its proving difficult im after every advantage to stand out without being a nuisance to them. I thought with me putting down my Railway experience plus wanting to work for the Railway for the rest of my working days would clinch it, seems like im going to have to hope perservance pays off in the end. ny advice/hints appreciated

302PS

Apologies if it's not intentional but you appear to maybe have come across a little expectant and that may have shown to them, as though you thought it was in the bag and the interview just a formality.
Treat it as if your a fresh starter wanting a new career and mentioning your experience is a bonus :)

AndyN

No offence took . Yes I was confident going in, now I realise things have chanced since I last worked for the Railway as years ago Railway connections was enough to get you in. Obviously now I will be more hopeful than confident. I just wondered if perservance will be a good thing and will get me noticed and how do they score the points.

hidden

You have to remember too that even for this position there were likely 100's of applications, what do you need to do? I'd say keep trying you've obviously got the right skills but as you've admitted you've asumed it's yours and this is never going to be the case until it is.
Have you asked for feedback as to why? With great respect none of us can tell you anymore than you know. Hope you understsnd and I wish you luck in your other applications!

AndyN

Northern Rail don't give feedback due to the amount of Applicants. What I have done today is wrote a letter to the person who interviewed me at Allerton and asked him if he could give me feedback as he seemed a decent bloke and he told me they expect more jobs to come up at Allerton Depot so asked for feedback so I can be better prepared next time

AndyN

Joe Holman interviewed me with another guy whos name I cant remember. Joe is the Engineering Depot Supervisor and is a good bloke. He told me the interview was tallied up in points.

AndyN

Im starting work on Monday Night Cleaning Trains at Liverpool Train Care Depot in Wavertree Liverpool for a Company called Voith at the Alstom Depot. I still want to get on Northern Rail and im hoping this can only improve my chances of getting into Northern Rail as I will know how to approach my interview next time.

Beveridges

Established Member
A lot of Train Cleaning jobs do seem to be 'entry-level', often requiring lots of prior cleaning experience in an industrial environment and previous experience of working night shifts.

They ask for a lot considering the wages.

AndyN

That's right, there bigger Trains to clean so if I got on Northern Rail there Trains should be a piece of cake to clean :)

shedman

That's right, there bigger Trains to clean so if I got on Northern Rail there Trains should be a piece of cake to clean :)

They may be smaller trains but you'll find fewer staff. The coach to cleaner ratio will work out around the same

Status
Not open for further replies.