• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train cancelled because of snow advanced ticket bought

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojomonster

Hi guys, do you know what the procedure is if your train is cancelled from snow and you have an advanced ticket? Do they allow the ticket to be used on a later train? Refund? Or simply you must by another.

Thanks in advance.

Jojo

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
As a general rule if your train is cancelled, and as a result you choose not to travel, you are entitled to a full refund (without admin fee). If you do travel, you can use the next service by the same Train Company (unless your ticket is not restricted to one Train Company), although you will not have a reserved seat. If there is severe disruption, the Train Companies may allow further travel options.

SWT were accepting any ticket on any train today as we were running a snow timetable.....

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi guys, do you know what the procedure is if your train is cancelled from snow and you have an advanced ticket? Do they allow the ticket to be used on a later train? Refund? Or simply you must by another.
What outcome would you prefer?

What is the itinerary you have?

As a general rule, you should be able to take either the preceding train, or the following train as appropriate. You may have to take a train operated by the same Company (but as your journey is unknown we cannot comment specifically on your case - you'd need to look it up).

In some cases, as 5920 (welcome to the forum!) says, Train Companies may allow you on any train, at their discretion.

If you prefer not to travel, a full refund is available to you (to clarify: the £10 admin fee is not due)

Tom B

Established Member
Question : what occurs in the case of TOCs such as Grand Central or Hull Trains? Would they be required to wait an elongated period until the next service which runs (a few hours? in which time it could be cancelled itself) even if there are many East Coast trains serving the same station?

DeeGee

Sometimes the likes of Hull Trains will speak to EC and get their tickets accepted on the EC trains. That's up to EC, though. I'm not sure of the behind the scenes shenanigans to allow this, though.

Station staff will tell you.

Sometimes the likes of Hull Trains will speak to EC and get their tickets accepted on the EC trains. That's up to EC, though. I'm not sure of the behind the scenes shenanigans to allow this, though.

Station staff will tell you.

That's what happened to me when I turned up at York station to get a Grand Central train to Kings Cross with an Advance ticket - I asked at Customer Services when I saw my train had been cancelled and I was told I could take the East Coast train that left before, or after - so I was back in Kings Cross earlier than expected.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Question : what occurs in the case of TOCs such as Grand Central or Hull Trains? Would they be required to wait an elongated period until the next service which runs (a few hours? in which time it could be cancelled itself) even if there are many East Coast trains serving the same station?
I have never heard of passengers being required to wait for an elongated period in the circumstances you describe.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I have never heard of passengers being required to wait for an elongated period in the circumstances you describe.

Indeed, I believe Grand Central and Hull Trains usually arrange acceptance with East Coast so passengers can make their trips.

jojomonster

i was unable to get to the station, snowed in here but my train wasn't cancelled. Sheffield-Liverpool. Thanks for your help though guys.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Contact the ticket issuer, they may still be able to do something in that scenario (if you don't ask you don't get).

Searle

Established Member

My brother has travelled on a First Hull Train between Doncaster and Stevenage when his East Coast train was cancelled about a year ago. The guard questioned it and he says he "charmed" his way out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.