• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Maintainer - TfL

hackney

Any one receive any update with train maintainer roll on the London underground yet, I recieved an email saying wait till march 2024

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kickers91

Had the same email, not received any calls or emails at all! Has gone very quiet. I ring up every so often but get told to just wait. I’ve asked for East depots only. In my honest opinion I doubt I will get the call up at the 18 month talent pool wait will elapse.

hackney

Had the same email, not received any calls or emails at all! Has gone very quiet. I ring up every so often but get told to just wait. I’ve asked for East depots only. In my honest opinion I doubt I will get the call up at the 18 month talent pool wait will elapse.
Hi yes I had an email saying waiting till June July that's when my 18 months, same I'm waiting for east london depots

kickers91

They’ve just put out a job advert for Train Maintainer positions. Don’t understand their hiring process as I’m pretty sure they have hardly put anyone into positions since the last hiring process - not sure wether to apply again?

hackney

They’ve just put out a job advert for Train Maintainer positions. Don’t understand their hiring process as I’m pretty sure they have hardly put anyone into positions since the last hiring process - not sure wether to apply again?
I emailed them apparently they are positions in Neasden depot. I contacted capita and for some reason it's always the same person answering, they said they don't deal this no more and told me to contact high volume campaigns.

I'd rather work in Neasden depot rather than waiting for something in East London depot. I'm sure we can change afterwards

Bankz

Hi all,

As the title implies, I recently applied for the Train Maintainer role at TfL.

Looks like a great opportunity to get into the railway — I have an engineering background, so hoping it’s a good fit.

I wondered if anyone had an idea of how long the hiring process is and when we would start hearing back to progress to the next stage. On the advert it said assessments will start in May - will this be after applications close later on this month or before?

Any other potential applicants on here? Would be great if we could keep each other sane during this process; I know hiring within the railway industry is notoriously slow! I know there is also the possibility you could sit in a talent pool for this role for 18 months.

Spurs1961

Hi Bankz, I applied for this over a year ago around November 2022 I think.
The process can be a little drawn out but if I remember correctly from applying to being offered a position in the pool was about 5 months.
Obviously then waiting in a pool could be much longer (think there was a link with people from the same application as me still waiting in pools).
I was lucky enough to be offered another position that I had applied for within LU & took that asI didn't want to have to be in my old job any longer.
Hope this helps.

hackney

The process can be a little drawn out but if I remember correctly from applying to being offered a position in the pool was about 5 months.
Obviously then waiting in a pool could be much longer (think there was a link with people from the same application as me still waiting in pools).
I was lucky enough to be offered another position that I had applied for within LU & took that asI didn't want to have to be in my old job any longer.
Hope this helps.
Hi mate I applied the same time and still waiting ever since, what depot did u get? I have been waiting since last year in the talent pool, I've been phone emailing and still nothing yet. It's a bit long but not for all hopefully

Hi mate I applied the same time and still waiting ever since, what depot did u get?

Hi I have been waiting since last year in the talent pool, I've been phone emailing and still nothing yet. It's a bit long but not for all hopefully

Me and another guy Kickers91 I think applied in 2022. Got invited to baker street for the test and interview the next month and got a successful email in March 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spurs1961

Hi mate I applied the same time and still waiting ever since, what depot did u get?
Hi Hackney, I got Acton TMU.
Hi I have been waiting since last year in the talent pool, I've been phone emailing and still nothing yet. It's a bit long but not for all hopefully
I was lucky enough to be offered 3 positions from the 4 jobs i applied for and HR said I needed to make a choice, I really didn't like the previous job I was in
and couldn't sit waiting in a pool so took one of the other positions.
It's worked out really well and I'm enjoying it.
Good luck.

hackney

Hi Hackney, I got Acton TMU.

I was lucky enough to be offered 3 positions from the 4 jobs i applied for and HR said I needed to make a choice, I really didn't like the previous job I was in
and couldn't sit waiting in a pool so took one of the other positions.
It's worked out really well and I'm enjoying it.
Good luck.
Great job mate, thanks

Bankz

Hi all,

Thanks for getting back to me. It has been very helpful.

@Spurs1961, you said you were offered 3 positions, just out of curiosity were they all engineering-related ones and were they all with LU?

@hackney, I’m yet to hear anything back from this campaign. Applications closed on 17 May.

Spurs1961

@Spurs1961, you said you were offered 3 positions, just out of curiosity were they all engineering-related ones and were they all with LU?

Hi Bankz, yes they were all engineering.
Bakerloo line project, central line project and train maintainer if I remember correctly.

Yedu

Hi all,

Looks like a great opportunity to get into the railway — I have an engineering background, so hoping it’s a good fit.

I wondered if anyone had an idea of how long the hiring process is and when we would start hearing back to progress to the next stage. On the advert it said assessments will start in May - will this be after applications close later on this month or before?

Any other potential applicants on here? Would be great if we could keep each other sane during this process; I know hiring within the railway industry is notoriously slow! I know there is also the possibility you could sit in a talent pool for this role for 18 months.
Hey.... I applied for the same... But havent hear back anything after the deadline!!
Hi all,

Hope this helps.
Hi spurs, will everyone be on the 18 month waiting list? Because in the job advert it was mentioned. Multiple opportunities to join Neasden depot and bakerloo and you may also be held in talent pool.... So I was just confused.. How does it work?

Spurs1961

Hi spurs, will everyone be on the 18 month waiting list? Because in the job advert it was mentioned. Multiple opportunities to join Neasden depot and bakerloo and you may also be held in talent pool.... So I was just confused.. How does it work?
I can't give you a definitive answer but believe it will probably be as follows.

Train maintainer, you will sit in a pool with a preference of where you want to be located (east London for example) and when a position becomes available they will contact you with a start date but you could possibly be in the pool for a long time.
If over 18 months and I think you have to start the whole process over again.

Bakerloo / Neasden, I think these are projects that are being carried out on the trains (door overhaul etc etc).
Generally I think these are being offered as fixed term contract (all the benefits of working for TFL) but when the project is finished you no longer have a job.
This sounds harsh but I believe Generally they try to find other projects you could move to and there is nothing to stop you applying for other permanent positions as an internal employee.

I'm guessing you will only be offered the projects if you're skills are really suitable, but even then you could probably say no and that you would rather wait in the train maintainer pool for a permanent position.

As I said at the beginning, this is my best assumption.

Hope this helps.