• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
For a 142 or 150, on average, how often are the wheels replaced and how much does each wheel cost? I was wondering about this when on a 142 on Friday which was negotiating a curve, with the resulting noise piercing my brain!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisCooper

Established Member
AFAIK, like with car tires, they will be changed when they reach certain limits. Things like flange depth and profile, and tire thickness, and of cource flats. Initially they would be reprofiled, but when they get beyond that they need changing. Again, like with a car, only the tires would be changed, but since it involves removing the whole wheelset, most of the time it will be swapped. If both axles need doing they might even swap the whole bogie. Depending on the equipment available it might be required to swap out the wheelset to reprofile too, although many depots have wheel lathes that can reprofile tires in situ. I don't think wheelsets are changed at all, unless they become damaged.

brel york

the main failure of a wheel set is the axle ,if thats ok a wheel can be pressed on if the wheels ok then the tyre can be changed

TGV

That's assuming its a wheel that has a tyre. TGV wheelsets are monobloc - no tyres. Wheel turning is carried out until a minimum profile or diameter is reached then the wheelset must be replaced.

That's assuming its a wheel that has a tyre. TGV wheelsets are monobloc - no tyres. Wheel turning is carried out until a minimum profile or diameter is reached then the wheelset must be replaced.

As far as I know, most modern units are fitted with monobloc (i.e. one piece) wheels and are dealt with in this way.

captainbigun

Expect a driven wheelset including a gearbox with a solid pan to cost into the 10s of thousands of pounds to overhaul. So throw into the equation the number of wheelsets, the bogie (if fitted) overhaul (rubbers etc replaced, check frames etc), motors (as appropriate) and the vehicle lift and dismantling it's not a cheap exercise.

Add in to the above the risk that a % of axles with fail MPI/UAT at overhaul and a further quantity will be scrapped through scoring when the wheel pan is removed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As far as I know, most modern units are fitted with monobloc (i.e. one piece) wheels and are dealt with in this way.

SABs are still in quite wide use in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.