• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newapplicant

Hi all,

Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering with everyone talking about the training routine, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm what Northern's is like as I'm hoping to soon be a driver with Northern, so would be interesting to know what the routine is like.

Bit of an odd question too but does anyone know if whilst in training specifically the classroom stuff whether you can have a laptop with you to take notes etc or is it purely pen and paper on the day?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

That is completely TOC dependent. For my TOC that's almost entirely incorrect for example.

Same as - in fact I was told I needed to book some AL after my classroom training had finished, and which is during the time with a DI

Sly Sloth

Hi all,

Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering with everyone talking about the training routine, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm what Northern's is like as I'm hoping to soon be a driver with Northern, so would be interesting to know what the routine is like.

Bit of an odd question too but does anyone know if whilst in training specifically the classroom stuff whether you can have a laptop with you to take notes etc or is it purely pen and paper on the day?

Thanks in advance.
My mate has recently been on a drivers course and they filmed loads of traction stuff. If you want a laptop you could do I’m sure

LCC106

Established Member
Is there a specific reason you wish to use a laptop? e.g. does it help with any conditions you may have? Not being nosey. Might be worth asking the TOC first to explore whether it’s necessary.

skyhigh

Established Member
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
If you want to take a laptop no issues with that, though you get given a tablet you can use to take notes if you want.

You get a week off around week 9 (though that's a contingency week so if the course is running behind for whatever reason that week might be sacrificed. After that you won't be permitted to take time off until you're with your minder driver - around week 28 onwards depending on which depot you're going to.

wobman

On Moderation
Everything you need for the course will be explained, but some tocs give out tablets others rely on the trainees having laptops.
During the classroom elements it will need trainees to take notes but coursework will need to be completed online via a tablet or laptop.

There's parts of the course such as the CMS which is an online system, all will be explained by the trainers but you will certainly need a laptop Armthorpe various stages as there's lots of typing up of course material needed by trainees.

Newapplicant

Is there a specific reason you wish to use a laptop? e.g. does it help with any conditions you may have? Not being nosey. Might be worth asking the TOC first to explore whether it’s necessary.

No specific reason, I just find I type faster than writing and given how intensive I've heard the course is I figured if I can do something to make my life a little easier then I will. 8-)

LCC106

Established Member
No specific reason, I just find I type faster than writing and given how intensive I've heard the course is I figured if I can do something to make my life a little easier then I will. 8-)
I suspect you really don’t need this… but ask trainers for their take and congratulations x

Shunted

When do you start your course or are you still at the application stage?

Tallpaul1606

Not sure laptop would be beneficial. There's quite alot to take in and as your trainer is explaining certain things you will be quickly making notes whilst copying diagrams drawn on a white board. Some on my course make rough notes and diagrams then type it up when they get home.
Northern training really well structured, everything explained thoroughly and they are more than happy to go over anything you're not sure about.

Terry844

Some people have been taking photos of slides and what’s been put on whiteboards and then writing up notes at leisure in their own time whilst also making quick bullet point notes of what the instructor says is important during the lessons

Newapplicant

When do you start your course or are you still at the application stage?
I have my driver interview for Northern on Monday so I'm still far from the finish line.

Thank you for all of the advice everyone regarding the laptop, I'll play it by ear should I reach that far!

Newapplicant

Have you completed all of the psychometric testing?
So I have my train drivers interview on Monday. However I have psychometric testing for service driver (depot) on 5th July. Hoping if I do well on both I'll just be able to use the psychometric testing for train driver too rather than having to retake it.

Trainrave

So I have my train drivers interview on Monday. However I have psychometric testing for service driver (depot) on 5th July. Hoping if I do well on both I'll just be able to use the psychometric testing for train driver too rather than having to retake it.

Good Luck.

CardiffDan

Good luck today

Newapplicant

How did you get on?
I really don't know, the interview was a bit harder than I was expecting although I made sure I answered all the questions. Whether they were strong enough though.

I've been replaying it back in my head all day and on the one hand, I think I did fairly strong, I nailed some of the bits I wanted to but then on the other hand I think, I could I have done more.

Guess it's a wait-and-see game now, just torturing myself by constantly refreshing my inbox and application portal to see if there is any update.

I'll keep you posted once I know..

CardiffDan

I really don't know, the interview was a bit harder than I was expecting although I made sure I answered all the questions. Whether they were strong enough though.

I've been replaying it back in my head all day and on the one hand, I think I did fairly strong, I nailed some of the bits I wanted to but then on the other hand I think, I could I have done more.

Guess it's a wait-and-see game now, just torturing myself by constantly refreshing my inbox and application portal to see if there is any update.

I'll keep you posted once I know..

Same as me. Spent all day yesterday refreshing inbox

CardiffDan

So I'm pleased to say I found out yesterday that I've passed my interview. Psychometric testing next.

@CardiffDan have you heard anything?

Congratulations mate.

No still nothing. After killing the refresh button on my emails, it's going to be a long weekend.

They did say it would be in the week so assuming I've failed

So I'm pleased to say I found out yesterday that I've passed my interview. Psychometric testing next.

If you need any info on the testing give me a shout. That bit I can pass lol

Just heard. In the talent pool

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.