• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales Cardiff Central - Cheltenham Spa

Starmill

Veteran Member
Hello all

I couldn't see this under discussion anywhere else. Please can someone point me towards it if so?

The paper timetable leaflet for the TfW Maesteg - Cheltenham Spa group of services expired yesterday. I don't think there's any replacement online but if there is please can someone point it out?

I guessed this was because today was intended to be the first day of the delayed introduction of a full hourly stopping service through to at least Gloucester by TfW. For years there's been a missing diagram for much of the day, meaning awkward two trains every three hours service. However some of these extra services have been planned cancelled today.

Anyone got any updates?

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vicbury

Have any of the new services actually run today? When commuting from Lydney via Severn Tunnel Junction this morning, the departure boards at both were confusingly showing the new services as delayed rather than cancelled. The timetable displays at Severn Tunnel Junction still contain the timetables that allegedly expired yesterday.

One other oddity that I have noticed is that the new 0632 TfW service from Cheltenham Spa is timetabled to get to Cardiff Central after the 0641 CrossCountry service. Not sure how they've managed that when both call at all stations along the route!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Have any of the new services actually run today? When commuting from Lydney via Severn Tunnel Junction this morning, the departure boards at both were confusingly showing the new services as delayed rather than cancelled. The timetable displays at Severn Tunnel Junction still contain the timetables that allegedly expired yesterday.

One other oddity that I have noticed is that the new 0632 TfW service from Cheltenham Spa is timetabled to get to Cardiff Central after the 0641 CrossCountry service. Not sure how they've managed that when both call at all stations along the route!

The XC can pass the TfW on the 4 track section between Severn Tunnel Junction & Cardiff Central

vicbury

The XC can pass the TfW on the 4 track section between Severn Tunnel Junction & Cardiff Central
Thanks, that make sense but do you know why it would be planned that way? It takes away any incentive to use the new TfW service.

Dr Day

XC train crew have indicated XC will drop the intermediate calls between Gloucester and Newport, so maybe a wider recast on this route is in the offing?

vicbury

XC train crew have indicated XC will drop the intermediate calls between Gloucester and Newport, so maybe a wider recast on this route is in the offing?
Oh that's a shame, CrossCountry are generally more reliable than TfW. I hope any future recast doesn't break connections towards Bristol at Severn Tunnel Junction, which currently rely on the CrossCountry services.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Oh that's a shame, CrossCountry are generally more reliable than TfW. I hope any future recast doesn't break connections towards Bristol at Severn Tunnel Junction, which currently rely on the CrossCountry services.
I think that in the case of that one particular service it doesn't make much sense to have the same stops just 10 minutes apart. More widely they're generally a good spread apart, and as such provide a lot of value for half-hourly peak service Chepstow - Newport and Lydney - Gloucester etc etc

Thanks all. If I receive a response to my enquiry with TfW I will let you know...

Last edited: