• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling THROUGH Different Tiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

Bit of a quandary and can't find any answers anywhere.

If I live in a Tier 2 area and need to travel to another Tier 2 area but the train goes through either a Tier 3 or Tier 4 area, are there any restrictions on this?

It's not for work, but for personal reasons.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peterblue

You're allowed to travel through a higher tiered area as part of a longer journey.

Additionally, there is no legal mandate against travel in tiers 1 through 3. There are only tighter restrictions within the new tier 4. You'll be fine.

DB

You're allowed to travel through a higher tiered area as part of a longer journey.

Additionally, there is no legal mandate against travel in tiers 1 through 3. There are only tighter restrictions within the new tier 4. You'll be fine.

Don't believe there are actually any travel restrictions affecting tier 4 either.

The difference between that and other tiers is that residents in it are supposed to stay at home unless they have a good reason, but there are so many of those that it's fairly meaningless.

adc82140

Established Member
This morning I am in Tier 4. I will be travelling to Tier 3, going via Teir 2. All of this is allowed.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Noting that the OP is apparently in Co Kildare, in the Republic of Ireland, the rules for travelling between there and Great Britain may also be relevant.

(No quote posted as the rules are likely to change as the situation develops).

theironroad

Established Member
This morning I am in Tier 4. I will be travelling to Tier 3, going via Teir 2. All of this is allowed.

Not for leisure it's not, so I assume you have another reason.

The government website says that those in tier 4 should 'stay at home' unless they have a defined 'reasonable excuse' and should not travel around tier 4 except for one of those reasons.

It also says that people should stay at home and not travel outside of a tier 4 region except for a 'legally permitted reason'.

However as we all know by now, what the government want and legislate and what happens in reality seem to be very different things for many people.

adc82140

Established Member
Not for leisure it's not, so I assume you have another reason.

The government website says that those in tier 4 should 'stay at home' unless they have a defined 'reasonable excuse' and should not travel around tier 4 except for one of those reasons.

It also says that people should stay at home and not travel outside of a tier 4 region except for a 'legally permitted reason'.

However as we all know by now, what the government want and legislate and what happens in reality seem to be very different things for many people.
Travelling from an overnight with our support bubble, going home to Tier 3, crossing via Tier 2.

I will be tomorrow travelling from Tier 3 to Tier 2, because that's where the big Tesco is.

Last edited:

Steddenm

Noting that the OP is apparently in Co Kildare, in the Republic of Ireland, the rules for travelling between there and Great Britain may also be relevant.

(No quote posted as the rules are likely to change as the situation develops).

At the moment it is Scottish Tier 3 to English Tier 4 I need to travel in via Tiers 3 and Tier 2.

Thanks.

DB

That's essential food shopping - that's specifically allowed for in the rules.

There are no restrictions on travelling to do any shopping, essential or not.

Only slight question is Tier 4, where driving to a Tesco 50 miles away might be judged as not being a reasonable excuse for not remaining at home, if here was a Tesco half a mile away. If you were going to get something not available in Tier 4 because the type of shop which sells it has been forced to close, that may well be a stronger case

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There are no restrictions on travelling to do any shopping, essential or not.

Only slight question is Tier 4, where driving to a Tesco 50 miles away might be judged as not being a reasonable excuse for not remaining at home, if here was a Tesco half a mile away. If you were going to get something not available in Tier 4 because the type of shop which sells it has been forced to close, that may well be a stronger case

50 miles is probably too far, but you certainly can go further than a nearer store if you are unable to get what you need at the nearer stores - and I have this in writing from my MP:

Yes you are. That is not a problem.

1609017361814.png

Edited because I left out the word "go"...

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
There are no legal restrictions on travelling within England unless you live in tier 4.

If you live in a tier 4 area in England you must not leave home without a reasonable excuse. There is a non-exhaustive list of reasonable excuses set out in law, such as going to visit a member of your support bubble, recreation in a public open space, purchasing food and household essentials, and going to purchase or collect goods from a business which is legally permitted to be open/offering “click & collect”. There is no maximum distance prescribed in law, but there is potential that travelling a great distance to do or buy something which you could do or buy more locally may be classed as not reasonable and result in a risk of prosecution.

If you travel from a tier 4 area to a lower tier area you may, depending on the reason for your travel, be in breach of the requirement to not leave home without a reasonable excuse.

There is guidance, which is not legally enforceable, against travelling into or out of tiers 3 or 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.