• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trenitalia - Excelsior Sleepers - worth it?

Iskra

Established Member
I've been quite happily travelling in the standard sleeper cabins on Trenitalia for a number of years now, these are absolutely fine and good value. However, a train I plan to use this year carries the Excelsior Sleeper cabins, with their own toilet and shower, but they are pretty much double the cost. This journey is on the longer side and could well be subject to delay- 2000 at Lamezia Terme to Milano Centrale arriving 1122. Is it worth the upgrade or not, what are members experiences of these cabins?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superalbs

Established Member
I've been quite happily travelling in the standard sleeper cabins on Trenitalia for a number of years now, these are absolutely fine and good value. However, a train I plan to use this year carries the Excelsior Sleeper cabins, with their own toilet and shower, but they are pretty much double the cost. This journey is on the longer side and could well be subject to delay- 2000 at Lamezia Terme to Milano Centrale arriving 1122. Is it worth the upgrade or not, what are members experiences of these cabins?

Thanks in advance :)
When I last did it, I paid around £100, which was about £10 more than the regular sleeper. Shame to see the prices go up like that, though I am not surprised as it's a really good product.

How many people are travelling? If more than one, then the extra space afforded by these massive rooms would definitely be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm not so sure, it depends if you value the shower that much.

Iskra

Established Member
When I last did it, I paid around £100, which was about £10 more than the regular sleeper. Shame to see the prices go up like that, though I am not surprised as it's a really good product.

How many people are travelling? If more than one, then the extra space afforded by these massive rooms would definitely be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm not so sure, it depends if you value the shower that much.
It is peak season to be fair that I'm looking at. It's just me travelling, I went for it anyway, mainly just to try it out since I normally use trains that don't have that offering.

railfan99

Established Member
It is peak season to be fair that I'm looking at. It's just me travelling, I went for it anyway, mainly just to try it out since I normally use trains that don't have that offering.

I remember the days of the Sydney-Melbourne, Australia 'Southern Aurora' and Melbourne-Adelaide 'The Overland' (when latter was a night train) whose twinette compartments (two berth, no sharing with strangers) always had an en suite shower and toilet. Even today's 41 year old Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane XPTs have a toilet/shower shared between two compartments (sharing with same sex strangers can occur).

in October 2023, I travelled from Milano to Palermo (c.20 hours) and back to Roma (not the Queensland country town!) Neither had an Excelsior sleeper (from memory, that was on the Siracusa section split at Messina Centrale), but if an Excelsior compartment had been twice the cost, I would have not paid the extra Eurailpass supplement. I might consider 25 per cent on top of the fare/Eurailpass supplement for a standard sleeping compartment, but 2x is too much.

It boils down to personal preference, similar to how some who are moneyed choose three or 3.5 star hotels even when four and five star are available, but others less affluent but having the 'holiday of a lifetime' splurge.

If you'll not have showered for 24 hours before joining the train, you may want to do the latter.

Mr_B

Don't think I'd pay double, took an Excelsior last May from Milan > Catania but it was only about £10 more for ticket than the Interrail supplement for standard sleepers. Shower is underwhelming, but it worked OK. Room itself may be marginally bigger but the shower/toilet door rotates so does impinge in the space.

Iskra

Established Member
I remember the days of the Sydney-Melbourne, Australia 'Southern Aurora' and Melbourne-Adelaide 'The Overland' (when latter was a night train) whose twinette compartments (two berth, no sharing with strangers) always had an en suite shower and toilet. Even today's 41 year old Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane XPTs have a toilet/shower shared between two compartments (sharing with same sex strangers can occur).

in October 2023, I travelled from Milano to Palermo (c.20 hours) and back to Roma (not the Queensland country town!) Neither had an Excelsior sleeper (from memory, that was on the Siracusa section split at Messina Centrale), but if an Excelsior compartment had been twice the cost, I would have not paid the extra Eurailpass supplement. I might consider 25 per cent on top of the fare/Eurailpass supplement for a standard sleeping compartment, but 2x is too much.

It boils down to personal preference, similar to how some who are moneyed choose three or 3.5 star hotels even when four and five star are available, but others less affluent but having the 'holiday of a lifetime' splurge.

If you'll not have showered for 24 hours before joining the train, you may want to do the latter.
Yes, it does come down to preference. I’m spending a decent amount of time on trains during the day, boarding the sleeper at 2000 and alighting at 1122 and then I’ll be catching a flight back to England at 1900 that evening so the shower and the additional space for the daylight morning section may well be valued.