• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TreNord Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers25

Established Member
I want to buy a ticket online from Tirano to Milan but I may not make my booked train as it's only an 8 minute connection from my train from St Moritz.If I translate correctly that wouldn't be an issue as my ticket is valid for 6 hours for trips between 51 and 200 km and so if my ticket was for the 1508 could I still take the 1608 as long as I kept within the 6 hour rule. Is that correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think there's any need to buy a ticket in advance online. I think you're right, though, that you can take the next few trains if you do.

Why not have a little break at Tirano, though, and simply buy your ticket when you arrive?

LowLevel

Established Member
Having spent the night there, there isn't much happening in Tirano but you can get a half decent pizza :)

You might find 8 minutes a bit tight to get over to the Trenord station if you're even slightly late. It's also unlikely but not impossible to get a customs check.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
That's partly why I'd build a little break into the itinerary anyway. I think I'd need one after a run down the Bernina line, too.

embers25

Established Member
That's partly why I'd build a little break into the itinerary anyway. I think I'd need one after a run down the Bernina line, too.

I don't have a choice on the lack of break really as I have to get back to Milan for my flight home and anyway by that point I'd have been travelling by train since 1800 the previous night so I'll be used to sitting down as there are no sleepers involved!

I understand your point though as after 3 hours on the open coach wooden benches I could barely move!

Last time I was in Tirano I waited a bit for my tickets which is why I'd rather buy in advance to avoid that wait but as I arrive at 1500 I may miss the 1508 so i just wanted to be sure I could use the 1608 with my ticket for the 1508. I know fare wise there is no benefit and I will be at the front of the train upon arrival at Tirano to speed things up and there is also a small amount of padding in the timetable on approach to Tirano so I have a chance (assuming no customs).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Ah. Well, if you have a flight to catch, you'll need to get a move on :lol:

If you feel more comfortable buying ahead of time, then you should do that. I assume you'll have time to get your flight if you catch the 1608?

embers25

Established Member
Ah. Well, if you have a flight to catch, you'll need to get a move on :lol:

If you feel more comfortable buying ahead of time, then you should do that. I assume you'll have time to get your flight if you catch the 1608?

Yes just. Thanks for the all the advice!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Maybe not relevant, but Interrail tickets are valid on the Trenord services from Tirano (at least that was the case in 2014).
Also, try and get a seat on the right hand side of the Milan train (the north side nearest the RhB station as you leave Tirano) for the best lake views later in the journey.
Buon viaggio!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The right side is the side for the lake, yes indeed. That's the side I sat on when I went to Varenna!

Trenitalia

I want to buy a ticket online from Tirano to Milan but I may not make my booked train as it's only an 8 minute connection from my train from St Moritz.If I translate correctly that wouldn't be an issue as my ticket is valid for 6 hours for trips between 51 and 200 km and so if my ticket was for the 1508 could I still take the 1608 as long as I kept within the 6 hour rule. Is that correct?

Hello,
you are right. If you buy the ticket for the 15:08 train, it is valid for the next 6 hours. You can use the 16:08 train or others, but you must reach Milan in the next 6 hours from 15:08. Notice that the ticket is valid only for the day printed on the ticket.

embers25

Established Member
Hello,
you are right. If you buy the ticket for the 15:08 train, it is valid for the next 6 hours. You can use the 16:08 train or others, but you must reach Milan in the next 6 hours from 15:08. Notice that the ticket is valid only for the day printed on the ticket.

That's great. Thanks for the confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.