• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Triangular journey Sheffield-London-Swansea-Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

button_boxer

Established Member
I've just found out I need to make a triangular journey the week after next:
  • Monday evening - Sheffield to London
  • Tuesday evening - London to Swansea
  • Wednesday evening - Swansea to Sheffield
I can do it with advances for each leg for ~£120, but is there any trick I can use that's not much more expensive but gives more flexibility on at least the return leg on Wednesday? Nothing too esoteric as I'm charging the trip to work so it needs to make sense on my expenses claim. Sheffield to Swindon return (£128.50, valid both ways via London and via Bristol) plus Bristol Parkway to Swansea return (£38.20) seems to work but does anyone have any better ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Given that you can use the outward part of the Sheffield-Swindon return ticket between London and Swindon on the Tuesday only if you couldn't complete the journey on the Monday, trying to complete the journey to Swindon on Tuesday evening rather than Tuesday morning may lead to some interesting conversations.

I did wonder about a Retford-Swansea super offpeak return (combined with a Sheffield-Retford single for the Monday evening), but that would face the same "completion of the outward journey on the evening of the second day issue"

button_boxer

Established Member
Given that you can use the outward part of the Sheffield-Swindon return ticket between London and Swindon on the Tuesday only if you couldn't complete the journey on the Monday, trying to complete the journey to Swindon on Tuesday evening rather than Tuesday morning may lead to some interesting conversations.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that as the first time I tried to price this journey up was a few weeks ago where I was doing Sheffield to London to Swansea on the same day.

MarlowDonkey

I've just found out I need to make a triangular journey the week after next:
  • Monday evening - Sheffield to London
  • Tuesday evening - London to Swansea
  • Wednesday evening - Swansea to Sheffield
Does splitting at Bristol (Parkway) make any sense?

Advance Sheffield to London
Advance London to Bristol Parkway
Return (Offpeak?) Bristol Parkway to Swansea
Single Bristol Parkway to Sheffield (split if necessary)

Status
Not open for further replies.