• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus services that are increasing soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
In a surpise move, First Potteries will introduce a 9 buses per hour frequency on one service next week (3/3A). It was only 6 buses per hour pre covid. Achieved by running a reduced 'holiday' frequency on another route (25 serving Keele University). Still a few buses short of the normal PVR but much better than the past three months.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MB162435

Established Member
Kernow is launching its delayed open top buses and the A2-4 routes on the 12th July, originally planned to launch on the 29th March, but delayed to you know what and service increases on many of the other Penzance and Newquay routes

Few alterations to what was originally planned 2 hourly instead of hourly and two of the A4s running to and from Camborne bus station for example, but further increases are expected when the demand is there and restrictions aren't

Timetables are now on on the Kernow website and hard copies available shortly

AdamWW

Established Member
Kernow is launching its delayed open top buses and the A2-4 routes on the 12th July, originally planned to launch on the 29th March, but delayed to you know what and service increases on many of the other Penzance and Newquay routes

Few alterations to what was originally planned 2 hourly instead of hourly and two of the A4s running to and from Camborne bus station for example, but further increases are expected when the demand is there and restrictions aren't

Timetables are now on on the Kernow website and hard copies available shortly

Open top buses seem like a good idea, if people are safer outdoors than indoors.

Maybe they should have an exemption to the mask rule.

AdamWW

Established Member
The real problem will come if the government cut the Covid-19 Bus Services Support Grant. This has been in place for two separate 12 week periods, but will have to end sometime.
An interesting discussion from MD of First West of England, and CEO of Transdev Blazefield below.
https://www.transportxtra.com/publi...s-but-ask-what-happens-if-the-money-runs-out-

Interesting. I liked the line “The first thing to say is I now know what it’s like to work in the cigarette production industry,”

I didn't see a mention of the large proportion of their revenue that must come from free pass users, many of whom will fall into risk groups.

MB162435

Established Member
Open top buses seem like a good idea, if people are safer outdoors than indoors.

Maybe they should have an exemption to the mask rule.
Certainly the safest public transport you could possibly travel on really, be difficult to allowing non-face coverings tho as some of Kernow's open tops are part open, with a closed front so technically in closed as would people downstairs, so would be easier keeping face coverings mandatory, especially if they get busy during the school summer holidays

AdamWW

Established Member
Certainly the safest public transport you could possibly travel on really, be difficult to allowing non-face coverings tho as some of Kernow's open tops are part open, with a closed front so technically in closed as would people downstairs, so would be easier keeping face coverings mandatory, especially if they get busy during the school summer holidays

Wasn't a very serious suggestion. But still....

CD

First sending out mixed messages by running the O/T 501 in Weymouth and O/T routes in Cornwall. Running tourist routes and stating only travel if essential.

MB162435

Established Member
Awwww. That spoils the fun.

(OK - point taken).
True, always part of the fun of social media seeing people kick off at a intended joke or something

Wasn’t having a go at you by the way, said things on this forum myself intended light heartedly but was taken the wrong way, just advising!

AdamWW

Established Member
True, always part of the fun of social media seeing people kick off at a intended joke or something

Not something I do deliberataly.

(I'm not new to social media by the way, though I am round here - been using it since 1986, long before we had smileys and the like).

MB162435

Established Member
Not something I do deliberataly.

(I'm not new to social media by the way, though I am round here - been using it since 1986, long before we had smileys and the like).
You can never know how someone else will react, no matter how experience you are!

Not sure when the open tops are expected to finish tho, just that they are meant to start on the 12th

AdamWW

Established Member
You can never know how someone else will react, no matter how experience you are!

How dare you! (Sorry - had to say that)

First sending out mixed messages by running the O/T 501 in Weymouth and O/T routes in Cornwall. Running tourist routes and stating only travel if essential.

Well that's an interesting one, isn't it?

Looks as if sightseeing buses have started up again in London. I suppose if you get on one of those you're not depriving a key worker of their safe travel to work, and maybe the same could be said for open top service bus routes?

MB162435

Established Member
How dare you! (Sorry - had to say that)

Well that's an interesting one, isn't it?

Looks as if sightseeing buses have started up again in London. I suppose if you get on one of those you're not depriving a key worker of their safe travel to work, and maybe the same could be said for open top service bus routes?
That's OK, I'll let you off!

Also leisure travel is unofficially allowed by the Government, so open tops are allowed and a good way of bus companies getting some much needed money in

scotrail158713

Established Member
Edinburgh Tour buses are restarting from 15th July with a few reasonable precautions
Funnily enough after reading the above posts re masks this was part of their advice - as they also have partially covered top decks.
If you can, please wear a face covering if sitting downstairs or under the covered area upstairs.
They don’t seem to mind if passengers outdoors don’t have masks

stuartl

I've had an email from Stagecoach Yorkshire to say that they are doubling the number of people allowed on their buses by implementing a zig zag pattern, rather than having to leave a seat empty in front and behind you.
They say it's partly due to everyone having to wear a mask.

Andyh82

Established Member
Edinburgh Tour buses are restarting from 15th July with a few reasonable precautions
Funnily enough after reading the above posts re masks this was part of their advice - as they also have partially covered top decks.

They don’t seem to mind if passengers outdoors don’t have masks
Very limited timetables compared to normal of course

Is the move to St Andrews Square Covid social distancing related or for another reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.