• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your experiences of cases on the railway where the less premium offering is superior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
Whenever I buy an Anytime ticket in Standard, as in the real business world who knows when the meeting will finish, and then have a less featured environment than those on Advances in First who have paid half the price. This particularly applies where I'm standing in Standard and there are empty seats in First.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T-Karmel

Roving around airport expresses, there's one in, I think, Oslo airport with a "Connect" train stopping on the way. Journey time difference is like 2 mins but it costs you just half the price of the Express train.

BigCj34

At certain times of day/week, Greater Anglia between Cambridge and London can be more pleasant than GTR, with quieter trains for not much of a journey time penalty.
Their standard class seats were comfier on the MK3's than in First, although they are mostly, if not completely, out of service. I believe the complementary snacks were discontinued as well, making it even worse value.

trebor79

Established Member
Their standard class seats were comfier on the MK3's than in First, although they are mostly, if not completely, out of service. I believe the complementary snacks were discontinued as well, making it even worse value.
Mk3s are all gone. The first class seats were comfortable if you just wanted to relax and enjoy the view but useless for working as if you sat with your back against the seat back you needed gadget arms to reach your keyboard. Bagging a table seat in standard was a better bet.

Haven't sampled first class in a 745 yet but it looks pretty good.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
As has been said before regarding Heathrow Express. Turn-up fare one-way £25 (plus Underground fare to Paddington) v Underground all the way (from Euston) a few weeks ago £3.10. Just allow yourself the time.

James James

Roving around airport expresses, there's one in, I think, Oslo airport with a "Connect" train stopping on the way. Journey time difference is like 2 mins but it costs you just half the price of the Express train.
Timetable for the regular trains was much less convenient last time I was there - I happened to be lucky, a few minutes later and I'd have been stuck a long time.

Mikey C

Established Member
Controversial perhaps, but I'd say if you're travelling London - Birmingham then Chiltern is nicer than Avanti - and considerably cheaper in the peak!
Leaving aside the Mk 3s, while the trains are noisier, the seats on the Chiltern 168s are to me much more comfortable than those on the Pendolinos, and it's a much better view out of the window

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Leaving aside the Mk 3s, while the trains are noisier, the seats on the Chiltern 168s are to me much more comfortable than those on the Pendolinos, and it's a much better view out of the window

Standard class window seat on a Pendolino is torture, particularly on a busy service where you may have someone of rather large girth sat next to you.

To the best of my knowledge, Grand Central’s AP tickets are less expensive than LNER’s between York/Doncaster and Kings Cross and I’d take an Adelante any day over an Azuma.

That's concerning. I took a few trips on Adelantes when they were first in service. Underwhelmed, so actively avoided them, preferring to take an HST instead.

Are we going backwards when it come to passenger comfort? I seem to remember reading that 1st class on some, probably first generation, EMU/DMU was put in the middle of a carriage as that location gave the most comfortable ride. Can't see that happening nowadays.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Often on the Northern WCML Avanti Only tickets are cheaper than TPE only tickets, despite Avanti offering a fuller service (shop, full at-seat first-class service) with TPE offering a lesser service (Trolley and no full catering service in first class)

xotGD

Established Member
On Chiltern, Standard Class seats are available right behind the loco, while those paying for First Class are deprived of the thrash at the back of the train.

TPE have learnt from this.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
and it's a much better view out of the window
Just a pity that the route is dull as dishwater compared to the southern WCML, which is actually reasonably nice to look out the window from - there's no doubt in my mind that the WCML is the better route into Birmingham.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Just a pity that the route is dull as dishwater compared to the southern WCML, which is actually reasonably nice to look out the window from - there's no doubt in my mind that the WCML is the better route into Birmingham.
It's not bad if you know what you're looking for. Bordesley viaduct, Leamington viaduct, Harbury cutting, Aynho Jn (esp. on the down), Princes Risborough to Denham through the Chilterns and the Colne Valley. And then plenty of railway interest within London. I'll admit the rest is typically bland English countryside, but at least you don't have to suffer 1960s concrete bunkers..

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's not bad if you know what you're looking for. Leamington viaduct, Harbury cutting, Aynho Jn (esp. on the down), Princes Risborough to Denham through the Chilterns and the Colne Valley. And then plenty of railway interest within London.
Leamington viaduct and Harbury cutting are both old hat for me because I live local unfortunately. Aynho on the down I definitely agree with and Princes Risborough (more Saunderton tbf) to Beaconsfield is quite nice, particularly the open bit between Saunderton and Wycombe (and then the view of Wycombe as you approach heading south). Other than those bits it's pretty dull though and honestly feels like it takes forever.

Mikey C

Established Member
Leamington viaduct and Harbury cutting are both old hat for me because I live local unfortunately. Aynho on the down I definitely agree with and Princes Risborough (more Saunderton tbf) to Beaconsfield is quite nice, particularly the open bit between Saunderton and Wycombe (and then the view of Wycombe as you approach heading south). Other than those bits it's pretty dull though and honestly feels like it takes forever.
In reality though the journey times from Moor St to Marylebone vs New St to Euston aren't much different, due to the slow slog through the suburbs of Birmingham!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On Chiltern, Standard Class seats are available right behind the loco, while those paying for First Class are deprived of the thrash at the back of the train.

Indeed, anything where the traction is at the "less premium end" ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I'd definitely say the scenery on the south WCML is far, far better, particularly the bit through the Chilterns. The windows aren't as big to enjoy it, though. The best type of unit to see it is a 350 if you've got the time (so if scenery is your thing, the least-premium option is best - Standard in a 350! :) )

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'd definitely say the scenery on the south WCML is far, far better, particularly the bit through the Chilterns. The windows aren't as big to enjoy it, though. The best type of unit to see it is a 350 if you've got the time (so if scenery is your thing, the least-premium option is best - Standard in a 350! :) )
Some might prefer a Voyager operated by Avanti, which are sometimes seen on EUS-BHM-Scotland services.
What I would choose probably depends on what mood I'm in, and also cost.

Of course, some others would claim that "prefer" and "Voyager" don't belong in the same sentence :s

samuelmorris

Established Member
Are we going backwards when it come to passenger comfort?
I think that's pretty much beyond debate. Increased regulation, both for PRM and for safety standards, has led to a marked decline in rolling stock, I'd argue since the early 2010s, but for express services people may argue much earlier.

For an example, I suppose you could argue Hull Trains 802s offering power in standard whereas LNER don't, despite being far cheaper for the same journeys - likewise GC 180s having more comfortable seats though to be honest, due to the feeling they may be about to self-destruct, I'm not honestly sure I'd rate them a superior experience than Azumas.

More local to me, I suppose you could argue that on a hot summer day, the TfL stopping service on an air-conditioned 345 (if indeed, one is operating the service) is preferable to a non-air-conditioned 321. Seating wise, however, not so much :D

Mikey C

Established Member
I think that's pretty much beyond debate. Increased regulation, both for PRM and for safety standards, has led to a marked decline in rolling stock, I'd argue since the early 2010s, but for express services people may argue much earlier.

For an example, I suppose you could argue Hull Trains 802s offering power in standard whereas LNER don't, despite being far cheaper for the same journeys - likewise GC 180s having more comfortable seats though to be honest, due to the feeling they may be about to self-destruct, I'm not honestly sure I'd rate them a superior experience than Azumas.

More local to me, I suppose you could argue that on a hot summer day, the TfL stopping service on an air-conditioned 345 (if indeed, one is operating the service) is preferable to a non-air-conditioned 321. Seating wise, however, not so much :D
The original seats on the 319s and 321s are to me uncomfortably low on the floor, and the backrest too low to be of much use to rest my head, so in comparison the transverse seats on the 345 compare reasonably well!

samuelmorris

Established Member
You haven't tried a 195 yet I take it? ;)
Not a 195, but I have tried a 331. I found it like sitting on a leather couch compared to a 345 to be honest. A leather couch in a factory plant room from all the excessive noise made by the compressor and A/C, but nonetheless, far more comfortable.

andythebrave

To the best of my knowledge, Grand Central’s AP tickets are less expensive than LNER’s between York/Doncaster and Kings Cross and I’d take an Adelante any day over an Azuma.
Crikey, I've not been on an Azuma but they must be truly awful if they're not as good as that glorified bus known as an Adelante.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Crikey, I've not been on an Azuma but they must be truly awful if they're not as good as that glorified bus known as an Adelante.
Oh, they're not even close to an Adelante in terms of passenger comfort. Though, I actually found the Adelantes pretty comfortable, if noisy inside.

jfisher21

Over in Vienna, you can travel from the airport to the city centre on a CAT (City Airport Train) for €12 single in 16-17 minutes, or on an ÖBB Railjet for about €4 (I'm sure it was under €4 last time I was there, actually!) in … 15-16 minutes. Different destinations in the city centre, admittedly, but Wien Mitte and Wien Hbf aren't exactly miles apart :D

Yes I was caught out by this when over there! Did not know the fast train to hbf existed!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The "green" Swedes charge you 120 Krone (about £10.50) on top of the fare just to use the airport railway station at Arlanda. There is no charge if you arrive by car or bus!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Yes I was caught out by this when over there! Did not know the fast train to hbf existed!

The selling point of the CAT is the ability to check one's luggage in at Wien Mitte for a number of airlines, as well as a compensation/rebooking policy if a delay in excess of 30 minutes causes you to miss your flight. Of course in arriving at Wien rather than departing, these don't apply.

route101

Established Member
Often on the Northern WCML Avanti Only tickets are cheaper than TPE only tickets, despite Avanti offering a fuller service (shop, full at-seat first-class service) with TPE offering a lesser service (Trolley and no full catering service in first class)

Never tried TPE first class! If train is busy and its not too much more i suppose i would.

Status
Not open for further replies.