• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - contrasting stations with similar CRS codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodiddly

Another to throw in the mix is Achnasheen (ACN) and Achnashellach (ACH) which are stations directly after each other. Are there any more stations one after the other where you only change the last letter, or any letter in the code?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
Another to throw in the mix is Achnasheen (ACN) and Achnashellach (ACH) which are stations directly after each other. Are there any more stations one after the other where you only change the last letter, or any letter in the code?
That's a cracker, one letter change, consecutive stations and codes that could be the other way round. I don't think anyone will beat that one.

Peter C

Established Member
The three Worcester stations maybe?
WOP (Worcestershire Parkway)
WOS (Worcester Shrub Hill)
WOF (Worcester Foregate Street)

-Peter

kkong

INR - Inverurie
INS = Insch

krus_aragon

Established Member
There's a few on the Heart of Wales: Llandeilo and Llangadog (LLL, LLG) or Pontarddulais and Pantyffynon (PTD, PTF).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Hertford East HFE
Hertford North HFN
Hartford HTF
Hereford HFD

I think they did their best with these codes.
There are too many places with the same/similar name, or which are pronounced the same.
Maybe it's a good job Newcastle* doesn't have a station these days.
*Under Lyme/Staffs ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The pair that used to catch me out was CMN (Carmarthen) and CNM (Cheltenham Spa). So easy to mis-type either in a hurry!

A favourite for contrasting stations with similar codes is one I mis-type regularly when rushing:

HFD (Hereford) and HFS (Hatfield & Stainforth)

One day I'm going to end up accidentally looking up HFS-LED and wondering how on Earth the fare from HFD got so expensive all of a sudden :lol:

allotments

last week asked for ticket to Foxton sold ticket to Folkestone o_O

price was different to previous so I spotted the error immediately :lol:

next time I'll quote Foxton FXN which is quite different to Folkestone FKC or FKW

Strathclyder

Established Member
Quite a number of the bolded example on the Strathclyde network.

Drumry (DMY) & Drumchapel (DMC)

Dumbarton Central (DBC) & Dumbarton East (DBE)

Paisley Gilmour Street (PYG) & Paisley St. James (PYJ)

Hillington East (HLE) & Hillington West (HLW)

Ardrossan Town (ADN) & Ardrossan Harbour (ADS)

Hamilton West (HNW) & Hamilton Central (HNC)

Greenock West (GKW) & Greenock Central (GKC)

While not all of them are on the same line, there has no doubt been some confusion over the 4 Pollok stations over the years - Pollokshaws East (PWE), West (PWW), Pollokshields East (PLE) & West (PLW). In a more extreme example of this in terms of distance between the two stations in question - Barnhill (BNL) & Barrhill (BRL).

Lastly, in terms of overall similarities in their codes, Argyle Street (AGS) & Arisaig (ARG) jump out, especially when you consider the stark differences between them, namely their location, the area they serve and the frequency of services.

Status
Not open for further replies.