• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Level crossings with no pedestrian access while they're down

High Dyke

Established Member
As many have already posted numerous examples, I'm reminded of Newark Castle and an incident involving passengers. It was on the Saturday of Lincoln Christmas Market. Services had been strengthened, including using a 5-car Meridian on stopping services.

Knowing the unit would foul the level crossing whilst undertaking station duties, I held off as long as possible before lowering the barriers and signalling the train in. However, the barriers were closed for about 3 minutes. A couple of ladies were unimpressed to miss the train, being trapped on the wrong side. They utilised the help point. The TOC advice was to blame the ladies for not arriving soon enough for the train. Totally unhelpful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
I feel like this is going to be a  very long thread but I'll put in my contributions anyway

Notts to Lincoln and the Marston Vale have a few each
yes. Lowdham.
Bingham LC too but its not at the station.

bradleyd

South Wales, but from the flat Southlands of lincs
Another example (in High Dykes neck of the woods), Metheringham, on the Peterborough/Sleaford to Lincoln line, the Car park is on the Lincoln bound side. Whenever I'm back in the shire, I always get to meg from the Billinghay direction (so on the Sleaford bound side of the tracks), and my lift always makes sure am at least 10 mins early because otherwise there always seems to be a freight train PBO bound just long enough before the Lincoln bound passenger train that it's got completely through the level crossing, but not enough time before for the gates to rise for a bit

North Camp
Technically North Camp has an adjacent road bridge, but it appears (I've never actually used it) that the pedestrian access to it involves so much of a diversion that if the barriers have gone down for your train it's likely to be too late to divert via the bridge. (Has anyone tried it?). Maybe it would be useful if the barriers went down early for a train going the other way.

I was pleased to see when there the other day that with a nominal 4-minute gap between trains in each direction, actually nearer 3 minutes as the first train was slightly late, the barriers were raised between the two trains.

swr455

Technically North Camp has an adjacent road bridge, but it appears (I've never actually used it) that the pedestrian access to it involves so much of a diversion that if the barriers have gone down for your train it's likely to be too late to divert via the bridge. (Has anyone tried it?). Maybe it would be useful if the barriers went down early for a train going the other way.

I was pleased to see when there the other day that with a nominal 4-minute gap between trains in each direction, actually nearer 3 minutes as the first train was slightly late, the barriers were raised between the two trains.
I have in fact tried it when coming from the west running late for a guildford bound train. I did make the train with a bit of margin (and out of breath) but to the embarrassment of teenage me the barriers went back up just as i got there, the train now stopped on the other side of the crossing!

SouthernR

Bare Lane on the Morecambe branch. The 2 lines are bi-directional, so passengers need to be aware which platform is used before their train arrives. This depends on whether the Heysham spur is likely to be used.

izvor

I have in fact tried it when coming from the west running late for a guildford bound train. I did make the train with a bit of margin (and out of breath) but to the embarrassment of teenage me the barriers went back up just as i got there, the train now stopped on the other side of the crossing!
Nice one. Yes don't bother with the road bridge at North Camp! Annoying when trains are crossing and you see yours go over from the wrong side, but (as suggested above) whoever controls the gates – human or automaton – is pretty efficient at raising the barriers and a couple of times I've managed to reach the rear door of the train I needed before the doors closed. Regular guards may look out for this too, if so, thanks guys/gals!

KT550

Dean, Wiltshire is another.
Luckily the barriers were raised before the train departed.

WesternBiker

Nice one. Yes don't bother with the road bridge at North Camp! Annoying when trains are crossing and you see yours go over from the wrong side, but (as suggested above) whoever controls the gates – human or automaton – is pretty efficient at raising the barriers and a couple of times I've managed to reach the rear door of the train I needed before the doors closed. Regular guards may look out for this too, if so, thanks guys/gals!
I use North Camp regularly and always remember to get there well before the train arrives: although the barriers rise promptly after the train leaves, they can be lowered 5 minutes before departure. And it's a pain if the ticket machine (one on each platform) is out of order. As swr455 found, the route via the bridge is over 300m.

DunsBus

Established Member
Ash was mentioned upthread. A road bridge is currently under construction to replace the level crossing there, and a footbridge is also planned.

I use North Camp regularly and always remember to get there well before the train arrives: although the barriers rise promptly after the train leaves, they can be lowered 5 minutes before departure. And it's a pain if the ticket machine (one on each platform) is out of order. As swr455 found, the route via the bridge is over 300m.
Am I correct in thinking that the reason for the North Camp level crossing is to save money on building a footbridge?

WesternBiker

Ash was mentioned upthread. A road bridge is currently under construction to replace the level crossing there, and a footbridge is also planned.

Am I correct in thinking that the reason for the North Camp level crossing is to save money on building a footbridge?
The level crossing has always been there - it is the route of the original road to Ash and Mytchett, before the current road bridge was built to avoid the crossing (and which links up with the A331 Blackwater Valley relief road).

Vehicles can still use the old road via the level crossing if they wish to - mostly useful for those picking people up at the station, or accessing the Old Ford pub and the dental surgery (which occupies most of the station building). Both pub and dentist are on the west side of the station (i.e. the Reading-bound side).

A bridge is in the throes of being built at Farnborough North, to replace the pedestrian crossing, which was the topic of a RAIB accident report in 2022.

JBuchananGB

Not at stations, but in Southport, Portland Street, Duke street and Aughton Road. Pedestrians have to wait 8 times an hour.

DunsBus

Established Member
The level crossing has always been there - it is the route of the original road to Ash and Mytchett, before the current road bridge was built to avoid the crossing (and which links up with the A331 Blackwater Valley relief road).

Vehicles can still use the old road via the level crossing if they wish to - mostly useful for those picking people up at the station, or accessing the Old Ford pub and the dental surgery (which occupies most of the station building). Both pub and dentist are on the west side of the station (i.e. the Reading-bound side).

A bridge is in the throes of being built at Farnborough North, to replace the pedestrian crossing, which was the topic of a RAIB accident report in 2022.
Ah, thanks. :) I'm very familiar with that area as I've relations who live in the nearby Avondale estate (conveniently placed for both North Camp and Ash Vale!) and did wonder about the historical background of the North Camp level crossing. Much appreciated.

Kirknewton and Kingsknowe.
Both are a big issue during problems.
I used to do faulting/maintenance for both of them (I’ve since moved area, but still have 4 crossings on my new patch) and it’s a long way round for pedestrians in a failure situation.
For Kirknewton you essentially have to walk to the other end of the village, over a footbridge, then down a country lane on to the A71, then back up the hill, probably an hours walk for the able bodied. Not to mention that the bus doesn’t serve the village when the barriers are failed (Though, I have investigated at least two occasions where the bus was the cause of the failure).
At Kingsknowe, it’s a walk along the canal to where it goes under the railway, Still easily a 20 minute walk from one platform to the other for the able bodied.

You take a fair bit of abuse from some of the public, but more often than not it’s more from folk in cars that can easily just drive round.

FenMan

Established Member
There are a number across the North Downs,
Betchworth, Chilworth, Ash and North Camp.

Ash is a particular annoyance, as it is an interchange station for journeys such as Reading, Wokingham or Blackwater to Aldershot, Farnham or Alton.*

The, advertised, tight change is made impossible if one of the trains is a couple of minutes late, leaving passengers to kick their heels for 30 or 60 minutes at one of Surrey's less desirable locations.

*Yes, interchanges can also be made by walking between North Camp and Ash Vale, but not everyone can or wants to walk over half a mile, particularly in bad weather.

Unfortunately the grand plan, that is in progress, to build a bridge a few 100 yards away from the station to take road traffic over the railway only helps drivers. It doesn't improve the position for rail passengers, as there will continue to be a foot crossing and no pedestrian bridge at the station. And there is no approved funding in place to sort out this issue once and for all.

DunsBus

Established Member
Ash is a particular annoyance, as it is an interchange station for journeys such as Reading, Wokingham or Blackwater to Aldershot, Farnham or Alton.*

The, advertised, tight change is made impossible if one of the trains is a couple of minutes late, leaving passengers to kick their heels for 30 or 60 minutes at one of Surrey's less desirable locations.

*Yes, interchanges can also be made by walking between North Camp and Ash Vale, but not everyone can or wants to walk over half a mile, particularly in bad weather.

Unfortunately the grand plan, that is in progress, to build a bridge a few 100 yards away from the station to take road traffic over the railway only helps drivers. It doesn't improve the position for rail passengers, as there will continue to be a foot crossing and no pedestrian bridge at the station. And there is no approved funding in place to sort out this issue once and for all.
The problem at Ash Vale is also compounded by there being no lifts there. Like the Ash level crossing, there is no approved funding in place to solve the issue.

D6130

Established Member
Did there not used to be a footbridge at Ash? I'm sure I remember changing trains there back in the day and crossing a bridge.

mike57

Established Member
Seamer, when a train is in the Scarborough bound platform there is no access to the island plaform, admittedly a passenger gate that is interlocked with signals, but can still be a problem during disruption.