• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] What station is highest from local ground level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RH Liner

Long since closed and demolished, but Mansfield Central was pretty high up from street level, and had lightweight wooden platforms for stability.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
Some of the stations on the wimbledon loop are quite high up, wimbledon chase especially.

Was thinking sugar loaf but it says highest not lower

Nymanic

Not a UK one - plus it closed in 2018 - but the secluded Uzui station in western Japan might be worth an honourable mention.

Examples of stations still in use include Chikuzen-Yamate in Kyushu.

Metrolink has a handful of examples, including Cornbrook, Pomona and Freehold.

telstarbox

Established Member
The approach road itself is elevated and slopes up and away from the 'real' ground level of Tooley and St Thomas St. It's built on top of a combination of dirt mounts and railway arches. The real road vs platform level on the 'through' side of the station can be seen from Tooley St and is quite considerable, over two storeys (there's a two storey building under platform 10-15 which are considerably lower).
That makes sense as Borough High Street and Tooley Street both slope up to reach the Bridge itself but I'm still getting my head round the levels in the "new" station.

The old ramps from the through platforms were so claustrophobic that maybe it felt closer to the ground?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That makes sense as Borough High Street and Tooley Street both slope up to reach the Bridge itself but I'm still getting my head round the levels in the "new" station.

The old ramps from the through platforms were so claustrophobic that maybe it felt closer to the ground?

The new platforms are all at exactly the same level as the old (within a few centimetres). Don’t forget that those old ramps took you down to a level that was still a long, long way above street level.

ijmad

Established Member
I guess it would be an interesting run into Cannon Street otherwise :) What was at street level where the big concourse is now - Leon etc?

Before the rebuild it was all railway arches of various designs (built in different eras as the station has expanded). Many of them were empty or used as storage for Network Rail, but there was also a telephone exchange, wiring rooms for signalling, a large 'artsy' nightclub called Shunt (some photos), and a gym. Not to mention Stainer Street which was a road that cut underneath the platforms, similar to Bermondsey Street.

The new platforms are all at exactly the same level as the old (within a few centimetres). Don’t forget that those old ramps took you down to a level that was still a long, long way above street level.

Yeah. the ramps still exist (with substantial modifications, some are now stairs) as part of the fire escape routes for the new platforms. They did (and still do) bring you down to the same level as the Cottons Centre footbridge over Tooley Street. For those who remember London Bridge after the redesign, after reaching the bottom of the ramps you could go right over the footbridge, left out to the bus station (which is at a similar elevated level) or forwards down some escalators which brought you down to Joiner Street / Tooley Street. Those escalators still exist although they have been closed since before the pandemic for refurbishment - I imagine that given they receive very little footfall after the rebuild, sorting them out is not considered a priority, especially at the moment.

The route is still useful as a way from the bus station to the tube although you can also go through the Shard Arcade.

The Cottons Centre footbridge is going to be demolished at some point soon.

Last edited:

rower40

My local station Willington is 38 steps (no lifts) from ground level up to the platforms. Not enough to require oxygen, but as I come from the fens originally, it's enough to make me swallow to pop my ears.

peters

On Moderation
I don't think there can be a clear cut answer. Manchester Piccadilly doesn't seem a long way up from street level if you approach from one side but if you approach from the other side then it's almost like going up to the second floor of a building for trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.