• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube Challenge record broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractakid

The Guinness World Record website has been with updated with a brand new record! Record holder once before in 2004 (on the previous configuration)- Geoff Marshall and first time record breaker Anthony Smith have beaten the old time belonging to Andi James and Steve Wilson of 16:29:13 with a new time of 16:20:27. Start was Chalfont and Latimer, finish was Heathrow Terminal 5.

Media reports apparently coming on Monday.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...-to-travel-to-all-london-underground-stations

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
If Geoff Marshal is the same person who tried this challenge which was shown one one the episodes of the tube (Sky version) then congratulations.

I remember them coming so close on that occasion missing out by a couple of minutes I believe

sonic2009

Established Member
Well done, I'm thinking about doing an attempt but not until early 2014. I plan to start planning very soon, althought i don't expect to beat any times.

spinba11

If Geoff Marshal is the same person who tried this challenge which was shown one one the episodes of the tube (Sky version) then congratulations.

I remember them coming so close on that occasion missing out by a couple of minutes I believe
It is the same person.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
If I ever broke this recently record (which is unlikely) I would be reluctant to allow my name to be associated with the neo-facist manufacturers of crap beer...

geofftech

hello all, that would be me - yes yes! we're getting together all our photos/info and we should hopefully have little splash in the press come Monday after the weekend. thanks all!

tractakid

Indeed- this was how I (and quite a few others) first heard about the pursuit.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
hello all, that would be me - yes yes! we're getting together all our photos/info and we should hopefully have little splash in the press come Monday after the weekend. thanks all!

Congratulations, good effort!

Muzer

Established Member
Chalfont & Latimer start... sounds like a pretty crazy route to me, did you run between Amersham and Chesham? o_O

tbtc

Veteran Member

Well played - never done it before but have spent some time daydreaming about how to!

Congratulations

crispy1978

Congratulations!!

It's one of those things I'd love to try - or at least plan - but whether I'll ever get round to it is the question!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24203949

The record for visiting all 270 London Underground stations in the quickest-possible time has been broken by eight minutes.

Geoff Marshall, 41, from Ealing, west London, and Anthony Smith, 28, completed the record in 16 hours, 20 minutes and 27 seconds.

It is the second time Mr Marshall has held the record, after a total of 25 attempts.

The freelance video producer said it took "more skill than people think".

"You have to get off one line and run to the other," Mr Marshall said.

"We run from Cockfosters to High Barnet so it's a combo of athleticism and the ability to decode a Tube timetable.

"People tar you with a trainspotter brush, but I've never written down a train number in my life."

The pair's attempt was completed on 16 August, but it took Guinness World Records more than a month to verify their record.

'Something always broke'
They were helped by a team of friends who warned them of possible obstacles ahead.

The pair, who finished at Heathrow Terminal 5 Tube station, said they only beat their previous times as there had been no problems on the Tube network that day.

Mr Marshall said: "Something always broke or went wrong, I love the Tube and the underground but it does break down."

The pair, who will not reveal their exact record-breaking route, said the secret to their success involved starting from the outside of the Tube map and travelling into central London.

"It's like the wheels of a bicycle spoke - you start on the outside and then go back into London, everything comes into the middle," Mr Marshall said.

In 2004 Mr Marshall and Neil Blake held the record with a time of 18 hours, 35 minutes and 43 seconds.

Guinness World Records confirmed that the pair had beaten the previous record of 16 hours, 29 minutes and 13 seconds, held by Andy James and Steve Wilson from May 2011.

duncanp

Established Member
In one of the videos on the BBC website, the record holder recommends taking some Immodium tablets with you.

I suppose eating and drinking can be done easily enough on the go, but it must be a little awkward if you have to make a choice between going to the loo and catching that train that you need in order to keep you on schedule.

Having a list of LUL stations with functioning toilets on them (or nearby) must be part of the planning process.

tractakid

Well, my most recent attempt (a time of 17:18:18), I was bursting for the loo for the last few hours but had no time to stop anywhere! Thankfully at Heathrow Terminal 5 (the finish), there are loos open at that time of the night from the platform! Best wee I ever had. lol

causton

Established Member
In one of the videos on the BBC website, the record holder recommends taking some Immodium tablets with you.

I suppose eating and drinking can be done easily enough on the go, but it must be a little awkward if you have to make a choice between going to the loo and catching that train that you need in order to keep you on schedule.

Having a list of LUL stations with functioning toilets on them (or nearby) must be part of the planning process.

On one of the videos/posts Geoff has made about previous challenges he says drinks bottles come in handy for those sorts of things ;)

duncanp

Established Member
I suppose having a dodgy vindaloo and five pints of lager the night before is not a good idea either!!

Status
Not open for further replies.