• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyndrum (Upper and Lower)

tspaul26

Established Member
I looked at a contemporary map and you crossed into Dunbarton a short way south and into Argyll a short way west, while to the north there is nothing, so I presume that pupils from Crianlarich and Tyndrum would have weekly boarded.
Yes, and some from Killin.
I presume that the school day was arranged to allow them to arrive on the 06.05 Oban, at least on Monday.
Yes. The school timetable still reflects that with a later start to the day than most other schools.

Of course, when the railway was operating then the school was somewhat closer to the station as well (circa 5mins walk).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Essan

Tyndrum has a population of just 167 (per Google)

The majority of people using either station will be tourists/hillwalkers. The upper station is also useful for those on the West Highland Way.

Railsigns

Established Member
Incidentally, the passenger statistics show that usage of the stations is roughly equal - 4,000+ each pa.
Are those figures reliable, or just the result of ticket sales to or from "Tyndrum stations" being apportioned equally to the two stations?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Most notably, the West Highland Way, which has become extremely popular in recent years, passes through Tyndrum on its way from Milngavie to Fort William.
And, in particular, the Upper station is on the line to Bridge of Orchy and Fort William. If for any reason you need to get from Tyndrum to further north, you really don't want to have to double back via Crianlarich, especially given the infrequent services on both lines.

Moreover, as others hhave manetioned, the Upper statoin is a passing place and RETB block post, so trains have to stop there anyway. Some statoins on the West Highland only exist because a passing loop was needed there - Rannoch and Corrour for example.

SteveM70

Established Member
And, in particular, the Upper station is on the line to Bridge of Orchy and Fort William. If for any reason you need to get from Tyndrum to further north, you really don't want to have to double back via Crianlarich, especially given the infrequent services on both lines.

Yes, I thought that too, and the same would apply going to/from Oban if Lower closed and Upper survived

JamieL

Indeed. I suppose the question is whether there is much traffic going in that direction?

matchmaker

Established Member
My well-thumbed 1978 rail atlas shows Upper as a passing loop, but not Lower. I think the loop at Lower went fairly early; Railscot says 1969.

Until the end of 1965 the trains to Oban came via Callender, with only a few excursions using the connection.
Lower is in the 1969 Sectional Appendix, but I have marked it as closed. It was certainly gone when I signal box bashed the line in the early 1970s.

Tyndrum is just outside the catchment area for Oban High School, as well as being in a different council area.
Pupils go to the MacLaren High School in Callander.

Gloster

Established Member
Lower is in the 1969 Sectional Appendix, but I have marked it as closed. It was certainly gone when I signal box bashed the line in the early 1970s.

.oban-line.info gives the closure date as Sunday, 12 October 1969; it seems that up until then the box had to be open for all trains.

JamieL

Are those figures reliable, or just the result of ticket sales to or from "Tyndrum stations" being apportioned equally to the two stations?
I was wondering this as well. It seems odd that Upper Tyndrum is as well used as the Lower station. The latter has accessible access, is directly adjacent to the West Highland Way and crucially doesn't require an uphill hike! In contract Upper Tyndrum is uphill on a road that leads nowhere else. The only conceivable passengers are northbound travellers from Tyndrum itself and Caledonian Sleeper passengers. Everyone else is better served by Tyndrum Lower.

I am guessing the main reason it has remained is for the passing place and RETB block post as commented above. It just seems odd that the maintenance costs of the station are unlikely to be met by the passenger traffic. Perhaps the station building is listed (it is Swiss chalet type) which might complicated abandonment.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
N
Indeed. I suppose the question is whether there is much traffic going in that direction?
There's very little local traffic on the whole West Highland Line north of Crianlarich.in my experience. From Tyndrum to Fort William is about an hour to drive 1hr20 by City link and nearly 2 hours by train, 5 times a day. It's primarily a tourist line.
I've been waiting in the Anchor at Garelochead for a delayed Caledonian Sleeper before and one of the locals has volunteered to give me a lift up the hill because the last time he caught a train trip was 50 years ago on a school trip to Glasgow and he'd never seen the London Sleeper.