• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using railcard discounted ticket with different railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

petter2

Hi,
I got a ticket with a 16-25 railcard discount, but got a disabled railcard - the price would be the same, but will the ticket be accepted or is it possible to change the ticket for free?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Whereabouts are you based?

Have you contacted the train company yet? (Twitter, phone, live chat)

If you live near an East Coast ticket office, there's a fair chance they'll be able to regularise your tickets at no cost. Failing that, they're normally willing to excess the discount away at a cost.

Additionally, common sense is applied more often by certain train companies than others. Asking a Scotrail guard before boarding, for example, might not be an issue. Travelling on Northern without the right ticket is virtually asking to be slapped with an £80 bill or prosecution.

Did you buy it online? Transpennine Express were happy to refund me wrong-railcard tickets (Advances for VT, no less!) on the condition I bought the correct-railcard tickets through their website. Contacting customer services is definitely worth trying.

But if the ticket only costs a few quid I personally wouldn't bother; I'd just buy a new one.

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
I've had the wrong railcard type on my ticket so many times by booking offices and its never been a problem on production of my valid railcard. Advice to OP: Ask booking office to endorse the back of the ticket before travel. Show them tickets and railcard. Also, I notice disabled railcard holders get least bother.

gray1404

Established Member
It would be great if the OP could post details of the journey being made and the tickets held so we can give better advice.

Harbouring

Disabled railcard is the one with the least restrictions I believe so it's not like it's the other way round, I'm no expert though.

I did once buy a 16-25 ticket without thinking a few months after changing from a 16-25 to a disabled railcard, I bought it at a TVM but realised straight away and took it to the counter who swapped it. You do get so used to just adding the railcard without thinking after a while though

Status
Not open for further replies.