• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

V/Line Melbourne Loco Hauled: Remaining Services

jamesr

Hi all, I have seen reference to only 10 loco-hauled services remaining out of Melbourne daily.

I’m in Melbourne at the end of the month - would like to give one a go.

I cannot find any reference online to what specific services there are. Does anyone here have the info?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
Hi all, I have seen reference to only 10 loco-hauled services remaining out of Melbourne daily.

The five return weekday Warrnambool (267 kilometres from Melbourne Southern Cross trains (three each way on weekends) are locomotive hauled sets, in theory with a staffed buffet.

First class has been abolished but if you reserve a seat in car A, this will be an ACN car that has reversible and reclinable ex-first class aircraft-style seating (2+2 across).

The two daily return Swan Hill trains (345km from Melbourne Southern Cross) are also loco hauled:

A very limited (weekday only) number of peak period trains on the Geelong/Waurn Ponds line (which forms a c.80km section of the Warrnambool line) are loco hauled.

Provided you have time, I highly recommend a day trip to Port Fairy, using a V/Line road coach beyond Warrnambool.

An alternative is that on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays one can do a 'round trip' for A$10.60 return (!): Geelong by train (use an earlier Warrnambool line train if you wish), then road coach along The Great Ocean Road to Apollo Bay, change coaches with an 11 minute guaranteed connection - insufficient time to buy lunch - then a second road coach to Warrnambool, connect to train to Melbourne with buffet:

The Bendigo line as far as Eaglehawk (a Bendigo suburb) is worth doing as to Bendigo it was the original main line (built c.1860-1862) with some stations and many bridges of bluestone, such as Kyneton and Malmsbury laytter also has a wonderful viaduct but you can hardly see from trains).

You can use a myki smartcard as far as Eaglehawk and Waurn Ponds on the two lines respectively. No extra charge if already using it from Melbourne (apart from exceeding the two hour A$5.30 limit, when it ticks over to become a 'daily' fare):

If you travel to Warrnambool or along The Great Ocean Road you must have a V/Line paper ticket (also covers you for Melbourne's trains, trams and buses) so buy on the day,m or days before, at Southern Cross or Flinders St V/Line booking offices (Flinders St V/Line window, near corner Flinders and Swanston Streets, not open for as much of each day as the country and interstate terminal at SC).

Why not also do a day trip on the UK HST "similar" XPT from Melbourne to Albury, or even the small towns of either Culcairn or Henty? These loco hauled sets are 41 or so years old, and will be unfortunately replaced by 2026 (replacement contract is over budget, and late). NSW TrainLink operates these trains: depart Melbourne 0830 daily, arrive back at 1830 (if on time). First class and economy seating available:

Last edited:

jamesr

Thanks very much for your detailed response - much appreciated, thanks!

This trip includes a long weekend in Apollo Bay with friends, and the XPT journey down from Sydney, and I’ve been up to Bendigo and Kyneton couple of times previously, so I’ll take a look through the other options you’ve laid out.

Looking forward to getting down to Victoria again!

railfan99

Established Member
Looking forward to getting down to Victoria again!

While it's summer and so there's usually no main line steam trains, there are a couple of Steamrail tours that may be during your visit.

The Tait electric trains are great: as a lad, I travelled on them many times. The Sandringham line terminates in a beacside, pleasant upper middle class suburb:

Pakenhamtrain

Not many.

One H set is remaining on weekdays on the Geelong line. 0723 up Ex Geelong/1631 down ex Southern Cross.
N wise 1xVN still does a weekday Geelong train 0536 ex Waurn Ponds/1812 ex Southern Cross.
1xVN operates the morning up Bairnsdale and evening down Bairnsdale.

Outside of that:
All Warnambool trains and Swan Hill trains.

Greetlander

Pre-Covid did Bairnsdale-Melbourne and Melbourne-Albury loco hauled. I actually think apart from a trip to Lake Balaton in Hungary in the late 1990s it was the first time I'd gone loco hauled since the Trans-Pennine went over to DMUs. I understand the economics of using multiple units but there is something about loco hauled though. I am however a fan of the Vlocity sets.

Tester

I’m in Melbourne at the end of the month - would like to give one a go.

I cannot find any reference online to what specific services there are. Does anyone here have the info?

Thanks in advance!
The Vline journey planner will show you the actual train formation, complete with schematic seat maps with real time availability, even without booking.

Well worth a look.

I'm off on a $10.00 day return to Warrnambool on Monday.

railfan99

Established Member
The Vline journey planner will show you the actual train formation, complete with schematic seat maps with real time availability, even without booking.

Well worth a look.

I'm off on a $10.00 day return to Warrnambool on Monday.

Normally, Warrnambool trains have at least two unreserved cars ('coaches' in UK jargon) at the front when departing Southern Cross, Melbourne or the rear from the rural city end.

Tester

Normally, Warrnambool trains have at least two unreserved cars ('coaches' in UK jargon) at the front when departing Southern Cross, Melbourne or the rear from the rural city end.
I missed that subtlety - wasn't sure how many.

But the main thing is that it helps the OP be confident as to what is actually loco hauled.