• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria Line Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

D306

Established Member
It's starting on monday. The line will close at 10pm Mon-thurs each week untill late november, so it can try out the new trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
I understand the polystyrene blocks are being fitted so that clearances can be checked; if they show signs of wear, things are obviously a bit tight.

Not sure where clearances might be expected to be tight though. Can't imagine it would be the tunnels themselves (what would happen then - could hardly enlarge them or make the trains smaller *) but more likely platform edges etc.

* I suppose running them slower reduces the kinematic envelope as would suspension changes.

compsci

I believe that the 2009 stock is a little larger than the 1967 stock, as the Victoria was built with slightly larger tunnels, which are being used to provide a little more passenger space. As such there could be all sorts of unexpected things in the way.

paulo

The 09 stock is as you say a little larger than 67TS, the polystyrene has only been fitted to one car on the sides and the roof about 1" 1/2 in thickness the primary use of this is to check there are (as mentioned) no obstructions such as signaling equipment that have maybe not been added to existing tunnel drawings.

thomasgholmes

Could someone give me a pic of this stock please?
Oh i`ve found some pics google image search victoria line 2009 stock.
There is lots of images.

Daniel

Established Member
Dont need a photo permit on LUL as long as they're for personal use, no flash no tripods no obstructions and remain in public areas.

IIRC some of the 67TS will go to the Bakerloo line to help in the extention of the line to Watford Junction, otherwise it'd be a longer line with the same amount of trains.

Oh, and, by the way, in 2009 the 67TS wont suddenly dissapear from the Victoria line. The 09TS is being phased in over a couple of years.

Daniel

Established Member
Well, as I said, I don't think they're being scraped entirely. Anything that is scrapped, you could probably buy either by outbidding scrap merchants or buying it from the scrap company.

paulo

There are 9 Victoria units going to the Bakerloo line (as previously mentioned), the rest are to be taken to a storage area near Southend, though I should think 1 at least should go to the transport museum as they were the worlds first automatic trains. The 09s are will be phased in at a rate of about 1 every 6-8weeks.

westcoaster

Established Member
i read somewhere the two driving ends of the units are to go to the isle of wight to replace the 38 stock.

DavyCrocket

i read somewhere the two driving ends of the units are to go to the isle of wight to replace the 38 stock.

What you mean as a two, three or 4 car set?

They would need a fair bit of work such as moving compressors, fitting a new TBC/Deadmans/Control Handle unless they changed the working or the Vigilence button and the installation of heaters?

westcoaster

Established Member
as two car set, as for the work needing doing i dont know. i read it somewhere else, i know there would need to be power adjustments so it could run on third rail.

DavyCrocket

It would need changes so it could run on 3rd rail as opposed to 4 Rail.... this is far too technical for me!!!

The compressors, M/As, Motors would need to be moved, heaters installed, a new control handle fitted......

There are easier trains they could have! Such as the 73 Stock when that starts to be withdrawn in 2013 or 14 I think it is......

paulo

One driving motor has been preserved. Number 3016, which is stored at the Walthamstow Pump House Museum, has not been refurbished. The museum is closed at the moment for refurbishment but there are BR stocks there too. There is lots of speculation about which stock will replace the 38s but nothing is as yet confirmed.

rob s

Any place where i could buy them from?

Metronet are pretty short of cash at the moment.... shame they don't own them!

Wait a few years, then spend a lot of money on planning permission and transport! You have to get it from LU first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.