• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

We apologise for the station being shut ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Burning toast has caused fire alarms to go off in every office I've worked in, and almost weekly when I was in halls in University! You can hardly blame organisations for taking fire precautions seriously, especially in Kings Cross underground stations of all places.

Last edited:

NSEFAN

Established Member
At the shop I used to work in, the fire alarm was set off due to someone burning something in the microwave in the staff room. It should have been in for 2 mins, not 20 :roll: :lol:

Established Member
This reminds me of a chemistry teacher at my school, who was renound for setting off the fire alarm.
One time it happened, I think he had the best excuse for it ever, he had been melting wax. The reason? To melt it onto the soles of his shoes and put glass beads into it so he could moonwalk into his lab :lol:

WatcherZero

Established Member
There was a girl in my halls of residence (Irish, but I wont go there) who always cooked stuff in the microwave wrapped in tin foil. Ive not had any fire alarms go off at the various palces ive worked.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
no I meant the staff who set the alarms off when I said plonkers

Yes, sorry, I meant to add a bit about smoke alarms being hypersensitive, but the dog jumped on me and I hit submit by mistake! I realise it looks as though I was referring to your post, but I wasn't, honest!

Ivo

Established Member
Where I lived briefly after first arriving in Bath, we had an alarm so sensitive that movement could set it off sometimes. I was only there for two months, and it must have gone off 30 times in that period! On the night of the 23rd(?) of October, i went off about 15 times! And now I have it stuck in my head. Great. And it was just a long pulse, no ringing or anything.

I wonder if these staff members are aware of something that happened in the late 80s at that station.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I remember when I was at University someone managed to set off the fire alarm due to spraying hairspray or deoderant whilst standing under the sensor. Surprisingly that was the only time it went off during the whole year, beyond the one fire drill. The neighboring block though seemed to have theirs going off almost every week. Luckely we didn't have sensors in the kitchens, and there was a double door from the kitchen to the corridor (i.e one door, then a short passage, then another door), so smoke didn't get out. I remember one time looking into one of the other kitchens and seeing large flames coming from the top of the grill, before someone rushed in and delt with it. No idea what that was caused by.

Status
Not open for further replies.