• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wedgwood, Barlaston and Norton Bridge stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Does anyone know why Wedgwood, Barlaston and Norton Bridge stations didn't close in the Beeching era, especially as Trentham, between Stoke-on-Trent and Wedgwood, closed in 1964?

See also the thread on the future of these stations under speculative ideas at https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...rton-bridge-wedgwood-railway-stations.136159/

Barlaston - fair-sized village with the station well positioned.
Wedgwood - well placed for the Wedgwood works which would have employed thousands at the time.
Norton Bridge - no can't explain that one! :D

Richard P

I used to travel through these station regularly in the early 90's and all three stations were certainly well patronised at rush hour. Barlaston and Wedgwood lost their services at the time the west coast main line was upgraded and Pendolinos introduced with their 20 minute frequency plus half hourly Cross Country services leaving presumably no available paths for sllow local services (prior to this services to London from Manchester were only half hourly). They definitely had replacement bus services and may still do today but Norton Bridge was different. A colleague of mine used that station regularly, living close by so he could commute to Stafford. Again whilst the west coast main line was being upgraded the footbridge was removed and never replaced leading to the closure of the station by default. It wasn't originally supposed to close but the cost of a new footbridge was prohibitive when compared to the overall number of passengers using it

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It wasn't originally supposed to close but the cost of a new footbridge was prohibitive when compared to the overall number of passengers using it

It's not just the footbridge - the final nail in the coffin was the moving of the slow lines about a mile and a half to the west away from the village, making serving it essentially impossible.

Veteran Member
Barlaston - fair-sized village with the station well positioned.
Wedgwood - well placed for the Wedgwood works which would have employed thousands at the time.
Norton Bridge - no can't explain that one! :D
All 3 were served by the stoppers that also served Stone, which was too big to close. A classic case where there was only a marginal benefit to be obtained by closure...

RT4038

Established Member
Possibly the National Bus Company wouldn't provide a replacement service due to the low population and awkward location? That's what saved the Marston Vale.

Sorry, but that is not what happened on the Marston Vale line. The Traffic Commissioner refused to licence the replacement bus services applied for following a plague of cancellations in the area due to a severe staffing shortage.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Barlaston and Wedgwood lost their services at the time the west coast main line was upgraded and Pendolinos introduced with their 20 minute frequency plus half hourly Cross Country services leaving presumably no available paths for sllow local services (prior to this services to London from Manchester were only half hourly).

Not quite. The stations (plus Stone) lost their services in May 2003.

Manchester-Euston went half-hourly in September 2004, then 3tph in Dec 2008 (when Stone services were reinstated).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry, but that is not what happened on the Marston Vale line. The Traffic Commissioner refused to licence the replacement bus services applied for following a plague of cancellations in the area due to a severe staffing shortage.

Sorry, I wasn't aware it was the TC specifically that refused, but I didn't mean the "awkward" bit applied to the MV (LNR seem to manage to provide replacement buses often enough, pretty much daily at the moment) but rather that it just wasn't possible. Thanks for the clarification though.

RT4038

Established Member
Sorry, I wasn't aware it was the TC specifically that refused, but I didn't mean the "awkward" bit applied to the MV (LNR seem to manage to provide replacement buses often enough, pretty much daily at the moment) but rather that it just wasn't possible. Thanks for the clarification though.

At the risk of wandering off topic a bit, the replacement bus route was relatively straight forward, if circuitous. There already was a replacement route (165) in operation for the withdrawn Sunday service, which ran Bedford-Lidlington-Brogborough (the settlement served by Ridgmont Station)-Aspley Guise-Woburn Sands-Bow Brickhill-Fenny Stratford-Bletchley. [Stewartby was served by an extension of route 162 on that day]. The intention was to run the 165 daily, with a loop via Stewartby. Kempston Hardwick was deemed to be adequately served by other buses at Chimney Corner on the main Bedford-Ampthill Road and Millbrook Station (in the middle of nowhere), whose village was far better served by the 141 (Bedford-Ampthill-Woburn Sands-Aylesbury).
The basic timetable would take 3 buses, but peak time (particularly schoolchildren) would take 3 more. At the time of closure of the entire line, this would have been in addition to the additional bus from Bedford Depot for the Cambridge service (428). Manning such additional resources would have been well nigh impossible without substantial cuts to other services. I expect the Bus Company was just doing what it was told, and would not have been particularly aggrieved by the TC refusal, because of the severe staff shortage. Further attempts with closure in 1971 and 1973 met with the same result - by which time the bus company was also on its knees engineering wise, following the takeover of Luton Corporation Transport Dept.
Of course the 428 (replacing sparsely used trains, and paralleled on the main flows by existing bus routes) only lasted 3 years as a through service.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not quite. The stations (plus Stone) lost their services in May 2003.

Manchester-Euston went half-hourly in September 2004, then 3tph in Dec 2008 (when Stone services were reinstated).

Barlaston & Wedgwood each had station usage figures (entries + exits) of over 10,000 per year until they were closed. Even Norton Bridge had about 5,000. Not huge, but more than several other stations that are still open. I can only suggest that they were "sacrificed" for operational convenience, with their users being considered "irrelevant". And based on my occasional journeys, the timetable would easily have permitted trains to make one stop between Stone & Stoke.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Barlaston & Wedgwood each had station usage figures (entries + exits) of over 10,000 per year until they were closed. Even Norton Bridge had about 5,000. Not huge, but more than several other stations that are still open. I can only suggest that they were "sacrificed" for operational convenience, with their users being considered "irrelevant". And based on my occasional journeys, the timetable would easily have permitted trains to make one stop between Stone & Stoke.
I certainly used Wedgwood station to visit the factory museum and visitor centre in later days of open period as a 'proper' station, that was in Central Trains days IIRC. You walked in the back way via some factory buildings and got to the visitor centre via a route most would not use, where you suddenly came across a large car park with plenty of coaches worth of japanese and US tourists - as Wedgwood is firmly on the tourist trail from those countries - esp USA. Obviously a market lost to Central Trains!

I recall asking if there was a visitor centre discount if you arrived by train. The lady on the counter was hesitant but looked in a staff manual and found a discount for people who came with a Brit Rail pass / All Line Rover. There was either a % discount or free tea/coffee in the nice restaurant there. Whichever it was she applied it to our day returns from Stoke!

Last time I went to the factory (now diminished) about 3 or 4 years ago, using the rail replacement bus. I noticed that large areas of the site had been / were being demolished and a housing estate was under construction on the land. A station would be just what you might need for what would obviously be commuter homes - well commuting to somewhere anyway.

AY1975

Established Member
Possibly the National Bus Company wouldn't provide a replacement service due to the low population and awkward location? That's what saved the Marston Vale.

Is there (or has there ever been) a legal requirement to provide a replacement bus service whenever a line or station closes, at least if the area affected isn't already adequately served by buses?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is there (or has there ever been) a legal requirement to provide a replacement bus service whenever a line or station closes, at least if the area affected isn't already adequately served by buses?

Not now, but I believe it was part of the Beeching closures. If it wasn't a legal requirement it was one of procedure.

RT4038

Established Member

In short, no. There was/is no legal requirement, but in order to close a line or station agreement from the Minister of Transport was required, after the matter had been considered by the relevant Transport Users Consultative Committee (TUCC). Replacement bus services, if required, were covered as part of this consultation, as a mitigation against the hardships that may be caused by such closure. British Railways would have considered the alternative transport available in the districts affected, and the travel flows (and their size). It may well have been that existing Road Transport Services covered most needs, or an amendment to the routeing or timetables (say an extra trip or two) of existing services would suffice. In which case the Railways would negotiate a suitable fixed price for this extra provision. In many cases it was judged that an additional service was required, as the existing bus services did not cover the rail route adequately (possibly because there was insufficient traffic for both rail and road service), or because the displaced rail passengers were too numerous for the existing capacity available, or maybe a combination of both).
Again in this case, the Railways would negotiate with a local bus operator and pay a fixed sum for the provision of the service [unless the bus operator felt inclined to take on the service at its own risk]. These service alterations or introductions would form part of the case for closure, and would come under scrutiny from the TUCC, taking into account public comments both written and at any inquiry that may be held.
It must be noted that many of these railway services carried very little traffic, and it was obvious that any special replacement services would run at a massive loss. Obviously the Railways sought to keep their financial commitment at a minimum, and only the main flows were catered for. Initially the Railways had to pay any subsidy for a period of three years, but I believe they were relieved of this responsibility sometime during the 70s - the Government channelling such funding via the County Councils through their new Transport Co-ordinating role.
The Bus Companies were not always exactly keen for these replacement services to exist - often they ran in competition with parts of their own services - and came at a time of serious staff shortages, and capital for new bus shortages, in the bus industry. Often they resisted diverting existing services via Railhead Stations, or changing times to connect with remaining train services, as the inconvenience to the (majority) local passengers far outweighed any potential numbers of rail passengers. Apart from those replacing busier rail lines for which parallel bus services did not exist, most of the replacement services were assimilated into the surrounding bus networks, or disappeared completely, after the three funded years; which probably tells us something about how many passengers were using the trains!

Status
Not open for further replies.