• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Yorkshire Day Rover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
West Yorkshire Day Rover. Wednesday 1st March 2017.

A day out over the hill and into West Yorkshire, I drove up to Castleton and took the train to Rochdale as I wanted to photograph the underpass that has been re-opened. They have done an excellent job, part of the old steps what lead to the other large island platform have been preserved, along with some of the original iron work, while photographs have been tastefully placed on the walls depicting how the station use to be in its heyday. A new platform has also been built allowing for terminating trains from the south. It’s a far cry from the original Rochdale Station, but a good effort all the same.

I`d arranged to meet Rob, who was back in the UK for a week or so and he joined me on the train at Sowerby Bridge. We alighted at Bradford Interchange and walked through the City to Forster Square station, there we boarded a train to Shipley and later went down to Leeds. Returning from Leeds to the new station at Apperley Bridge, we did intend to visit the other new station at Kirkstall Force, but services are hourly and you couldn’t get a train from Apperley Bridge to Kirkstall Force despite it being the next station.

From Apperley Bridge we caught a train back to Shipley and found a lovely chip shop in the town for lunch. Returning to Shipley railway station we next took a train up the Baildon line and alighted at Guiseley for a connection back down to Leeds. From Leeds we caught the Knottingley train and waiting for its return to re-board it to Wakefield Kirkgate. I left Rob here as he caught a train into Huddersfield to catch a bus back to his daughters where he is staying between overseas trips. I caught the Grand Central class 180 to Halifax, changed there for a train to Rochdale and another change for a Castleton train to pick the car up and drive home, an enjoyable day out.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742679.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.