• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happens when you press the compressor speed up button whilst the train is in motion?

TeeEfDub

So from what I believe the compressor speed up increases engine rpms, used to build up air faster when a unit is taking a while to build up air.

But what would happen if you press it during motion?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WF4HA5HE

So from what I believe the compressor speed up increases engine rpms, used to build up air faster when a unit is taking a while to build up air.

But what would happen if you press it during motion?
If its turned on whiles in motion on a 15x class of unit the brakes will apply to the equivalent to full service braking and will hold the brake at full until the compressor speed up is switched off. I've heard numerous stories of train crew flicking the compressor speed up as on 158 for example by accident and bringing the train to a sudden stop as it's directly above the cab light switch. In the dark its an easy mistake to make.

TeeEfDub

If its turned on whiles in motion on a 15x class of unit the brakes will apply to the equivalent to full service braking and will hold the brake at full until the compressor speed up is switched off. I've heard numerous stories of train crew flicking the compressor speed up as on 158 for example by accident and bringing the train to a sudden stop as it's directly above the cab light switch. In the dark its an easy mistake to make.
Thank you for the thorough answer! I had an idea that it would probably bring on some sort of brake demand. I was confused however because on TS3 (on a class 150/2) when I tested it nothing happend, maybe it's a setting or maybe it's not as realistic.

1D53

Established Member
Doesn't sound realistic. On a 150 you'll be stopping very quickly!