• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What other lines should be added to the Underground map?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
I'm posting this having just finished the 1,000 piece Underground map jigsaw, which has A LOT of white blanks.

This map includes the Overground lines forming an "outer circle", plus Euston to Watford Jn, ELL to West Croydon, Crystal Palace and Gospel Oak - Barking. The latest version which I've seen on line adds Liverpool St to Chingford, Cheshunt and Enfield Town, Romford - Upminster (Overground) and also the Liverpool St to Shenfield section of Crossrail (Elizabeth Line) and Croydon trams.

There must be a limit to what can be added in terms of clarity. Is it intended to add the whole of the Elizabeth Line when it opens? Surely you can't extend the map to Reading, but if the criterion is based on TfL ownership or concession, then that would be logical. A TfL takeover of the Dartford lines is still a possibility. I suppose Harry Beck would still recognise his handiwork!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

Established Member
Crumbs, and Thameslink as well. So is that all National Rail lines on which Oyster is valid?

pdeaves

Established Member
I suppose Harry Beck would still recognise his handiwork!
Personally, I am not convinced. There is so much bunged into the diagram (not 'map', please!) that it loses a lot of the nice straight lines that were part of the original concept, twisting and turning all over the place. The diagram tries to give too much information such that where step-free access is available, it becomes ambiguous whether the station is an interchange (or not).

If all lines and other information are included, perhaps it is a good time to break away from the evolved diagram design and start again (it does not have to use 45deg diagonals for example if say a 60deg line would give a neater design).

geoffk

Established Member
Yes not a map of course. I expect a lot of travellers used to the central London routes are surprised by just how far it is to Cockfosters.

rebmcr

Established Member
Personally, I am not convinced. There is so much bunged into the diagram (not 'map', please!) that it loses a lot of the nice straight lines that were part of the original concept, twisting and turning all over the place. The diagram tries to give too much information such that where step-free access is available, it becomes ambiguous whether the station is an interchange (or not).

If all lines and other information are included, perhaps it is a good time to break away from the evolved diagram design and start again (it does not have to use 45deg diagonals for example if say a 60deg line would give a neater design).

You have described Project Mapping's design!

dvboy

Established Member
Thameslink is the obvious omission, any line which has a turn-up-and-go frequency of service for the most part of the week should be on there too.

Mikey C

Established Member
Both the central core of Thameslink and Finsbury Park to Moorgate have been in the map previously and SHOULD be there, but sadly TfL are only interesting in promotion their services, rather than providing something useful to the public, and especially visitors.

Ridiculous that Cheshunt and Shenfield are on the London "tube" map but not say City Thameslink or Essex Road

higthomas

Personally I think the "tube" map concept is outdated. I think a "central London rail map" for visitors etc extending out to about zone 3 and including all tube and rail services is more sensible. Leave Chesunt, Amersham etc. for the current "London Rail and Connections" map.

This would allow us to get back to a nice simple readable map for the 80% or map users who probably never leave zone 3 except to got to Heathrow.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Finsbury Pk - Moorgate? I'ts been in and out over the years in one guise or the other.
Both the central core of Thameslink and Finsbury Park to Moorgate have been in the map previously and SHOULD be there,
Kentish Town-Elephant/London Bridge/Moorgate was on the Tube map from June 1987, was removed along with Moorgate-Finsbury Park April 1999.

PTR 444

Established Member
Personally I think the "tube" map concept is outdated. I think a "central London rail map" for visitors etc extending out to about zone 3 and including all tube and rail services is more sensible. Leave Chesunt, Amersham etc. for the current "London Rail and Connections" map.

This would allow us to get back to a nice simple readable map for the 80% or map users who probably never leave zone 3 except to got to Heathrow.

Totally agree with this

It would make sense to have three separate maps: one aimed at tourists showing only tube and rail services in zones 1 and 2, one showing all tube and DLR services only, and one showing all rail services in the Greater London area (London Connections).

It does seem silly though that the Overground from Liverpool Street is shown while Thameslink and the Northern City Line are left out. It would be good for future revisions to include these even if they are not owned and operated by tfl, as they are more metro-like than a lot of routes shown on the current map.

Mikey C

Established Member
The design of the map east of London and the shape of the Thames shows some artistic license, with Woolwich and especially Erith shown a long way from the river, HS1 not following the LTS line to Purfleet, so it's too near the river and crossing too near Dartford as a result, but worst of all Barking Riverside is currently located MILES from the er river! Indeed once located by the river, the distance between Barking and Barking Riverside will be much too large

Status
Not open for further replies.