• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's happening with the Birmingham metro expansions as of right now?

Fazaar1889

The Birmingham tram consists of just one line and after a quick glance at Wikipedia, it seems that there are 2 expansions. The progress seems to be that "stuff's happening" and plans are here and there. Is there anything substantial happening as of right now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffield

Established Member
FWIW The satellite images on Google maps are up to date enough to show quite a lot of activity on the Brierley Hill line (at least on the bit from Dudley Port to Dudley town centre which I looked at).

route101

Established Member
I believe track is in place for Digbeth section but its still a long way from opening.

TheTallOne

I think the Digbeth bit is stuck - as the route goes through the high speed 2 construction site - e.g. the tram line can’t open until HS2 station is open (or at least nearly open)?

chris2

MarkWi72

It would be useful to also know what the plans are for the Eastside-NEC/Arden Cross extension. Street’s plans looked impressive 3 years ago, but little has happened aside from these extensions and I’m certain they’ll be replicated for his Mayoral Campaign; and we’ll be where are now are in 4 years from now.

stuu

Established Member
When they say 2026, does that imply that the entire station would be complete by 2026 (at the earliest) or specific parts of the site?
The 2026 date would be when they expect the viaduct structure to be complete so that works could happen underneath, they would still be building the station on the viaduct

P Binnersley

The Delta junction at Wednesbury for the Dudley/Merry Hill extension is going in over Easter.

Delta junction structure in Wednesbury entering final construction phase (Midland Metro)
As the project enters its final phase, preparations are underway for a crucial next step which will see the new track integrated with the existing operational line during the Easter period.

These essential activities will result in some disruption to West Midland Metro services with no operations between Wednesbury and Birmingham City Centre from Saturday 23 March until Tuesday 9 April 2024 (inclusive).

MarkWi72

At least that is moving forward. I'd be interested to see whatever else is planned elsewhere.

Chris 76

The Delta junction at Wednesbury for the Dudley/Merry Hill extension is going in over Easter.

Delta junction structure in Wednesbury entering final construction phase (Midland Metro)
I assume the answer is that the work for the Wednesbury delta junction restricts access to the tram depot, and that's why there will be no service between Wednesbury and through Birmingham City Centre to Edgbaston Village for more than two weeks. You wonder if a basic temporary service could be provided between, say, Jewellery Quarter and Edgbaston Village. Keep four trams at Edgbaston Village overnight, with appropriate security, and run a city centre shuttle, and extra 74 buses to bridge the gap. It's not a good look for the city centre to be tramless for so long, and many will assume there's a strike or a major technical failure.
Longer term metro expansion plans must include a second depot on the east side of Birmingham for service resilience and geographical spread of tram job opportunities.