• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which engines in the national collection would you like to see on the mainline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mista Merlin

Duchess of Hamilton looks splendid streamlined and is currently on display in the NRM York. I would love to see her on the main line and also I would love to see Evening Star returned (She is currently loaned out to a museum in Swindon). However we owe it to our herritage that MALLARD to be returned to steam. Some people at the NRM feel this could be achieved but she would have to basically have to be totally stripped down and rebuilt (kind of defeats the object really) the same as Flying Scotsman that is currently being rebuilt at York. You can help the Scotsman rebuild by donating here:-
http://www.flyingscotsman.org.uk/
Anybody donating £10 or more gets a personal certificate (if desired) so you get to see physically you have been partly involved in the restoration.
Mallard is in Shildon at the moment but hopefully will be returning to York sometime in the not too distant future. She is the centre piece at the NRM which, in York, is situated in a location central to the UK and she is the main reason NRM is the most visited museum outside of London. They won't be if she is away too long. Personally I would love to see her returned to steam more than any other locomotive as there are only 2 A4's now working... unless Bittern (also at York in a siding inaccessible from the NRM) has been repaired. She had been just sitting there some time. We must preserve our heritage and keep as many locos in steam as is possible. I have a 4 year old boy who is Steam mad. He doesn't care much for any other locomotives. He says they are dull and boring. He is quite right!!! To see a steam locomotive in steam is a really magnificent sight. I urge all of you to write to NRM and ask them to bring Mallard back to steam... and run (occasionally) on the main line. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
I think I saw somewhere that the streamlined Duchess is now out of guage for the main line. I would also like to see Mallard working, but with other A4's available, I suspect NRM may not let it loose until a very special event, such as 2038 - the 100th anniversary of its record run.

Others to dream about - all the steam locos which have no class members preserved elsewhere - including Rocket....

Bevan

At_traction

Not an engine, but the flatbed carrier with Crusader tank on it. To be pushed in front of the train with the MG primed for derailing chavs...

My avatar photo shows the other candidate. If it weren't a wreck, that is. But in these MTU'ed days one needs a dose of honestly gas-guzzling traction. The scream of turbines, thank you!

Chris125

Established Member
I think I saw somewhere that the streamlined Duchess is now out of guage for the main line.

Nope, the streamlined casing was re-designed to allow mainline running. This is confirmed by the way she was moved to York from Tyseley - by rail!

Chris

At_traction

...You want a warning sign to be main line certified?

Many of them are, on the lineside, right? Limited clearance and such. ;)

The sign of course is attached to the bogies of the APT-E proto at NRM's Locomotion branch museum. Don't know how they were active (unsecured?), but kept me from crawling into its innards...

WL113

If we could have any diesel from the National Collection, let it be Deltic. 50033 Glorious would be another candidate, but I would love to see (and hear) Deltic up and running one day, in the current livery and with the headlight.

Wasn't there a survey of Deltic undertaken some years ago? I seem to remember reading that the power units are incomplete and they are different to the engines in the production locos.

It would be a fine achievment to restore Deltic to running condition but is it actually possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.