• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is the tube network dry compared with the Paris metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ess

There always seems to be a lot of water and general grubbiness whenever I visit Paris. I don’t see this on the tube. What’s the difference?

Is there some great London tube drainage system or pumps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Different level of the water table, perhaps? Merseyrail is decidedly wet (and it causes all kinds of issues). If the pumps packed in I'd imagine there would be a lot of flooding.

John Webb

Established Member
Most tube lines are cut through the layer of London Clay as this was the easiest geological material for the tunnellers. Clay tends to resist water penetration ('puddled' clay was used for lining canals) so it may be that there is relatively limited water to seep into the tube tunnels.
The water table under London, I read some while ago, is actually rising as many fewer companies run their own artesian wells than formerly. I am uncertain what impact this might have on railway and tube tunnels.

Ralph Ayres

You've not been on the Met line lately I take it? The evening closures of a section of of the line are partly to improve drainage between Baker Street and Finchley Road, and the platform walls are dripping in many places, with buckets and absorbent sausages liberally scattered around Baker Street and Great Portland Street among others.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The classic Metro lines in Paris are relatively shallow so like the sub-surface lines in London are more at risk from water coming down from the surface. I think Paris is also on gravel rather than clay too.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The classic Metro lines in Paris are relatively shallow so like the sub-surface lines in London are more at risk from water coming down from the surface. I think Paris is also on gravel rather than clay too.
Don't know whether it's still the case, but if you travelled late at night on a classic Metro line you could see the rats massing at the tunnel entrances waiting for the passengers to leave so they could take over the station. Chatelet/Les Halles especially bad in this regard. That's another sign of the presence of dirty water.

TRAX

Established Member
Not necessarily/only dirty water, but also food, warmth, and shelter.

sharpley

Ruislip Manor often floods with heavy rain, with it being located in a dip in the road. The gateline had to be replaced after the flooding last year.
27952667962_f893f4e004_b.jpg

Mikey C

Established Member
"Why is the tube network dry compared with the Paris metro"

Am I the only person who immediately thought about the alcohol ban brought in by Boris as Mayor :E

Journeyman

Established Member
Don't know whether it's still the case, but if you travelled late at night on a classic Metro line you could see the rats massing at the tunnel entrances waiting for the passengers to leave so they could take over the station. Chatelet/Les Halles especially bad in this regard. That's another sign of the presence of dirty water.

When I worked on London Underground stations and was around at the time of the last trains, there was usually a massed army of mice waiting ready to colonise the stations. I was amazed at how consistent this was - they clearly know what's going on!

Ken H

On Moderation
When I worked on London Underground stations and was around at the time of the last trains, there was usually a massed army of mice waiting ready to colonise the stations. I was amazed at how consistent this was - they clearly know what's going on!

They dont wait. have often seen rodents in the suicide trench in the deep tubes during the day.

Journeyman

Established Member
They dont wait. have often seen rodents in the suicide trench in the deep tubes during the day.

I know. But they come up on to the platforms the second the last train leaves, and they seem to instinctively know which one it is.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I know. But they come up on to the platforms the second the last train leaves, and they seem to instinctively know which one it is.
Many animal species seem to have a built-in clock, cats and dogs amongst them, though only certain members may exhibit the results on a regular basis. I suspect human beings may have once displayed such characteristics too, but we have become too 'sophisticated' to take notice of them.

tom1649

The Waterloo & City Line AKA "The Drain" has to have pumps running all the time I believe.

i4n

"Why is the tube network dry compared with the Paris metro"

Am I the only person who immediately thought about the alcohol ban brought in by Boris as Mayor :E

Nope, that was my immediate thought as well

Status
Not open for further replies.