• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will you consider moving home due to the effects of Covid 19 (e.g. due to a change in work travel)?

Are you considering moving home as a result of Covid-19?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

philosopher

Established Member
Many are doing "the London experience" for a few years after graduation but fewer are staying. This trend will increase. Inner London's population may slowly decrease but that of Outer London and the South East will remain high.

Part of the attractiveness of the London experience was that London used to have quite a few vibrant areas, with a good mix of quirky shops, interesting cafes and a good mix of people from different backgrounds and incomes. Over the past 20 years, I think quite a few people have been priced out of Inner London. As a result it has become increasingly bland and corporate, filled with chain shops and restaurants, with only investors and those on high incomes such as city workers being able to afford property there.

If Inner London property prices become cheaper, then those of more moderate incomes may once again be able to afford property there. Inner London therefore may be able to regain some of its vibrancy and edginess that it has over the years lost. So its appeal to a lot of the young could come back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm considering moving next year, but I'm waiting to see how the government's plan for economic recovery goes first.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I'm considering moving next year, but I'm waiting to see how the government's plan for economic recovery goes first.

Possible stamp duty change announced this morning. Moving the starting point to £500k has been suggested by the Chancellor

DB

Pre HS2 I suspect the number of people who would do Manchester to London and back twice a week (even ignoring the outrageous Anytime fares) is relatively low I suspect (that'd in most cases give you a door to door of 2.5 to 3 hours unless you live right next to one of the stations served by Avanti) but HS2 will change that. I would, but I'm a railway enthusiast posting on a railway forum - most people are not and do not! :)

Dunno about Manchester, but there have for some time beeing a lot who do York-London - in many cases working two or three days in London and staying down there overnight in between.

MikeWM

Established Member
No, I'm happy where I am. Ely is a very nice place to be - decent facilities, well-connected by rail, and I can be in the countryside in 5 minutes walk from my house. For a place to have been stuck for months, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather have been.

(Don't all try to move here now though ;)

westv

Established Member
Dunno about Manchester, but there have for some time beeing a lot who do York-London - in many cases working two or three days in London and staying down there overnight in between.
I believe there were quite a few from all over Yorkshire who did up to five days a week prior to the "lockdown".

The Ham

Established Member
No, I'm happy where I am. Ely is a very nice place to be - decent facilities, well-connected by rail, and I can be in the countryside in 5 minutes walk from my house. For a place to have been stuck for months, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather have been.

I had similar thoughts about where I live so you don't need to worry about me moving to Ely.

It especially helped that the new houses nearby added a large SANG (public open space) alongside a rather nice little river. It was much quieter today, as I suspect a LOT of the south east have gone on "holiday" to the south west this week.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

The drier conditions alone compared with the West of England would be a factor in moving to that part of the country, however it's still wetter than most of Continental Europe and property could be cheaper in a large French or German city which would offer infinitely more for me than Ely and have flights to London for occasional office visits.

richw

Veteran Member
I already have. My partner and I decided to do lock down at her house together.
my rental lease on my own house was surrendered and keys returned on 30th June!
We now officially live together after lockdown gave us an unexpected trial 3 months.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
We are already in the process of moving (planned pre-virus) and I am not looking forward to my forthcoming daily commute as it is further away from London and involves taking the train (or two). Especially in the autumn with the leaf-fall season and then the winter with trees on the line etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.