• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wirral Line (Merseyrail) evening rush hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Could anyone tell me what time of day the Liverpool to Chester trains become six coach instead of three on weekdays?

Planning a journey to connect with the ATW 18.28 ex-Chester and would quite like a seat for the non-reservable M'rail leg. Don't want to hang around at Chester for ages though, so it's a tricky one.

Edited to add that I'll be joining the train at Moorfields, so if it fills up at Central it could be a bit of a crush by then!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
It's roughly around 1630 I think. Cannot seem to find any mention in the timetable.

plannerman

The trains pick up at Moorfields before Central. Even though Moorfields is the business district, I've never had a problem getting a seat there

prod_pep

Established Member
There are no afternoon peak 6 car trains on the Chester line. The only pair on the Wirral Line during the afternoon is used on the West Kirby line, departing Liverpool Central at 17.10/18.25.

Green Lane

Also mentioned on pages 15 & 17 of the current Merseytravel Wirral Line timetable are the 1618 and 1718 services from Moorfields to Ellesmere Port, also 6 car - subject to availability.

I'm guessing the 6-car trains to Chester were no longer deemed necessary after the daytime frequency increase to 15 minutes?

Incidentally there appears to be a mistake on page 25 of that timetable. "For Shrewsbury and Birmingham - change at Wrexham Central". I think they mean Wrexham General!

EDIT:- What I've been doing recently in the afternoon peaks (when out on saveaway daytrips) is to board the Ellesmere Port train at Moorfields and then take it to Hooton.

I then alight at Hooton, and if it's a nice afternoon/evening, it's quite a pleasant station to wait at.

I then board the next Chester service at Hooton, which (in the late afternoons, not the mornings) has usually emptied out a bit by then.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks again guys, seems like I'll have to take my chance then (or give Green Lane's suggestion a try :D). Someone who uses this service posts daily on Twitter and often mentions that the peak time train they are on is packed, hence my trying to work around it.

Think I might go early and spend a pleasant hour or so train spotting at Chester!

prod_pep

Established Member
Also mentioned on pages 15 & 17 of the current Merseytravel Wirral Line timetable are the 1618 and 1718 services from Moorfields to Ellesmere Port, also 6 car - subject to availability.

Although those two services are described in the timetables as 6 cars, in practice they never are. Just the West Kirby line in the evening peak, as I say, gets a single 6 car set. If you're looking for pairs, the Northern Line is the place to be, with a total of eight scheduled pairs in the evening rush.

trainophile

Established Member
Although those two services are described in the timetables as 6 cars, in practice they never are. Just the West Kirby line in the evening peak, as I say, gets a single 6 car set. If you're looking for pairs, the Northern Line is the place to be, with a total of eight scheduled pairs in the evening rush.

That's why I assumed (erroneously it seems) that the Wirral Line would have similar arrangements, as I'm used to the 1545-1615(ish) couplings taking place daily at Southport station.

Seems odd that they do (according to this poster on Twitter) send six coach units for the morning rush hour, but not for the evening one. I suppose people's commuting times are more likely to be staggered by then.

D1009

Established Member
I grew up in Wallasey and moved away from there in 1971 when the massive changes to the Merseyrail system started to happen. Before the loop opened, the Wirral line ran from what is now the Northern Line station at Liverpool Central. The service pattern during the peaks was 6 tph to New Brighton, 6 tph to West Kirby and 12 tph to Rock Ferry, a total of 24 tph. I am open to correction on this, but it may well have been the most intensive heavy rail service in the country outside London. All were formed with 6 car class 503 trains, and were usually full and standing. Nowadays there are 16 tph formed 3 cars. With all the development and new stations that have gone on since then, and having the advantage of the loop, I find it strange that today's offering is so sparse by comparison. However the other big thing that happened in 1971 was the opening of the Kingsway road tunnel.

Green Lane

Thanks for the further info. All Ellesmere Port trains I have recently used in the afternoon peaks have indeed been 3 car, although I can't remember the exact times, but this does seem correct. They just need to amend the timetable accordingly now! Although to be fair it does say "subject to availability". :D

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I find it strange that today's offering is so sparse by comparison. However the other big thing that happened in 1971 was the opening of the Kingsway road tunnel.

Yes it's an interesting comparison. Born in '73, I'm a bit too young to remember the set-up before the loop line, although I well remember riding on the class 503 trains, and having to change at Rock Ferry.

Other factors in the reduction of services may be that you can now get direct buses from most parts of the Wirral to Liverpool. (This wasn't possible prior to the 1986 deregulation). As it happens I almost always get the bus to work in Liverpool, as when time is of the essence, it's handy in that I live nearer to the bus stop than the station!

Also, there had been a general population decline in Merseyside throughout the '70s and '80s.

Of course as you say the opening of the Kingsway tunnel and no doubt car usage has continued to increase during the last four decades.

Having said all that, Merseyrail trains have in practice seemed to be getting a bit busier again over the last few recent years. Not sure what the stats actually say though. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.