• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would You Go to Paris for a Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
Would anyone take a day trip to Paris if they got one of the £30-£50 fares?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trickyvegas

I've done it Brussels - Cheap Ryanair flight into Charleroi then train back to London

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've done it many times but I'm a bit too old for the all nighters at St Pancras that make it worth doing on a day trip now, so these days I tend to do stayovers of a few days. The downside is that means fewer trips a year.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What, Paris? It is a bit, but then so is London. At the moment the exchange rate makes anywhere in the Eurozone a bit pricey.

I'm not its biggest fan (it's dirty and crime-ridden) but a cheapo day trip wouldn't go totally amiss. As I say I do prefer Brussels though.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I had a reasonable day trip to Paris the day they moved over to St Pancras, at whatever the ruling bargain price was. Booked way in advance to get the fare. I think we had 6 hours in Paris.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My wife, son and I did a day trip from Cambridge via Eurostar back in January so she could go see a matinée of a show at Theatre du Châtalet (and son and I went gricing).

With some prior planning, perfectly posdible to have a good day out (but you probably need to live not much more than an hour from St Pancras to be feasible)

nlogax

Established Member
Absolutely. I managed the Three Capitals railtour (Waterloo > Paris Nord > Bruxelles Midi > Waterloo) in one day back in 1996..plenty of ambling time in two cities, so a full day in Paris could be very well spent.

87electric

My last day trip to Paris in March 2009 to celebrate paying off the mortgage. Plenty of time to go round all the stations inebriated. :lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
My only trip to Paris has been a day trip, 08:30 departure from St Pancras & 19:01 from Paris (arrives ~ 20:39). Gave me around 8 hours in Paris to sample some of the various metro stock and do some other touristy stuff.

Similar to a trip to Brussels.

fowler9

Established Member
It is on a list of capital cities I'd go to if you paid me along with Pyongyang, Canberra and Rome.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sounds good! I’ve done London - Copenhagen - Malmö - Copenhagen - London in a day (flying and Öresundståg)

robbeech

Established Member
Dunno what you’re all playing at. I’ve done London to New York in a “day” more than once ;)

An early flight from Heathrow, Few hours there and then a flight back getting in similar time the following morning to Heathrow. Somewhat tiring.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Dunno what you’re all playing at. I’ve done London to New York in a “day” more than once ;)

An early flight from Heathrow, Few hours there and then a flight back getting in similar time the following morning to Heathrow. Somewhat tiring.

Geez, I don't doubt it!!! Whoa!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don’t know. A nice Parisian meal with a good bottle of red before retiring to a nice hotel for the night is rather pleasant though...
Depends what you’re there for.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I don’t know. A nice Parisian meal with a good bottle of red before retiring to a nice hotel for the night is rather pleasant though...
Depends what you’re there for.

Now that's an idea I could get behind! For now though I'll make do with a roast chicken breast tea with a bottle of malbec at home. Close enough...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If it had been another airline, I'd have partaken of that! Sounds incredibly good fun. This does remind me I have a trans-atlantic trip to organise for 2018...

fowler9

Established Member
My sister normally flies to 2 European cities a day, bit different from the original question though I guess. Ha ha. I've done a day trip from Estonia to Finland and Croatia to Bosnia (That was a land border to be fair).

Status
Not open for further replies.