• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WW2 London Transport warden's helmet - chocolate teapot design!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received this as a present - it's originally from the London Transport Museum. Worn by London Transport ARPs in WW2, it's made of Bakelite instead of tin to prevent wardens being electrocuted if overhead cables fell on them. Thing is... Bakelite shatters when hit by anything hard!

London Transport helmet.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I would suspect that it was mainly intended to indicate that the wearer had some official status and you should do what he or she instructed, or go to them for advice, etc. It may have been worn by an ARP Warden, but I think that theirs normally had a large W on them and I would expect LT also to have used the W. Quite possibly, though this is a guess, intended for those running the shelters on the platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.