• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC from BHM to EXD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenPoints

Will a Vomiter or Mark 3 be used on the 18:12 from New Street on Monday.

It so bloody specific, who knows!

Am I right in thinking it will probabily be a Vomiter?

And usually on XC's track record for overcrowded trains in the past from my experience, if I don't get to sit in my reserved seat (what actually happens if I am left standing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
And usually on XC's track record for overcrowded trains in the past from my experience, if I don't get to sit in my reserved seat (what actually happens if I am left standing)

If they do not move after being politely asked, then I suggest you find the Train Manager and ask if he'd help you remove them.

lm321412

Will a Vomiter or Mark 3 be used on the 18:12 from New Street on Monday.

It so bloody specific, who knows!

Am I right in thinking it will probabily be a Vomiter?

The train will be a Voyager.

Last HST off BHM on a weekday towards Exeter is 1312 I believe.

You have every right to sit in your reserved seat, So speak to the TM if you have any problems

Trainbuff

It is definitely booked as a Voyager. HST's are often on wrong diagrams.

Call me a cynic but I guess it cant have anything to do with servicing costs being cheaper in the North than Great Western's costs at Bristol or Plymouth could it?

As for the seat Reservation, I am afraid that is not guaranteed. You do not pay for the Reservations so they are not enforcable, though often if the person sat in your resrved seat will not move the Train manager may be able to help.

At the moment there are problems with Reservations on some Voyagers, so that none are downloaded. If there is time they may have been paper labelled.

On a Monday night you should be ok though. No Matelots going to Raleigh after leave or Bootnecks going to Lympstone or Students heading home.

So you should have room

Hope that helps

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As for the seat Reservation, I am afraid that is not guaranteed. You do not pay for the Reservations so they are not enforcable, though often if the person sat in your resrved seat will not move the Train manager may be able to help.

Disagree with this, I'm fairly sure that somewhere either in the NRCoC or byelaws there is something that basically states that you must give up a reserved seat when asked by the person who holds the reservation. Failure to do so can lead to a fine.

So if someone is in your seat and refuses to move go find the guard and get them to help you.

jopsuk

Veteran Member

The Railway Byelaws said:
19. Classes of accommodation, reserved seats and sleeping berths
Except with permission from an authorised person, no person shall remain in any seat, berth or any part of a train where a notice indicates that it is reserved for a specified ticket holder or holders of tickets of a specific class, except the holder of a valid ticket entitling him to be in that particular place.

Direct link

The possible fine if you refuse to vacate a reserved seat when told to do so by the Guard (or TM, RPI etc) is £50 as far as I'm aware- if you find a paper reservation marker it will say what it is.

1812 from BHM to EXD is booked as a double set Mon-Fri, so as long as theres not too many units out fo action and its split for any reason you should be ok.

Trainbuff

I hope that you guys are right. Its just that as a Guard myself I was told that reservations are not enforceable as they are free.

Can you point me to the relevant piece of writing on this.

Cheers

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can you point me to the relevant piece of writing on this.

From a few posts above:

The Railway Byelaws said:
19. Classes of accommodation, reserved seats and sleeping berths

Except with permission from an authorised person, no person shall remain in any seat, berth or any part of a train where a notice indicates that it is reserved for a specified ticket holder or holders of tickets of a specific class, except the holder of a valid ticket entitling him to be in that particular place.

Link

The possible fine if you refuse to vacate a reserved seat when told to do so by the Guard (or TM, RPI etc) is £50 as far as I'm aware- if you find a paper reservation marker it will say what it is.

FrozenPoints

Thank you all for your help, and seems like I've helped along the way.

Tomorrow's journey should be cold, bleak and dark on the outside.

Stuffy, crowded, noisy and smelly on the in.

Exciting eh!

I must scratch up on my railway bylaws

TEW

Established Member
This train shouldn't be too busy as it is booked to be an eight carriage set, beware that only the front four continue past Bristol Temple Meads though, so make sure you are in the right part of the train. I've never caught it from Birmingham but from Bristol it is fairly quiet, and by that point it only has 4 carriages.

Last edited:

Trainbuff

Thanks for that info on the reservations. Of course if the System is not working it would seem to indicate there would be no automatic right to the seat despite the reservation.

Also in Practice we have not been told about fining customers for not moving. So unlikely to make a difference practically, though of course you can always ask for compensation from XC

If you are going past Bristol your best bet is front 4 as they continue onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.