• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC170's Usually unplanned outings

Status
Not open for further replies.

xc170

New year, so I thought I'd start one of these trip report threads.

06/01/18 - A (Very) brief visit to Crewe.

Had a rare and unexpected day to myself today, so decided to head out for a local(ish) rail journey. I've wanted to cover the Derby - Crewe line for a while, as living in Tamworth, it's not all that far away and I've never got around to doing it before, well, apart from the Derby - Tutbury and Hatton section after mistaking the Crewe service for the Matlock service last year. :D:D

The day started with the 14:09 from Tamworth to Derby, formed of 170103, arriving into Derby, I had about 10 minutes to buy a ticket to Crewe and grab a Costa.

With lunch and tickets sorted, I boarded the 14:42 Crewe service formed of 153383, last time I had this unit was from Wirksworth - Ravenstor and return last May.

Arriving into Crewe, it was getting dark, cold and I wasn't sure where the nearest Spoons was, so decided not to hang around just time to get a coffee for the return journey and back to 153383 to Derby, then 170108 back to Tamworth.

Can't say I'll bother with the Derby - Crewe route again any time soon, though rural and scenic in places, apart from a brief glimpse of the Harecastle Tunnel on the Trent and Mersey Canal, it didn't have any real features or much to look at. It felt quite dull and run down in places.

No photos from today but I'll leave you with a shot of 153383 at Ravenstor from last year.

153383 by Adam P, on Flickr

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
A line held back by its hourly frequency and normally single 153 (maybe a pair or a156 if your lucky).

A nice little day trip to Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.