• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yew's Great Rail Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
Hi all,

Sorry for the pompous title first off, but after Ivo's Adventure, I felt It was needed :)

In a few weeks, a close friend is back from his Year at the Nottingham University campus in Malaysia. Thanks to my new found love of rail travel, I have suggested doing a tour of some bits of britain

Currently my plan is as follows;

1. -Get a Midland Mainline service from Nottingham to London, Ideally a HST.
  2. -Spend the day in london, Most likely with a museum visit.
  3. - Catch the Caledonian Sleeper up to edinburgh or glasgow
  4. - Spend a day in edinburgh or glasgow, either looking at a castle or going on the glasgow subway at some point during said day.
  5. - Catch a train home at the end of this say (possible extension to cardiff if tickets are cheap and connections easy)

What do you think of this plan, is it a good idea or a bad one?
Im wondering if it would be easier to get the sleeper from scotland to london, to pick up bargin berths? and if we will be in the same room with the bargin berths?
Could it be a better idea to catch the Night Riviera down to cornwall? and do some surfing? However that makes the trip much longer methinks?

Thanks all, Yew :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
And heres me thinking you had been commissioned for an all new tv series!

Ivo

Established Member
And heres me thinking you had been commissioned for an all new tv series!

I want that TV series! :lol:

I think it's a good idea, but think that you need to have some odd smaller bits thrown in. If for instance you had the whole day for London, why not have a run to Brighton and back on a 442, for instance? For the most part though, it looks good.

sonic2009

Established Member
If you wanted to do the penzance sleeper as well. And were in scotland check a service around 5pm from edinburgh that goes via london and you can pick up advances. I have one booked from aberdeen on the 1452 in late july going via Kgx arriving in penzance 0759 next morninf for 59.00

Yew

Established Member
I want that TV series! :lol:

I think it's a good idea, but think that you need to have some odd smaller bits thrown in. If for instance you had the whole day for London, why not have a run to Brighton and back on a 442, for instance? For the most part though, it looks good.

We could work together for a tv series :)

The reason Im thinking agaisnt going to brighton, is that my friend isnt usually a railway person, and im tihnking there is rather a lot of time on a train, only to catch another one. However going to somthing beachy is why I did consider if the cornish sleeper could be a a better option.

Ivo

Established Member
Never mind a series; the number of things I've created for television series during the last few months would require an entire studio! The most recent is a children's cartoon whose premise is remotely similar to a certain anime whose dub was truly awful, but whose original - though feminist to a point - was actually pretty good...! I've written 22 pages for this thing so far, even thug it is only two weeks old - and with me having done 0% of that whilst away!

By the way, does this really belong in the FTR section?

Yew

Established Member
By the way, does this really belong in the FTR section?

I thought this was the best place to put it, as im going to be after advice on cheap fares (advances, bargin berths, if first class is worth it on the way back) and Routing (if i should go cornwall or scotland, ECML or WCML)

:)

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Some of the scenery on the East Coast main line, particularly through Durham, and in Northumberland/the Borders is so stunning that it almost seems a shame not to do that part of the journey in the daylight - though I can that would make quite an impact on your schedule

Yew

Established Member
Some of the scenery on the East Coast main line, particularly through Durham, and in Northumberland/the Borders is so stunning that it almost seems a shame not to do that part of the journey in the daylight - though I can that would make quite an impact on your schedule

With a bit of luck, the return train could have at least some parts in the light :)

Would you consider ti value for money to upgrade to first on East Coast?

Looking at it it seems to be just under twice the price, and available on both virgin and east coast. The only problem is east coast routes me via doncaster, then catching a train to retford with first hull trains. Wouldnt it be simpler to stay on the EC service to retford? or is it a fast service that doesnt stop there?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only problem is east coast routes me via doncaster, then catching a train to retford with first hull trains. Wouldnt it be simpler to stay on the EC service to retford? or is it a fast service that doesnt stop there?
It won't ask you to change trains for no reason! ;) The vast majority of EC trains pass through Retford without stopping.

Bargain Berths are quite rare, but for non-busy nights you may find them. If you book two together you will be placed in the same cabin.

As for East Coast, it depends. It may be worth the extra on a 1st Advance (depending on price differential). It is unlikely to be worth the extra on a weekend for Weekend 1st (except perhaps if doing Inverness-London and standard is busy). Without knowing the date or time it is impossible to guess.

Yew

Established Member
I
As for East Coast, it depends. It may be worth the extra on a 1st Advance (depending on price differential). It is unlikely to be worth the extra on a weekend for Weekend 1st (except perhaps if doing Inverness-London and standard is busy). Without knowing the date or time it is impossible to guess.

Thanks for the reply yorkie (and everyone else too, i havent forgotten!)

Im not sure if it will be a weeked trip or not, it will depend on prices, of advances for the first and last legs, and the price of the sleeper. :)

Weekday prices

Mansfield => London £15 standard £25 first
Edinburgh => Mansfield £17 standard £35 First (this one depends a lot on time, goes up by about a tenner at more peaky times)

Weekend prices

Mansfield => London £14 Standard £15 first
Edinburgh => Mansfield £22 standard £35 first (same cost all across the board, but there are less freebies right?)

Note, these prices where picked straight from thetrainline, however I will look for offers on TOC sites, I know EMT do discounts from their site, and I think EC do some too

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The prices will be far better if you can book far in advance. To get the best deals you're looking at August. There are some BBs available for £39 in July (e.g. EUS - EDB Tue 12 Aug, 2 @ £39 each) but most are sold out or £49. However on Wed 20 July there is one for £29 and two for £39 if you go to Glasgow, rather than Edinburgh. Take a look at the FSR BB site for full details.

Yew

Established Member
The prices will be far better if you can book far in advance. To get the best deals you're looking at August. There are some BBs available for £39 in July (e.g. EUS - EDB Tue 12 Aug, 2 @ £39 each) but most are sold out or £49. However on Wed 20 July there is one for £29 and two for £39 if you go to Glasgow, rather than Edinburgh. Take a look at the FSR BB site for full details.

Thanks :) Ive beek keeping an eye on the sleeper website, however i dont know when daniel is getting back from malaysia, and also what is happening with my uni work placement, however that should still give me enough time to get some bargin berths (ideally as soon after the next set come out to maximise savings :))

cuccir

Established Member
Thanks for the reply yorkie (and everyone else too, i havent forgotten!)

Im not sure if it will be a weeked trip or not, it will depend on prices, of advances for the first and last legs, and the price of the sleeper. :)

Weekday prices

Mansfield => London £15 standard £25 first
Edinburgh => Mansfield £17 standard £35 First (this one depends a lot on time, goes up by about a tenner at more peaky times)

Weekend prices

Mansfield => London £14 Standard £15 first
Edinburgh => Mansfield £22 standard £35 first (same cost all across the board, but there are less freebies right?)

Note, these prices where picked straight from thetrainline, however I will look for offers on TOC sites, I know EMT do discounts from their site, and I think EC do some too

10% off at East Coast. At the weekend on EC first class it's gonna be sandwiches instead of hot meals, and no alcoholic drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.