• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - Kings X 23.8.17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Not going to be much to write about as the train pretty much sails through England, calling only at Retford.

Few questions so far. 1E01 is planned to not stop at York, but to run through platform 5. Is there no way for the train to run avoiding York? I'm sure I've spotted some freight trains using the avoider as you leave the station.

Second question - are there any large speed changes between York and Doncaster? There was one point at which myself and the passengers opposite me had to pick up bags and pull/push laptops towards/away from themselves. Hesitant to give exact times, though the timing of this post narrows it down considerably!

Finally, what will happen to 1E01? Will we be routed away somewhere to allow it to overtake us, or is the time difference too great at this point? At the time of writing, the service has cut down it's time between us to 10 minutes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
At the next station call, the train made an almighty jolt, same as leaving York. What causes this? Pushing to the highest notch straight away?

Bayum

Established Member
1E01 two minutes behind us at Claypole Loop! How many signals would this be? Are they likely to be travelling pretty sharpish, or would they be restricted?

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 0540 Edinburgh - Kings Cross service normally goes via the platform at York, using the avoider is slower and adds in having to cross over the northbound lines twice

(A bit like when TPE run non-stop via Darlington, they tend to go via the platforms to avoid conflicting moves).

I would have imaged it would have overtaken you at Retford, but as both services are non-stop to London you will probably arrive ahead of the Scotsman. The jolt is due to the 91 gaining power without trying to rip the wires down :lol:

Bayum

Established Member
The 0540 Edinburgh - Kings Cross service normally goes via the platform at York, using the avoider is slower and adds in having to cross over the northbound lines twice

(A bit like when TPE run non-stop via Darlington, they tend to go via the platforms to avoid conflicting moves).

I would have imaged it would have overtaken you at Retford, but as both services are non-stop to London you will probably arrive ahead of the Scotsman. The jolt is due to the 91 gaining power without trying to rip the wires down :lol:

See, the last few 91s I've been on, I haven't had the issue of jolting!! We've just braked tremendously from 90mph+ outside Peterborough, to 30mph, coupled with screeching from the brakes in the vestibule!

No overtaking from 'The Scotsman'!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
See ordinarily, 1E01 would have passed your service at Darlington (1Y14 has a booked 6 minute wait there) but the Scotsman seems to have lost 20 minutes and in the end, has remained hot on your tail, arriving a minute behind your service.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Few questions so far. 1E01 is planned to not stop at York, but to run through platform 5.
It's booked through platform 3 ;) but they have the flexibility to use other platforms; 5 being the best alternative.
Is there no way for the train to run avoiding York? I'm sure I've spotted some freight trains using the avoider as you leave the station.
Yes, there is a way: they could relegate it to the slow lines just north of York (where the railway line goes over the river), it could then trundle along the freight lines, join the Leeds lines just south of York, and then cross back to the main lines at Colton North Junction. There would be a considerable time penalty for this.
Second question - are there any large speed changes between York and Doncaster?
No, the line speed rises to 125mph just south of York and remains at 125 throughout the Selby diversion until you're not too far from Doncaster. Of course a temporary or emergency speed restriction (TSR & ESR, respectively) could have been in place, or you could have caught something up or there could have been a conflicting move ahead (e.g. a London to Hull service going off the ECML at Temple Hirst Junction)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
See ordinarily, 1E01 would have passed your service at Darlington (1Y14 has a booked 6 minute wait there) but the Scotsman seems to have lost 20 minutes and in the end, has remained hot on your tail, arriving a minute behind your service.

Any regulation decisions re 1E01 and 1Y14 would be based on achievement of PPM i.e. T-10 at Kings Cross. The decision looked to have been that since 1E01 had no chance of making PPM there was little point in delaying 1Y14 somewhere south of Darlington to allow 1E01 to overtake.

1D53

Established Member
There's currently a 80mph TSR between Heck and Balne.

Status
Not open for further replies.