• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

YORK or SHEFFIELD Depot - TPE Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just passed my Conductors assessments for TPE. There are positions at York and one at Sheffield. I am yet to decide which one to take.

Are there any TPE conductors at York or Sheffield that can give me a quick list of pros and cons for both depots???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
There is an excellent ;) thread at the top of this sub-forum with routes that guards for TPE sign if that helps:

Sheffield:

Traction: 185
Sheffield-Manchester Picc via Stockport
Sheffield-Doncaster via Meadowhall & Swinton
Doncaster-Cleethorpes via Scunthorpe
Manchester Picc-Manchester Airport
Sheffield-Manchester Picc via Moorthorpe, Wakefield K, Huddersfield & Guide Bridge
New Mills South Jn-Ardwick Jn via Reddish North
Holmes Jn-Aldwarke Jn via Rotherham Central
Aldwarke Jn-Mexborough Jn via Thrybergh Jn
Nunnery Main Line Jn-Rotherham Central via Woodburn Jn

York:
Traction: 68/MK5a (some), 185, 802 (some)

York-Manchester Picc via Micklefield, Dewsbury, Marsden & Guide Bridge
York-Newcastle via Durham & KEB/HLB
York-Redcar Central via Yarm
York-Scarborough
Stalybridge-Manchester Airport via Manchester Vic & Ordsall Chord
Manchester Vic-Liverpool L St via Newton-le-Willows
Darlington-Eaglescliffe via Dinsdale
York-Leeds via Castleford & Methley Jn
Leeds-Huddersfield via Wakefield Kirkgate
Mirfield-Manchester Victoria via Hebden Bridge
Huddersfield-Brighouse
Longlands Jn-Northallerton East Jn via Boroughbridge LC
Deansgate-Salford Crescent
Manchester Vic-Salford Crescent (direct)

dalesrail

I would say York definitely has the more varied route card. Sheffield is pretty much just Man Airport - Cleethorpes with various diversionary routes thrown in. That said, the almost daily view of the Hope Valley from your 'office' window isn't too bad.

Atishyou

Also depends where you live. If you live closer to York, I'd suggest that'd be the better option, or same for Sheffield. You don't want to be travelling an hour for an early or late shift!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'd go for York if you could live with getting there at all hours of the day. It's a much more varied route card - you'll sign the whole of the TPE North route (apart from Newcastle-Edinburgh), along with lots of diversions. You'll also work 802s/Mk5s vs just the 185s at Sheffield.

York does have a number of unsociable shifts, mainly due to the overnight York-Manchester services, but this is balanced out by a fair number of 'normal' shifts. There aren't all that many Sheffield turns - it's a much smaller depot - and most involve an early start or a late finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.