• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zone U1256 ticket without maltese cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

This afternoon I bought a Zone U1256 to Glasgow Central advance ticket, route Virgin Trains Only on the Southern website. Collected this later on from West Ruislip.

The ticket is all correct, except there is no Maltese Cross on the route (which is shown on BRFares.com).

Do the LU ticket barriers look for the origin as being a Zone U* station or do they specifically look for the cross-London marker having been encoded?

The reason I ask is that I plan on using Ickenham, but if I may get problems I can use West Ruislip where access to the platform is available without passing through any ticket barriers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The ticket is correct. Zone U*** tickets are not printed with Maltese crosses. They still operate LU gates for one journey and LU staff know about them being valid.

David Goddard

Established Member
I suppose the logic to this is that you are not crossing London (ie coming from outside of the zones, passing through the middle and out again the other side), merely starting from within the zones instead.

OwlMan

Established Member
This afternoon I bought a Zone U1256 to Glasgow Central advance ticket, route Virgin Trains Only on the Southern website. Collected this later on from West Ruislip.

The ticket is all correct, except there is no Maltese Cross on the route (which is shown on BRFares.com).

Do the LU ticket barriers look for the origin as being a Zone U* station or do they specifically look for the cross-London marker having been encoded?

The reason I ask is that I plan on using Ickenham, but if I may get problems I can use West Ruislip where access to the platform is available without passing through any ticket barriers.

The LU barriers look at a section of the magnetic strip that is encoded with LU information.

The ticket is correct. Zone U*** tickets are not printed with Maltese crosses. They still operate LU gates for one journey and LU staff know about them being valid.

In fact, in cases where a Zones U*** ticket has been wrongly issued with a 'maltese cross', the cross-London coding on the ticket overrides the Zones U*** coding meaning that the ticket will not work the gates at an Underground station that is not set up as a cross-London interchange.

The Underground gate logic requires that the ticket be issued exactly in line with the agreed specification (which is unfortunate where the cross-London marker is incorrectly added to the ticket).

RJ

Established Member

Some of them are - I printed this one out earlier today;

Attachments

• SRG_01.jpg
    SRG_01.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 65

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Route +Via London for a Zone U12 ticket? Very rare. I presume such a ticket would prevent changing at West Ruislip to the Central line and getting off at a West London station as the pasenger hasn't gone via London.

IanD

Established Member
I've only ever bought 2 Zone U123... tickets and both have had a Maltese cross. Both were EC & Connections tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.